Matt Thomas | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matt Thomas

Re: Pick 42 Matt Thomas

MalenyTiger said:
Way too harsh, he didn't have a good game last night but has been good up till now. Deserves another chance.
His disposal and footy smarts are terrible, he is a hard nut, with Jackson in he is redundant.

It's always easiest in hindsight. If we knew Griffiths was going to take the great leap forward, Miles would have been promoted instead of the Big O. Thomas has been good. Miles will get his chance, he is still only 21.

At least we are seeing the light after four weeks and not four years.

SCOOP said:
At least we are seeing the light after four weeks and not four years.

This one should have been nipped in the bud 4 minutes after the idea of picking him up was mentioned.

shawry said:
Well said mate. There are too many heroes on this board that must be AFL elite players with no flaws who never miss targets.

No one is saying all players must be elite or flawless (unless they are nuffies) but Thomas is two things that you can't be in footy today: Slow and a poor kick. You can be one but not the other. You'll struggle to find a player that has both of these characteristics in a top 4 side.

They said that about Tuck for years but Tuck did the hard yards in that area. Compare Thomas to Titch Edwards. Thomas a tractor. Titch a butterfly. Thomas gets the hard ball inside where there is not much room to move. Titch well when was the last time he was inside getting the hard ball. Butterflys do not venture there.

My biggest issue with Thomas is not being slow and a poor kick (his flaws). It's the efficiency of what he does well, inside work (his supposed strength).

Yes, he has a red hot crack. Yes, he throws his body at the ball. He gets his hands on it a lot, and digs it out of the packs. From what I can see though is that more often than not, when he does so he picks the ball up, gets bumped or tackled and drops/fumbles it out to opposition advantage. When he does get it out to a Richmond player, it's an impossible short handball to a player with another wrapped around him.

For me, if he is going to be slow, and a poor user of the ball, he has to be an elite extractor. He's a big body, he adds grunt, but I don't see the efficiency in his inside work. It's not like he gets the ball clear and dishes off to any sort of creative advantage. That was something Tuck did. It's something Foley does. Something Cotchin does. I haven't seen it from Thomas.

So the question for me is not, are his flaws to great, it's, is his strength that useful.

Needs be dropped.

Insurance only - in case Chimp or Jackson are injured.

When you combine him with our other midfielders we are too slow in there.

And Thomas is the weakest link. Goodbye.

CT again agree 100%..

Miles would have been better..

I do think Hardy knew it was going to be a tough year, didn't flog them, young list who had a great year last year.. Put him in knowing he could get him (mid year) if he shows bit and im sure that conversation was had..

Hardy knew we didn't have Jacko, Maric and possibly Del for the first few rounds..

I don't have a firm view on Thomas as yet. Over all.

I've seen some vices - very poor by hand in close and simply does not run the other way. Does not know his opponent's number. Weak overhead.

And some virtues - laser beam feet (maybe third best in the side). Watch the money kick - I50 having just stolen a metre. And ferocious at the fall.

IFF he can learn to hunt, with feet like those, he can play HFF.

Thomas had a bad game by foot? He'll fix that. His best kicks are very fine. His defensive running is the main problem. Hands next.

Over the course of the year I think he'll make it.

Tigaman said:
They said that about Tuck for years but Tuck did the hard yards in that area. Compare Thomas to Titch Edwards. Thomas a tractor. Titch a butterfly. Thomas gets the hard ball inside where there is not much room to move. Titch well when was the last time he was inside getting the hard ball. Butterflys do not venture there.
U serious? I'm sure someone will shoot me down with stats but I think titch gets plenty of inside and hard ball.

Thomas averaging 9.8 contested possessions this year. Titch us averaging 8.4
Source, afl site.

We can't have both him and Jackson in the same side. Insurance only. We looked better without him. Far too slow. A tractor like someone else said.

mad_doggy911 said:
We can't have both him and Jackson in the same side. Insurance only. We looked better without him. Far too slow. A tractor like someone else said.

People keep saying this, but it doesn't make any sense.

I think it works to say if we're missing Jacko, Thomas has greater value. Jacko's strength over the ball needs to be replaced, Thomas (theoretically) offers that.

But atm Jacko is probably our best midfielder. It's not "we can't have both in the same side" like Jackson has some sort of disadvantage amplified by Thomas.

If we can't have both in the side, it's because we can't afford Thomas in the side. Nothing to do with Jacko.

Coburgtiger said:
People keep saying this, but it doesn't make any sense.

I think it works to say if we're missing Jacko, Thomas has greater value. Jacko's strength over the ball needs to be replaced, Thomas (theoretically) offers that.

But atm Jacko is probably our best midfielder. It's not "we can't have both in the same side" like Jackson has some sort of disadvantage amplified by Thomas.

If we can't have both in the side, it's because we can't afford Thomas in the side. Nothing to do with Jacko.

It's about the abiding view that Jackson is a liability, CT. Seriously - Jackson?

Should never have been upgraded, that spot should have gone to Miles. I cringe every time this guy gets the ball.

Hopefully he is now confined to being a third change midfielder.

Tigaman said:

Time for a visit to SpecSavers.