Matt Thomas | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matt Thomas

Re: Pick 42 Matt Thomas

Brodders17 said:
thats what i saw too.

Yeah it stood out. Showed that modern footy isn't solely about winning the contest, it's about getting away from the contest cleanly and opening up space.

SCOOP said:
Yeah it stood out. Showed that modern footy isn't solely about winning the contest, it's about getting away from the contest cleanly and opening up space.

It's about having options to kick or pass to. We have none as there are no runners.

CC TIGER said:
I don't disagree with a lot of comments here but I dips me lid to the bloke, he can't have busted his balls anymore for the club, I think he does bring out a fault in our attitude at the moment, the amount of times he has one the footy, held on to it wanting a handball option to come past then ended up just kicking it forward is criminal, he could be more of positive aquasition if our team was working harder

Exactly. It's like possession is 9 tenths around here.

SCOOP said:

It was noticeable wasn't it?

Excellent at getting first hand to the ball, very poor at turning that into an advantage.

Jason King said:
It's about having options to kick or pass to. We have none as there are no runners.

This is why Thomas has to give way.

It's not his fault, he's doing what's asked of him, and he's putting in his all. But the balance of the side is all wrong.

Thomas was a good pick up. Filled a role in the absence of a hard inside mid. He was great insurance if we were running light on hard inside mids. But we have more a full complement of those. And Thomas is the most limited.

Clearances were not a problem on Friday. Use of the ball, positioning, and outside run was. So Thomas gives way for Foley/McDonough/Lennon/Knights

Coburgtiger said:

It's not his fault, he's doing what's asked of him, and he's putting in his all. But the balance of the side is all wrong.

Thomas was a good pick up. Filled a role in the absence of a hard inside mid. He was great insurance if we were running light on hard inside mids. But we have more a full complement of those. And Thomas is the most limited.

Clearances were not a problem on Friday. Use of the ball, positioning, and outside run was. So Thomas gives way for Foley/McDonough/Lennon/Knights

I do agree to some extent, I just fear who will win the ball with him gone.... Jackson? Same dilemma there.

Coburgtiger said:

Thomas did not have a good game Friday, however he was not the reason we lost.

Our forward line was to completely open in the first quarter, it was a coaching problem.

Thomas is ranked 18th in the AFL for contested footy, with 75% disposal efficiency, which much better than most in the top 18 hard ball get winners. Sure Thomas made some mistakes on Friday night, but he provides a role model for what is required in terms of hardness.

Set the non-negiatables first, then replace players with better skills.

Thomas may not make a top 4 side but he may help us set the standards of what is required. Lets not put the cart before the horse folks.

Sorry guys but I'm going to have to disagree with most on Thomas , he has been a shining light and the least of our concerns thus far. To me it's some of the boys that he is playing with that are the issue, not working or running hard enough to give him easy options. You see him looking for someone to give it to and there's no one there so he has to go it alone.

ARCHYBOY said:
Sorry guys but I'm going to have to disagree with most on Thomas , he has been a shining light and the least of our concerns thus far. To me it's some of the boys that he is playing with that are the issue, not working or running hard enough to give him easy options. You see him looking for someone to give it to and there's no one there so he has to go it alone.

That's pretty much my view, ARCHY.

I'm going to guess that Thomas plays to instruction. Not that he has pictures of the coach and a goat. (The goat is winning.)

His main play is the sledgehammer play. (Similar to the Sledgehammer play that Grant Thomas invented for the 20yo Luke Ball but a bit more varied.)

Thomas starts behind the ball at the stoppage and then runs through the pack at the fall, either winning the ball or creating chaos in the other teams formation. If he gets it it's a panic for us. If he doesn't it's a panic for them. When he winds up he is momentous.

This play takes a lot of petrol tickets. Thomas rarely runs the other way.

Sometimes he stands under the ball he has little acceleration to create his own space. And to date not the speed and accuracy to dish reliably.

