Matt Thomas | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matt Thomas

Re: Pick 42 Matt Thomas

Ugh, all I see is a treacle like slow plodder, takes an eternity to make a decision, and usually does nought with the ball. Call me a pessimist, but I'm sure we got shafted by the power on this one, (as usual)

Razorgang2 said:
Ugh, all I see is a treacle like slow plodder, takes an eternity to make a decision, and usually does nought with the ball. Call me a pessimist, but I'm sure we got shafted by the power on this one, (as usual)
how? we didn't trade for him, we got him in the rookie Draft....

whats the point of having him on the rookie list?

pumped said:
prefer to see a guy like Jordan Schroder on our rookie list tbh

21yo inside mid, Liston trophy winner with Mitch Hallahan -

Me too, but I'd have him on there instead of Arnott. Whilst Thomas is not a world beater and never will be, he is strong on winning the ball and putting pressure on the opposition. He certainly shouldn't be anywhere near our best 22 (and isn't) but would be fine as injury cover whilst we develop others.

I don't see Arnott that way and whilst I love his intensity, think we would be better suited to picking someone up like Schroder than keeping Arnott on the rookie list.

Harry said:
whats the point of having him on the rookie list?
I don't see any real upside and don't think we need both Thomas and Arnot as rookies. I Would have preferred to have re-rookied Ben Darrou. Different position but has more talent

Thomas is there for depth. Tim Tam is there for potential.

Will be a handy player on wet days but beyond that will be there for depth.

Razorgang2 said:
Call me a pessimist, but I'm sure we got shafted by the power on this one, (as usual)

More of a fictionist than a pessimist.

UKTiger said:
I don't see any real upside and don't think we need both Thomas and Arnot as rookies. I Would have preferred to have re-rookied Ben Darrou. Different position but has more talent
Unfortunately we couldn't re-rookie Darrou. He'd been a rookie for 3 years straight. You have to put them on the senior list after that long. I'm not overly fussed about having either Thomas or Arnot as rookies, but only one of them. I think both is overkill and limits our options.

It doesn't look likely we will pickup a big bodied inside mid in this offseason. The EF highlighted our major deficiency in grunt at centre clearances. With Jackson gone I think there is place for Thomas to play some targetted games next year. Despite all the contrary views, he played some ok games early in the season but later in the season he was only good for 1 quarter. I suspect his knee was affecting his ability to train and run out games. I'm not a particular fan but I think he can play a role for us until we develop a kid or get a quality FA.

Has been elevated to the main list today.

You know when the Matt Thomas page is at the top of the list it's time to get worried.

He is a good player in the wet, so if it is wet tomorrow I would have no problem if he is in.

CarnTheTiges said:
He's had solid form in the VFL, so it looks like he may be lining up against the Blues tomorrow night.
May be going to rest someone. Lids maybe? Or maybe just go shorter because of the weather?

Apparently filling the hole left when Drummond got injured. Second half of the season, damp n slippery grounds. Ideal time for the experienced hard bodied rough tough inside mids to take some of the load.
Unfortunately for us Conca, Foley, Petterd, Knights would usually be the ones expected to take some of this workload during the year n we've basically had nothing from them.
There's a couple of others, Ellis, McDonough n Arnott who aren't really in the position of inside grunt mids, form or fitness, so the role falls to Thomas.
Bit patchy at the moment with both Hamster n Thomas but that's what it is, hope they play their roles well n show some decent form for us.

I like Matt, tough and fearless. Be the right game for him to help us grind out a win against this rotten scum.

The Mole said:
May be going to rest someone. Lids maybe? Or maybe just go shorter because of the weather?
I really hope we're not resting someone. The last time we did that was the Melbourne game.

CarnTheTiges said:
I really hope we're not resting someone. The last time we did that was the Melbourne game.

No way we can afford to rest anyone. Need as many wins as possible.