Matt Thomas | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matt Thomas

Re: Pick 42 Matt Thomas

I can't get my head around the bias against this guy, Petterd too for that matter. Thomas was very good last night, a few silly mistakes but his hands in close were excellent, really gave us an advantage in the clinches. Was a clever selection. Arnot wouldn't have had a 5th the impact Thomas did last night.

Stylo said:
Arnot wouldn't have had a 5th the impact Thomas did last night.

Look I agree, Thomas was in his element last night. But at what point do you look to a player who might make the club better in two years' time? If Thomas isn't seen as a permanent fixture in the side for the next couple of years, then he was played to get the win and quell disgruntled supporters. It's a dangerous trade-off.

I didn't see one person in the VFL side today prepared to do what Thomas does. That's the reason the young ones aren't getting a game. He is not the long term answer, but neither is playing Arnott, Helbeg, O'Hanlon etc who seem to pick and choose when they want to give 100%

Mappa said:
I didn't see one person in the VFL side today prepared to do what Thomas does. That's the reason the young ones aren't getting a game. He is not the long term answer, but neither is playing Arnott, Helbeg, O'Hanlon etc who seem to pick and choose when they want to give 100%
So what do we do? Keep Thomas on the list at the risk of stalling the development of a younger player or just throw everyone out and try again?

AstuteTiger said:
Ur entitled to ur opinion Baloo as I am so don't go saying I'm not even close when he is super slow, gave away frees and disposal very average, wat part of that isn't true....

When you claim what you say is "spot on" then you're claiming it's fact so I'm well within my right to challenge it.

If you're saying it's your opinion then cool, go knock yourself out.

(but seriously, if you can't handle people taking you to task on your posts, you should reconsider playing on the interwebz dude.)

CarnTheTiges said:
So what do we do? Keep Thomas on the list at the risk of stalling the development of a younger player or just throw everyone out and try again?

Is there a rule that we only play 19 and 20 year olds? Seriously, what's the problem with a 26 year old journey man? If he plays a role for 4-5 years, that's great isn't it?

If Lennon or McDonough or Arnott or Helbig played a cracker today, I'm sure the match committee would give them a go.

Baloo said:
When you claim what you say is "spot on" then you're claiming it's fact so I'm well within my right to challenge it.

If you're saying it's your opinion then cool, go knock yourself out.

(but seriously, if you can't handle people taking you to task on your posts, you should reconsider playing on the interwebz dude.)

Don't make me laugh can't handle the web please....Been on pre long enough and if u can't handle posters having an opinion then I suggest u stay away from posts who don't comply with ur way of thinking....
I don't mind challenging posts bring it on but urs wasn't, period....

lukeanddad said:
Is there a rule that we only play 19 and 20 year olds? Seriously, what's the problem with a 26 year old journey man? If he plays a role for 4-5 years, that's great isn't it?

If Lennon or McDonough or Arnott or Helbig played a cracker today, I'm sure the match committee would give them a go.

When did Thomas play a cracker or 'kill it' in the 2nds?

AstuteTiger said:
Don't make me laugh I've monstered guys in the ring and u think I can't handle the web please....Been on pre long enough and if u can't handle posters having an opinion then I suggest u stay away from posts who don't comply with ur way of thinking....
I don't mind challenging posts bring it on but urs wasn't, period....

Oh dear. Is it a full moon tonight?

TigerForce said:
He did win the Margarey last year, but that was because Port wouldn't play him in their firsts and that in itself should send a message to the Tigers that he's not a long term option. He's like Petterd and Grigg, should only be retained on the grounds that he's depth only. Wnen we're not automatically selecting his type of player with their limitations we'll be a better side.

TigerForce said:
I don't watch the seconds often. However, Thomas was better last night than anyone I saw today.

It's pretty simple I'd have thought... He is cover for when Jackson is injured... Doubt you will ever see him Jackson and miles in the same team

CarnTheTiges said:
He did win the Margarey last year, but that was because Port wouldn't play him in their firsts and that in itself should send a message to the Tigers that he's not a long term option. He's like Petterd and Grigg, should only be retained on the grounds that he's depth only. Wnen we're not automatically selecting his type of player with their limitations we'll be a better side.
When....seems too long.

He's only chosen because of experience and age. I suppose Dimma knows better than we do on who's needed, but let's not stall the younger players longer. IMO, Tim Clarke is not the answer. I can't see much system in the way the 2nds play and I doubt he just follows Dimma's orders to play 100% of the 1sts game plan. Different standard and level. Would've been better to have someone like Ayres, Knighter or Andy Collins back as coach.

lukeanddad said:

I think it points to serious concerns about the depth of our U23's. Thomas is the type of role player who can help you reach the finals. If you're not headed there, you need to do better.

Thomas was a very solid contributor in the win against WCE. And, yes, unfortunately, on my viewing of the VFL game today he does look better than many of the prospects running around in the ressies, which points to continuing concerns about the actual depth of the list.
In the end, as much as I wish all players displayed his hard-nosed effort at the contest I can't help but believe that as long as he is a consistent selection in the 22 then the Tigers will coninue to struggle to take the necessary steps to the elite tier of the competition.

TigerForce said:
He's only chosen because of experience and age. but let's not stall the younger players longer.

Surely you jest Forceful one. A slow old fart like Thomas stalling a younger players career, how about the younger player pulling his finger out and blowing the slow old geezer into the weeds?

IMO, Tim Clarke is not the answer. I can't see much system in the way the 2nds play and I doubt he just follows Dimma's orders to play 100% of the 1sts game plan. Different standard and level.

Doesn't matter what the level, the whole idea behind a stand alone reserves side is to teach them to play EXACTLY the same game plan as the firsts, so that if they're ever good enough to be elevated to the firsts. THEY KNOW EXACTLY WHAT TO DO BECAUSE THE GAME PLAN IS THE SAME. If the reserves can't get organised n play properly at their lower level, then there's no hope of them stepping up n playing properly at the higher intensity firsts level.

TigerMasochist said:
Surely you jest Forceful one. A slow old fart like Thomas stalling a younger players career, how about the younger player pulling his finger out and blowing the slow old geezer into the weeds?

'Slow old fart' like Thomas says it all really. Do we need slow old farts.....especially from other clubs?. There have been some 2nds players perform well enough and still not get a 1sts match. I sometimes wonder if Miles finally came in due to supporter pressure.

TigerMasochist said:
Doesn't matter what the level, the whole idea behind a stand alone reserves side is to teach them to play EXACTLY the same game plan as the firsts, so that if they're ever good enough to be elevated to the firsts. THEY KNOW EXACTLY WHAT TO DO BECAUSE THE GAME PLAN IS THE SAME. If the reserves can't get organised n play properly at their lower level, then there's no hope of them stepping up n playing properly at the higher intensity firsts level.

Sorry, I can't see any resemblance to Dimma's 1sts game plan.

TigerForce said:
'Slow old fart' like Thomas says it all really. Do we need slow old farts.....especially from other clubs?.

Guess we do if our home grown youngsters aren't capable of blowing them into the weeds.

I sometimes wonder if Miles finally came in due to supporter pressure.

PHHHHT! Yeah I'm sure Dimma n the match committee have nothing better to do then cop a nightly fix of PRE so they can learn how to select a team.

Sorry, I can't see any resemblance to Dimma's 1sts game plan.
Obviously that's because the magoos can't figure out how to play the firsts game plan n so they're stuck in the magoos just scrubbing around instead of bypassing all those tired slow old farts clogging up the firsts list.