Matt Thomas | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matt Thomas

Re: Pick 42 Matt Thomas

CarnTheTiges said:
I really hope we're not resting someone. The last time we did that was the Melbourne game.

I would be quite happy if we rest Newman....for the rest of the season...

Blues might have their strongest line-up for the year, so can't afford to rest anyone. Start resting players if you have to once we are safely in the 8.

UntamedTiger said:
So much for developing and pushing our young talent. :-[
Plenty of youngsters been given a good look at seniors this year. There's been a whole bunch of them passed straight through a few blokes that have been around for a couple of years n perhaps aren't capable of grasping what's required structurally at senior level.
Why otherwise would first years like Ellis, Drummond, Menadue, Lambert, jump so far ahead of Dea, McDonough, Arnott, Lennon?

TigerMasochist said:
Plenty of youngsters been given a good look at seniors this year. There's been a whole bunch of them passed straight through a few blokes that have been around for a couple of years n perhaps aren't capable of grasping what's required structurally at senior level.
Why otherwise would first years like Ellis, Drummond, Menadue, Lambert, jump so far ahead of Dea, McDonough, Arnott, Lennon?

And Macintosh is an example of someone who appears to have learned what was expected of him. That looks like five new players to be tried this year. Lennon did not look great when he got another go, so hopefully there is something there.

Some people just want to flog the coach though. The number of young players we've given games to this year has been commented on before but it's not enough.

DIMMA IS KILLIN DA YOUTH

TigerMasochist said:

It is a matter of opportunity and dare I say patience. Some of these kids will need more than just a few games at the highest level
to settle and feel they belong. I agree with you with respect to some names you mentioned that have been there for a few years.
But, I have no idea if the likes of Mcdonough and Lennon can play, they have certainly not been given the same opportunity
as others in the team. If I recall correctly, McDonough came on as sub at 3/4 time, was certainly not the worst on the field form
us that day, yet he was dropped and not given another opportunity regardless of form.

Nothing against Thomas, but he does not improve the team one bit.

UntamedTiger said:
It is a matter of opportunity and dare I say patience. Some of these kids will need more than just a few games at the highest level
to settle and feel they belong. I agree with you with respect to some names you mentioned that have been there for a few years.
But, I have no idea if the likes of Mcdonough and Lennon can play, they have certainly not been given the same opportunity
as others in the team. If I recall correctly, McDonough came on as sub at 3/4 time, was certainly not the worst on the field form
us that day, yet he was dropped and not given another opportunity regardless of form.

Nothing against Thomas, but he does not improve the team one bit.

He's a known quantity. He'll come in, put pressure on, win contested ball, accumulate. If he has to kick it he'll shank a few, so the plan will be for him to hand it off. He's being brought in to play a tough inside role to soften Cartoon up on a cold, possibly wet Friday night. In that sense if he does play he does make the side better.

antman said:
Some people just want to flog the coach though. The number of young players we've given games to this year has been commented on before but it's not enough.

DIMMA IS KILLIN DA YOUTH

I agree he has introduced more youth this season. However, I would point out Dimma and selection panel, are quite
conservative with their team selection. They were far more adventurous once we were 2 & 4. No coincidence our
fortunes changed accordingly.

UntamedTiger said:
They were far more adventurous once we were 2 & 4. No coincidence our fortunes changed accordingly.
Obviously when the team is losing games n players are getting injured, there's always changes to the side and youngsters are given an opportunity.
Just as once the team settles on a combination that starts to win games consistently then only injury or really poor form will give opportunities to other players. Later in the year n heavier tracks, the coach is going to look first to the harder mature players to help maintain the winning form.
If we start to wobble then we look again at kids perhaps, but not just yet.
Question needs to be asked of certain second, third n fourth year players as to why the match committee bypassed them in favour of a bunch of first year players when the opportunities arose earlier this year. Not suggesting that any of them are about to be scrapped at seasons end, but there's obviously some who need to rethink how they're going about things if the young snot noses have leap - frogged them on the pecking order.

We are scraping the barrel when we upgrade Thomas who can get the ball but incapable of doing anything positive when he has it in his hands. Upgrade hacks is not the answer, we have to risk the young new blood when available of give people that have shown something the chance. We have seen what new blood can give us these last few games so we need to persevere on that

Tigers of Old said:
Beautiful day. Matt's silky skills to be on display.
Lets just hope he crunches a couple of Mould Coast youngsters n somehow manages to shovel the ball in the general direction of our more skilled players. That should be sufficient.