Matt Thomas | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matt Thomas

Re: Pick 42 Matt Thomas

GEDS1 said:
I must have been having problems the other night cause I gave him votes. He seemed to be in a lot of contests and really going hard and obviously harder, a lot harder, than the other blokes in our side. Maybe its a blight on our current team but he is one of our best players so far this season and he kicked a remarkable goal - or so i thought - last week.

Far from our worst, can't believe the calls to have him dropped.

bullus_hit said:
Far from our worst, can't believe the calls to have him dropped.

Certainly not our worst, but we aren't in good shape if he's one of our best.

St Kevin said:
Certainly not our worst, but we aren't in good shape if he's one of our best.

That's not the point, if he's doing his job he should stay. Reading some of the commentary last week, one would think it was all Thomas' fault.

His job was to tag Pendles, wouldn't have thought he did it overly well, though Pendles is basically untaggable. The ire towards Thomas, isn't so much that he is an awful player or that any of our losses have been all his fault (from those aren't nuffies). What he is, is a tremendously limited player and at 27 years of age, he isn't going to get any better.

My main issue with him, is that he was upgraded over Miles, who is younger and has proven he can perform the role of tagger and extractor at AFL level and at NEAFL/VFL level. If you've got a 22 year old and 27 year old who do the same job, to a similar degree of effectiveness you pick the 22 year old. No other way about it. 5 years younger, with a far greater ceiling and opportunity to become a better.

That I think is the inherent issue with Thomas. He's not going to improve or overly improve us as a team, irresepctive of whether he does is job or not.

St Kevin said:
His job was to tag Pendles, wouldn't have thought he did it overly well, though Pendles is basically untaggable. The ire towards Thomas, isn't so much that he is an awful player or that any of our losses have been all his fault (from those aren't nuffies). What he is, is a tremendously limited player and at 27 years of age, he isn't going to get any better.

My main issue with him, is that he was upgraded over Miles, who is younger and has proven he can perform the role of tagger and extractor at AFL level and at NEAFL/VFL level. If you've got a 22 year old and 27 year old who do the same job, to a similar degree of effectiveness you pick the 22 year old. No other way about it. 5 years younger, with a far greater ceiling and opportunity to become a better.

That I think is the inherent issue with Thomas. He's not going to improve or overly improve us as a team, irresepctive of whether he does is job or not.

I prefer Miles but Thomas has surprised me, no shame in lowering your colours to Pendles, he was BOG only a couple of weeks ago. It just seems that as soon as a player has a minor dip in form, the lynch mob go into overdrive. Thomas would be pretty close to leading our B&F, I don't think one can level blame at his feet.

When he went off it improved us tonight. It makes me wonder if Lamb was right with his comments last week?

I thought not. But after tonight not so sure.

I think Thomas might have got a bit of concussion after bring hit in the 2nd qtr.

Game opened up for us once he went off. I like his tenacity but TOO SLOW.

He tackled hard again but the moment he was subbed off we started to click into gear. A battler but limited in creativity so maybe we upgraded the wrong person and should have upgraded Miles who has considerably more strings to his bow.

RUNVS said:
Game opened up for us once he went off. I like his tenacity but TOO SLOW.
Was thinking the same. We got our run going and quick movement.

Tiger Pops said:
Covered Jackson... Jacko is back, time to bring in some younger more creative talent.
Yep. Love his endeavour but he's a depth player a best. A wasted pick and elevation onto the list. Dimma calls it moneyball, but in reallity its just another band aid fix.

Didn't touch the ball in the 3rd qtr, that why he was subbed. The good start to the season has faded away in the last 2 weeks

zippadeee said:
Didn't touch the ball in the 3rd qtr, that why he was subbed. The good start to the season has faded away in the last 2 weeks

The good thing here is that coaches recognised it and got him off for Gordon. Maybe the curve is swinging up...?

Too slow & poor kick. Not AFL standard. Can see how he won the medal in secondary comp, but not good enough. Why did we upgrade Thomas instead of Miles?