Matt Thomas | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matt Thomas

Re: Pick 42 Matt Thomas

Nickname needs to be AAMI, or Bingle, or RACV, or CGU, or QBE, or..

I just don't understand this pick. Middle aged battler. Where's the upside? He's already 26.

Looks more picked to take charge of our VFL team rather than contribute massively to the senior squad. Dangerous terriority.

but we need veterans to captain our coburg side, so the Craig McCraes of the world have a decent side to coach...

surely this is what it's about Barnzy :spin

Barnzy said:
I just don't understand this pick. Middle aged battler. Where's the upside? He's already 26.

Looks more picked to take charge of our VFL team rather than contribute massively to the senior squad. Dangerous terriority.

Fair enough you're not rapt with the pick, but 'dangerous' is a stretch.

Barnzy said:

This is the pick that disappoints me the most, I'd love to know how a guy can manage to play 80 odd games and only manage to average 5 kicks a match. Baffling to say the least.

Doesn't need to build a tank through preseasons. Can run out in the VFL straight away and will stay there for minimal cost on an unsecured contract with no impact to the salary cap. Provides experience to the magoos and a mature body. Straightforward if you ask me.

tommystigers said:
Doesn't need to build a tank through preseasons. Can run out in the VFL straight away and will stay there for minimal cost on an unsecured contract with no impact to the salary cap. Provides experience to the magoos and a mature body. Straightforward if you ask me.

Last pick in an apparently shallow draft - doubtful he'll be needed but will probably be ready if he is.

No expectations of any clubs last rookie selection to be honest - not worthy of too much angst I would have thought.

There are arguments for and against this pick but when its cold and wet in the middle of winter and if we have 3-4 injuries to midfielders it helps to have a mature AFL player who can come in and play a role around the packs.

He can do that. Whether we need it or not is debateable.

tommystigers said:

So recruit him straight to the VFL in that case.

tommystigers said:
So why pick him on an afl list if he's there for the ressies??
also if we get 3-4 midfield injuries I'd say we would then be struggling to make the 8 or impact in any way. In this instance I'm sure most would say throw in arnott helbig etc into the mids. Or would we be happy to leave our kids in the ressies and hope Thomas somehow starts avg 25 posies a game and boosts us into the finals??

If we're goin well Thomas doesn't get a gig.
If we have inj to major mids then we would most likely be struggling and if that the case I'd rather put some kids In The deep end, give them game experience and see wat they can do.
Either way don't see how he would play in the team.
So the point of picking him is?????????

keepa lids onit said:
So the point of picking him is?????????

I thought we were contractually bound to recruit a Port player once every two years

Baloo said:
I thought we were contractually bound to recruit a Port player once every two years
Bound to recruit an afl delisted hack in the almighty hope that somehow he suddenly turns into a quality afl footballer.

keepa lids onit said:
Bound to recruit an afl delisted hack in the almighty hope that somehow he suddenly turns into a quality afl footballer.

Must be a decent plan though. We've gone from garbage to nearly sneaking into a Top 4 finish in 5 years.

Baloo said:

Another Port Adelaide DUD.

Baloo said:
Must be a decent plan though. We've gone from garbage to nearly sneaking into a Top 4 finish in 5 years.
Yep. And that's all due to miller lonergan and pettifer. Geez they have put us right up there.
Wait till Thomas gets that ruck rover posi... My goodness me

keepa lids onit said:
Yep. And that's all due to miller lonergan and pettifer. Geez they have put us right up there.
Wait till Thomas gets that ruck rover posi... My goodness me

Ever considered that Thomas may be rated internally in the 30's by the club & that if he gets a game it's because A. we've had a shocking run of injuries & he has come in as a last resort B. he's performed that well at VFL level that he's forced his way in.

Most likely he's a solid citizen who will be of tremendous value in our stand alone VFL side - don't underestimate the value of that in our junior development.
This selection is so unworthy of angst or panic (oh no it's back to the Wallace/Miller days for God's sake) it's mind boggling.

This Is Anfield said:
Ever considered that Thomas may be rated internally in the 30's by the club & that if he gets a game it's because A. we've had a shocking run of injuries & he has come in as a last resort B. he's performed that well at VFL level that he's forced his way in.

Most likely he's a solid citizen who will be of tremendous value in our stand alone VFL side - don't underestimate the value of that in our junior development.
This selection is so unworthy of angst or panic (oh no it's back to the Wallace/Miller days for God's sake) it's mind boggling.

Nicely summed up.

Nothing wrong with the pick. The armchair critics will ask why we didn't go younger in the Drafts but you only have to look at Collingwood who did'nt make any selections in the PSD/Rookie besides redrafting a player to see that they really didn't rate this draft crop. And they are the best in the business.