Matt Thomas | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matt Thomas

Re: Pick 42 Matt Thomas

St Kevin said:
And what's worse is he's 27. He's not going to improve, his peak is right now. Why he is being shoehorned into our best 22, when we have younger inside midfielders playing well in the reserves is truly mystifying.

I reckon ATM he is easily in out best 22 no matter how you want to mark him for performances he's been in our top 5 so far this season.

I have been happy with Thomas up until Friday night, but unhappy with our list development that has him a first up start in our mid field. Losing White is a pity but he was a PRE whipping boy for years who also showed some glimpses last year. He would still be on the outer at Richmond this year as a sub/burst player off a flank as he is at PA. It is ridiculous to lament these two as they obviously fill completely different roles.

So what does Thomas give us. Many have said he is a perfect replacement for Tuck as a big body going hard in the midfield. There are actually many similarities; big bodied, hard at it and poor skills (although Tuck was better overhead and not a bad set shot). But why can't we have a big bodied, hard at it midfielder with speed, a tank and sublime skills? Ahh well if you can produce that at will from a compromised draft or by steeling a player from another club or the VFL then load up and the flag is yours.

The question now is do we persist with Thomas as our preferred option in the midfield. What other choices are there? Do we need a big body in there. Is Arnott able to provide the same things with more upside?

My view is, you look at our midfield and there are too many that go missing, and too many that seem to have gone backwards with their delivery (Grigg, Ellis, Conca, Edwards).

All teams need the tough players, and we don't have enough, last year we were last for average tackles per game, and IMO we brought him in for tackling pressure and some additional clearance work. I think he does this well, but the players just aren't there to give the ball to.

I would persist with him as I feel he is doing his job fairly well, the big problem we have is that we have too many that aren't playing their roles well (Edwards, Conca - seems to just want to handball, yet he was a pretty good kick last year I though, Ellis, Grigg, Newman). If these guys were playing well and presenting for the ball, then he wouldn't need to kick.

One other weakness he has which is common with our list is how slow he is to
transition into defensive running.I remember Pendlebury jogging through the middle and
Thomas couldnt get near him. We needed to draft faster endurance runner types

Thomas has been good. He would've been even better if the others lifted and got their hands dirty

The return of Jackson and the form of Arnot means Thomas makes way for someone with more run for me.

Thomas is OK and fills a role for the time-being.
No one can question his hardness at the contest, yet I can't see him helping take the Tigers forward and further up the ladder.
The reality, somewhat disappointing really, is that Thomas will continue to be in the best 22 until the Tigers develop or recruit some better players.

Until the actual so called "skilled" players stand up and remove the reliance on the second and third tier grunts you will find players like Thomas will be major ball winners and distributors. The people being so critical of Thomas had made their minds up on him before he even played a game. Just still sucking on a lemon because miles didn't get a call up and the orren thread is desolate.

So why not actually have a go at the plebs who get paid well and still make no difference to the side when it matters?

In the Blood said:
I have been happy with Thomas up until Friday night, but unhappy with our list development that has him a first up start in our mid field. Losing White is a pity but he was a PRE whipping boy for years who also showed some glimpses last year. He would still be on the outer at Richmond this year as a sub/burst player off a flank as he is at PA. It is ridiculous to lament these two as they obviously fill completely different roles.

So what does Thomas give us. Many have said he is a perfect replacement for Tuck as a big body going hard in the midfield. There are actually many similarities; big bodied, hard at it and poor skills (although Tuck was better overhead and not a bad set shot). But why can't we have a big bodied, hard at it midfielder with speed, a tank and sublime skills? Ahh well if you can produce that at will from a compromised draft or by steeling a player from another club or the VFL then load up and the flag is yours.

The question now is do we persist with Thomas as our preferred option in the midfield. What other choices are there? Do we need a big body in there. Is Arnott able to provide the same things with more upside?

I say VFL for Thomas until we are in strife with midfield numbers.

Play Arnot, Jacko, Conca and Foley as the grunts. Martin Deledio Ellis Maddonna Lennon Flossy as the cream.

Cotch to play full forward until the bear hug is penalised.

MalenyTiger said:
Exactly Thomas is not our problem atm

Beg to differ.

He continually failed to free the arms and hit targets and when he did they were hospital balls.

Hatched the ball all night and let the Pies get easy clearances as a result.

lamb22 said:
Beg to differ.

He continually failed to free the arms and hit targets and when he did they were hospital balls.

Hatched the ball all night and let the Pies get easy clearances as a result.

That's what happens when your teammates stand still. At least he won the ball, kicked a goal and had zero clangers. Also played 100% game time and some wonder why he is slow? It seems that the hate dan Jackson and king used to get just filter over to the new guy.

osakabull said:
Thomas is a similar prototype to a lot of our players.Very limited skills, slow
but hard at it.

That's what special about Richmond. We don't just accept mediocrity, we positively embrace it and go out looking for more of it. We're like starving raccoons, come draft time there isn't a club recycle or garbage bin that we won't happily rummage through. No doubt they'll be at least another Thomas or two come next draft. A desperate Hardwick will probably be in survival mode and he'll try and top up further. It's the Richmond way...

Jason King said:
That's what happens when your teammates stand still. At least he won the ball, kicked a goal and had zero clangers. Also played 100% game time and some wonder why he is slow? It seems that the hate dan Jackson and king used to get just filter over to the new guy.

I agree, I think its the supposed "ball users" that are our problem at the moment. If they moved an were available he wouldn't have to kick at all. This is one of the reasons why I would love to have Lennon in on Thursday night

You can't carry designated handballers. When Thomas got the ball, Collingwood players stayed off him, covering handball options and willing him to kick it.

He is a dud. Slow with poor skills.
Hinkley is no fool and thats why he was delisted.
Sad to see a list clogger like this walk straight into the club and get a prime midfield spot.
And its even sadder that Hardwick rates him.

Dùuuuuuuuuuuuuudddddddddd

Hard at it but slow of mind and foot with terrible skills. Forget finals if this guy is in our best 22.

Ball magnet that turns it over.
Worst type of player to have in the team.

Recruit to be a backup and is getting a regular gig.
Sad case for us.

Should not be in the team
Should never been recruited.

I don't disagree with a lot of comments here but I dips me lid to the bloke, he can't have busted his balls anymore for the club, I think he does bring out a fault in our attitude at the moment, the amount of times he has one the footy, held on to it wanting a handball option to come past then ended up just kicking it forward is criminal, he could be more of positive aquasition if our team was working harder

spook said:
You can't carry designated handballers. When Thomas got the ball, Collingwood players stayed off him, covering handball options and willing him to kick it.

thats what i saw too.