He's not good enough, to date, to play that midfield role in a high achieving team.

But if he gets a second to think about it his feet can be laser like. (Did anybody think he could possibly miss that most recent goal shot?)

I believe he has a fine future as a HFF change mid. His feet can be awesome.

trouble is that thomas , jacko, edwards, etc form a bottom 4 team in overall midfield ability, no wonder most teams with better skilled mids are beating us, carlton had mids out which evened up our mids ability, with brisbane having their top 2 mids out, we will win, but it was a sign when a player thomas was killing it at sanfl level and port still didnt want him in their team, yes trys his gutse out, but we need this plus class, because every team has class mids. i would play lennon and mcdonough most weeks and mcbean also after 2 good vfl performances, start setting up our future and get a extra top 20 pick this draft, with some luck and planning, we can inject several class youngsters into our lineup from our vfl and this draft, we still need an injection of class

jokershoppe said:
trouble is that thomas , jacko, edwards, etc form a bottom 4 team in overall midfield ability, no wonder most teams with better skilled mids are beating us, ...

Jacko has been using the ball better than some of our more highly regarded players. He's also been getting a lot of contested balls, has been high in clearances and has been kicking some very good goals in the last year or so. I reckon plenty of top teams would have a spot for Jacko...he might even prove to be a far better player than many here give him credit for...in fact he has already proved that actually.

Thomas can hold his head higher than almost all of our players. His positives far outweigh his negatives at this stage. He's given heaps.

For someone who is slow and supposedly poor skills he's been terrific
I'm sorry he's been our best mid behind cotchin Thomas is not the issue it's the stagnant people around him who refuse to run work hard and put their bodies on the line when it's their turn
We all know who they are and they have been around for a while. One player for 8 years
If we get rid of the mice the so called cats like Thomas will shine

He's cold steel over the ball, clean below his knees, bullocky strong and really handy at slipping through niche space. His initial disposal is as good as anyone's in the team. He's not the problem so long as he's not asked to do what he can't.

I agree with others that the rest of the midfield don't work hard enough spreading, gut running and defending.

ARCHYBOY said:

Spot on. Thomas has been playing to his level and a decent replacement for Tuck. If he goes out and Cotch gets heavily tagged again we will get murdered in contested footy.

The problem is on the outside. Grigg, Edwards, Newman, Houli.

what was Dimma doing pitting him head to head with Pendlebury?? Talk about taking a knife to a gunfight. He has actually been good Thomas but is obviously purely a role player and to have him just freewheeling on the second best mid in the comp had to be an attempt at humour. Unfortunately it played out too predictably to be funny. Dimma has formed a habit of getting mugged on the match ups. Teams come in with a plan for us and we seem to get dictated to by the opposition.

only watched a few lowlights, but Thomo seemed to have lanolin or somethin' on his hands.

Daigoro said:
what was Dimma doing pitting him head to head with Pendlebury?? Talk about taking a knife to a gunfight. He has actually been good Thomas but is obviously purely a role player and to have him just freewheeling on the second best mid in the comp had to be an attempt at humour. Unfortunately it played out too predictably to be funny. Dimma has formed a habit of getting mugged on the match ups. Teams come in with a plan for us and we seem to get dictated to by the opposition.
Agree, was a shocking match up. Thomas has been good so far this year. Certainly had a shocker last Friday, but there are plenty of others to go before he does. We badly need some more class in our midfield, any youngsters at GWS who arent getting opportunities currently?

jokershoppe said:
trouble is that thomas , jacko, edwards, etc form a bottom 4 team in overall midfield ability

Correct. Add Grigg too and Conca looks sluggish and his ball use is not up to standard.

Daigoro said:

Agree. Very bad match up.

I must have been having problems the other night cause I gave him votes. He seemed to be in a lot of contests and really going hard and obviously harder, a lot harder, than the other blokes in our side. Maybe its a blight on our current team but he is one of our best players so far this season and he kicked a remarkable goal - or so i thought - last week.