Matt Thomas | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matt Thomas

Re: Pick 42 Matt Thomas

SCOOP said:
Unskilled trier. Goes to ground. One paced. Nothing on the spread, poor by foot. Slow on transition. Ball watches. Poor mans Jackson, can only carry one of those types.

Shut the gate. This. Superb analogy of Jackson, has nailed it right between the eyes.

Last night, I put my finger on him as the one ruining our midfield.

1. He doesn't run.

2. He goes sideways.

3. He fumbles.

4. He misses the target with nearly every handball.

5. He cant kick long.

6. He kicks short poky sideways kicks that hold up play.

7. Avoids the hard tackle when tagging.

Blair Hartley's gone down about 15 points in my footy respect order, over Thomas.

Spoke to my son today about my thoughts on Thomas. He said that's the reason "we" got rid of him.

BTW: Congrats to both Matt White & Jay Schulz, both played excellent games for Port.

Phantom said:

1. He doesn't run.

2. He goes sideways.

3. He fumbles.

5. He cant kick long.

8. Above = No good.

How could they let white go and recruit Thomas.

Yep!

I have watch the game again, but I reckon there must be 10 centre bounce clearances that he gave to the opposition by either fumbling or handball turnovers.

Reckon if I counted all stoppages the total would multiply.

Silent Bob said:
Thomas can't do anything Arnott can't do so why is he in the team?

Reckon there's an innate conservatism in the selection committee or coach that sees them or him prefer or defer to the more experienced player.

Phantom said:

1. He doesn't run.

2. He goes sideways.

3. He fumbles.

5. He cant kick long.

Blair Hartley's gone down about 15 points in my footy respect order, over Thomas.

Spoke to my son today about my thoughts on Thomas. He said that's the reason "we" got rid of him.

BTW: Congrats to both Matt White & Jay Schulz, both played excellent games for Port.
Spot on Phantom. Glad someone else can see past the "ATLEAST HE TRIES" comments. Intead of adding class to our midfield we have added a plodder with abysmal skills. Cannot for the life of me understand how he was upgraded over Miles and how we let White go and brought someone of lesser ilk to the club.

Things are really starting to get very odd at Tigerland. Something is very wrong behind the scenes.

Phantom said:
Reckon there's an innate conservatism in the selection committee or coach that sees them or him prefer or defer to the more experienced player.
I reckon you are on the money Phantom, that's also why he picks Grigg and Edwards. Hardwick is clutching at straws instead of seeing what Arnott can really do.

Jason King said:
Pathetic post. He will be leading our best and fairest and with good reason. Actually has a genuine go.
You must have watched a different match to most of us. Thomas is a battler and hard man but not a natural footballer and is way down in the skills set. Yes, he tried but managed to turn over the ball far too many times with unforced errors. Check the replay. That said he wasn't the only culprit.

Thomas does generally seem to have a crack, which is more than can be said of many of his team mates.
That said, he is not a long-term solution.
Would have preferred Miles to be upgraded.

Phantom said:

The more experienced player is usually the "safer" choice as you know what you're going to get. But until the team is a genuine contender, he's obligated to keep bringing players through. St.Kilda of 2009-10 we aren't.

Thomas is a similar prototype to a lot of our players.Very limited skills, slow
but hard at it.Try and name all the others that fit our profile.Need a better variety of
players with more dynamics.

osakabull said:
Thomas is a similar prototype to a lot of our players.Very limited skills, slow
but hard at it.Try and name all the others that fit our profile.Need a better variety of
players with more dynamics.

Exactly!

What makes Aussie Rules such a great game is the sheer variety of types of players that make up a team.

Slowly, I am coming to the conclusion that Hardwick's ideal team of one-paced hard-workers is as doomed as Wallace's ideal team of skinny flankers.

Frankly, I am becoming very disappointed in and tired of Hardwick's overall lack of imagination.

And what's worse is he's 27. He's not going to improve, his peak is right now. Why he is being shoehorned into our best 22, when we have younger inside midfielders playing well in the reserves is truly mystifying.

Just think people are a bit harsh on Thomas , he,s been very good up til Friday night. He,s not a silky smooth player, just a war horse. Although I can understand criticism of his being drafted (in that we already have many of a similar ilk).