Matt Thomas | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matt Thomas

Re: Pick 42 Matt Thomas

Tigers of Old said:
If we can't strengthen our contested ball brigade enough that we have to keep Thomas then forget it.
Agree, obviously there looking at keeping him if we can't land more grunt an mids over the next couple of months

CC TIGER said:
Agree, obviously there looking at keeping him if we can't land more grunt an mids over the next couple of months

Quite rightly.
If Cotch strains his quad, go to thomas. He can still get the ball forward. His attitude is exemplary. He's fit, has a dose of run, but not express, and can win contested ball. He should have played against North

Letsroar said:
I think you are selling Bennell short as regards contested possessions. A quick look at footywire indicated that he had 16 contested procession against Adelaide earlier in the year. Also against west Coast he had 7 clearances.

His averages are maybe not that high but in some games he obviously was playing an outside role so not so meaningful

Harley and everyone else at Suns had to compete with Garry for a kick as well as the opposition. Your best bet was to play ahead of Garry.

We certainly missed Jackson and Thomas around the clearances this year. The one area we were significantly worse.

Bill James said:
We certainly missed Jackson and Thomas around the clearances this year. The one area we were significantly worse.

Jackson yes.
Thomas no.

Can only rookie Thomas for one more year. After that if we want to keep him he has to go on the list. Yes. he's hard and he can get the ball out of the tight situations, but unless he's got a good user of it going past he's too slow to actually do much with it. Limited footballer and we have too many of them.

CarnTheTiges said:
Can only rookie Thomas for one more year. After that if we want to keep him he has to go on the list. Yes. he's hard and he can get the ball out of the tight situations, but unless he's got a good user of it going past he's too slow to actually do much with it. Limited footballer and we have too many of them.

Rarely hits double digits with the kicking, this has generally been my main criticism and is possibly the reason he isn't a regular best 22 player. A good ordinary footballer.

bullus_hit said:
Rarely hits double digits with the kicking, this has generally been my main criticism and is possibly the reason he isn't a regular best 22 player. A good ordinary footballer.
And last week showed that they're a luxury we can't afford.

I spose the recruitment of Townsend spells the end of Matt Thomas?

tigertim said:

I personally think that Thomas is a better footballer but I suppose Townsend has age on his side, both are limited in their own way.

bullus_hit said:
I personally think that Thomas is a better footballer but I suppose Townsend has age on his side, both are limited in their own way.

Have you seen Townsend play?

mrposhman said:
Have you seen Townsend play?

Like I mentioned on the other thread, yes I have, he has some good qualities such as tackling but I don't rate his disposal and his ball winning ability.

bullus_hit said:
Like I mentioned on the other thread, yes I have, he has some good qualities such as tackling but I don't rate his disposal and his ball winning ability.

I've not seen him play but sure am willing to give him a go.

For the record his ball winning stats against Melbourne look ok (11 contested possessions, 4 clearances) but his disposal efficiency was not great.

tigertim said:
Agree with this even though I'd never really heard of Townsend.
Thomas was an insurance type squad player - but we must look to a younger version now and preferably one who can get better.

I'm happy for Thomas to remain in the VFL squad and help show the youngsters about hard work and just grinding away even if you're output isn't of the highest quality. If Townsend is a younger version of him at least he has time to improve - Matt has reached his level.

Come on Dimma wont cut Matt loose. We are just coming into the golden age of super forward-line play with Thomas, Townsend and Morris down there to give Griff and Gordon a hand.