Matt Thomas | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matt Thomas

Re: Pick 42 Matt Thomas

Tigers of Old said:
Hardwick made the right decision to take him off when he did. Don't think he will play next week.

Agree - Hardwick had a good game and out coached Bomber last night. Clamped down well on Chappie, got under the skin of Carlisle - rested Martin and Chimp one out deep in the forward line to effect and stopped the Essendon free running game. Essendon won the Heppell and Ryder dual - not many others.

Can't gave asked for more from the bloke himself, hard as they come, hates opposition, however plays the game at VFL pace, think he proves we still need a big bodied midfielder in Lethe Tucky mould , was used perfectly last night smashed bashed an crashed for 2 an a bit quarters then let the class come on, reckon he will be there next year, I wouldn't mind if he went back on rookie list but I'd rather a kid on the main list

Thomas and Grigg types have to be upgraded if we aim to be better next year.

The young kids in the VFL have to put their hand up consistently as Dimma will rather stick with these types until they prove otherwise.

This guy still getting a game shows that we lack depth in the midfield.

Must be upgraded. Happy for him to be VFL captain in 2015.

A workhorse, a battler and a fierce competitor who has most likely achieved to the best of his ability.
As others have suggested, Thomas being selected in the senior 22 means the Tigers are lacking the adequate depth. Thomas is a back-up player as best.

Poor bloke he bleeds for our club and goes where others fear to tread and has a nasty streak but is limited skills wise. I'm fine with him in best 22 but no play to go through him. He's done some good things for example a great underground handball that started a positive piece of play but there were howlers last night.

Just needs to do bullock work nothing else. Now Morris he's the disaster

CC TIGER said:
Can't gave asked for more from the bloke himself, hard as they come, hates opposition, however plays the game at VFL pace, think he proves we still need a big bodied midfielder in Lethe Tucky mould , was used perfectly last night smashed bashed an crashed for 2 an a bit quarters then let the class come on, reckon he will be there next year, I wouldn't mind if he went back on rookie list but I'd rather a kid on the main list
Unfortunately Thomas has not got the skill set that Tucky had. A VFL player at best

SCOOP said:
This guy still getting a game shows that we lack depth in the midfield.

Must be upgraded. Happy for him to be VFL captain in 2015.

You are right we do lack midfield depth but more specifically, we lack big bodied midfielders. We really only have Jacko, Thomas and maybe you could include Arnot. Of those, Jacko is the only trustworthy one with ball in hand and he's not brilliant.

CC TIGER said:
was used perfectly last night smashed bashed an crashed for 2 an a bit quarters then let the class come on,
I wonder if Dimma will do the same again. Whilst he lacks pace and a bit of polish the opposition mids certainly know that he's there. Unless Jacko is fit and ready to play I reckon this might be the strategy again.

I keep hearing that Matt's the player we needed to fill the hole left by Tucky. Shane was obviously the most important occasionally selected player in the history of the game.

Wonder how we would have went last years final with Matt in the side?

Tigers of Old said:
Not sure what I'm more confused about..that we offered him another year on the rookie list or that he accepted it?

If he wants to stay in the system and give himself a chance to play the big league he probably has no other choice.

As for us still wanting him I can still see why. Arnott was not able to force him out and he is still on the list.

I just hope we don't need him. Or if we do it is in the wet.

Club website has no rookies and Thomas on the senior list
Have we missed the rookie elevation notification?
Or is this because he was elevated in 2014 but will go back to the rookie list for 2015?

billyb#40 said:
Club website has no rookies and Thomas on the senior list
Have we missed the rookie elevation notification?
Or is this because he was elevated in 2014 but will go back to the rookie list for 2015?

Probably that they haven't yet cleaned up the 2014 list. Thomas definitely signed a 1 year deal as a Rookie, it was announced on RFC when Batch, Dea, McDonough etc signed.

Except that I noticed Dan Jackson has been removed from the playing list, so you would think they would update everyone at the same time. Is Matt definierly going back on the rookie list?

BT Tiger said:
Except that I noticed Dan Jackson has been removed from the playing list, so you would think they would update everyone at the same time. Is Matt definierly going back on the rookie list?

Posted on RFC web site 15th Oct.

With the AFL’s annual trade period drawing to its customary frantic finish, Richmond has moved to re-sign six of its players.

The Tigers have secured the services of versatile backman Jake Batchelor for a further two years (until the end of the 2016 season), while determined, young defender Matt Dea, talented, young utility Matt McDonough, promising, young big man Todd Elton, and experienced utility Ricky Petterd, have all accepted new one-year deals with the Club. Tough, inside midfielder Matt Thomas has re-signed as a rookie-list player for a further year as well.

prefer to see a guy like Jordan Schroder on our rookie list tbh

21yo inside mid, Liston trophy winner with Mitch Hallahan -