Matt Thomas | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matt Thomas

Re: Pick 42 Matt Thomas

skiptomystu said:
Nothing wrong with the pick. The armchair critics will ask why we didn't go younger in the Drafts but you only have to look at Collingwood who did'nt make any selections in the PSD/Rookie besides redrafting a player to see that they really didn't rate this draft crop. And they are the best in the business.

I think it's us who didn't rate the draft crop, not Collingwood. They picked 5 youngsters in the main draft (and one older). We only took 1.

Would have given Travis Tuck or Mitch Thorpe a go in front of Thomas.
Having said that RFC has been very good talent and character indentifiers in recent years so Perhaps Thomas beats the other two on this front.

Go Tigs!!!! Love cricket but can't wait till it's over to bring me closer to watching the Tigs next season.

This Is Anfield said:
Ever considered that Thomas may be rated internally in the 30's by the club & that if he gets a game it's because A. we've had a shocking run of injuries & he has come in as a last resort B. he's performed that well at VFL level that he's forced his way in.

Most likely he's a solid citizen who will be of tremendous value in our stand alone VFL side - don't underestimate the value of that in our junior development.
This selection is so unworthy of angst or panic (oh no it's back to the Wallace/Miller days for God's sake) it's mind boggling.

The key game is the loss to Gold Coast in Cairns in 2012 - we had guys like Webberley, Derrickx in the team who just weren't up to senior afl footy. Thomas means we can survive if we get a couple of injuries to our inside mids instead of losing a game we should win.

GoodOne said:
I think it's us who didn't rate the draft crop, not Collingwood. They picked 5 youngsters in the main draft (and one older). We only took 1.

Goody pies took 4 players;

6 – Matthew Scharenberg
10 – Nathan Freeman
65 – Tom Langdon
77 – Jonathon Marsh

Ok, and they elevated Oxley (21yo) at Pick 92. Point is they didn't not pick anyone in the rookie draft because there was no depth, they did so because they'd already selected 4 in the main draft.

GoodOne said:
Ok, and they elevated Oxley (21yo) at Pick 92. Point is they didn't not pick anyone in the rookie draft because there was no depth, they did so because they'd already selected 4 in the main draft.

Collingwood changed their plans upon seeing who was available at pick 65 & 77. They were originally going to take 2 players, and leave the others for the rookie draft. The fact they had two of the highly rated players available in the main draft caused them to pounce early. We could have done the same if we felt the same way.

As for the depth being poor, I've heard it all before and I won't buy into it. Adelaide secured Cameron, Battersby, Spina & Jake Kelly, that to me is a super haul and represents the exact types who generally do well as rookies.

Matt Thomas speaks to SEN's Morning Glory program about joining Richmond.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2013-11-28/thomas-on-sen

don't mind the pick at all, it's only a rookie spot, at least if we have injuries he can play a role, much better than having to play an 18y.o kid that needs 2-3 years developement just to be afl ready...

I guess the fact he was selected with our last rookie pick says it all.
Good citizen, honest inside battler, and insurance only should one of our key foot soldiers like Jacko go down.

Can see him playing a few senior games next year. A bull around the ball and at the least can help stop Cotchin getting busted up. Cheap Tuck replacement.

Very impressive around the clearances against the Pies.
Admittedly many team's mids will not be going as hard as he is in order to impress.
Could provide decent depth as the year goes on.

Tigers of Old said:
Very impressive around the clearances against the Pies.
Admittedly many team's mids will not be going as hard as he is in order to impress.
Could provide decent depth as the year goes on.

ToO I was most impressed. His ability to stay solid over the ball and squeeze out the handpass could be like gold to us this year.

Could be another one to add to the success column for the recycled players. He was instrumental in us posting a dominance in the clearances early on.

Carter said:
ToO I was most impressed. His ability to stay solid over the ball and squeeze out the handpass could be like gold to us this year.

Yeah he was terrific. Really puts his head over it and fed out with the best of them. Good cheap replacement for what Tuck offered us last year at the very least.

I'm impressed that he's old school bald. That is, he's bald, but doesn't deliberately make himself balder with a razor. Deserves a :clap