Matt Thomas | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matt Thomas

Re: Pick 42 Matt Thomas

Tigers2011 said:
Too slow & poor kick. Not AFL standard. Can see how he won the medal in secondary comp, but not good enough. Why did we upgrade Thomas instead of Miles?

At least thomas played well in the first 2 games, but Stephenson should've never ever been elevated

I've seen enough. Would rather Foley out there or, heaven forbid, Miles.

Can win a hard ball but too slow and disposal attrocious

If i had my nose smashed I would struggle a bit too. Did a heap of unrewareded grunt work. Happy to have guy who kills himself each week for the club

Ghost of 29 said:
If i had my nose smashed I would struggle a bit too. Did a heap of unrewareded grunt work. Happy to have guy who kills himself each week for the club
Have to disagree casper. I too really admire his courage and grunt work, but that's simply not enough these days.

Have to cut him some slack that hit knocked him about. He didn't ave his best night.

Arnott has gone passed him
Lets let go
Tries hard and would die for the jumper but like Damian tooooooooo sloooooow

As soon as he was subbed off we looked a lot better.

Foley should come in for him.

Agree with most, again what disappoints me most when Thomas wins the footy, there should be options coming past on the outside for him too dish off too, Hard as a cats head, but Miles looks much more complete and not sure why he plays so wide of his opponent when he is tagging except for stoppages

Has almost zero class. Has won us a game this year and that'll probably do it.

I'll say this again for the millionth time. Miles should've been upgraded ahead of him. Thomas is a valiant battler but nothing more. I'm actually surprised he's held is spot this long with Jacko and Arnot back.

Ghost of 29 said:

Well said mate. There are too many heroes on this board that must be AFL elite players with no flaws who never miss targets.

St Kevin said:
I'll say this again for the millionth time. Miles should've been upgraded ahead of him. Thomas is a valiant battler but nothing more. I'm actually surprised he's held is spot this long with Jacko and Arnot back.

Don't be surprised, for many (including Hardwick) both in recruitment and team selection being a valiant battler is more than enough.

Way too harsh, he didn't have a good game last night but has been good up till now. Deserves another chance.

Yes, he is slow and lacks class and awareness, but of the candidates his preseason form was the strongest so it was a logical move to upgrade him - he deserved it.
At least he has a dip. We should be scrutinising blokes like Grigg. He gets picked every week, refuses to smash in to an opponent, gets it 25+ times then does nothing with it. What we get from Grigg is either a straight out turnover from a panic kick, a sideways/backwards kick so it's, to quote that annoying **** Dwayne Russell, "someone else's problem", or a slow loopy kick directly to a contest. Thomas contributes more than Grigg.

Tygrys said:
Don't be surprised, for many (including Hardwick) both in recruitment and team selection being a valiant battler is more than enough.

Funnily enough, I posted in another thread that Hardwick seems to building the team in his own image. Hard, tough battlers with little pace and average skills. If so, it's a worry given the way the game is trending.

St Kevin said:
Funnily enough, I posted in another thread that Hardwick seems to building the team in his own image. Hard, tough battlers with little pace and average skills. If so, it's a worry given the way the game is trending.
Yes you've nailed it Damian has a compassion for the good Aussie battler
It's been evident from day one when he played Relton Roberts who looked horribly obese and unfit
It's now getting uglier our list is infested with hard luck story ( poorly skilled )footballers
Some people call them journeymen bu we all know they are list cloggers no matter how big their hearts are

He deserves some slack given he copped a heavy knock but the calls for Miles to be promoted are spot on. Preseason I actually had them neck & neck so Thomas may even consider himself fortunate to get the nod. In saying that, he's actually exceeded my expectations but it's gotta be back to the future.

Dimma said pre season something to the effect that the rookie list is used as insurance now. Fair enough Thomas was in the team when Jacko was out but now he is back in there is no need for Thomas and while his endeavor is admirable, he needs to be moved out for some run and carry.