Matt Thomas | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matt Thomas

Re: Pick 42 Matt Thomas

He's done alright has Matt Thomas, so far.
While he may not set the world on fire I sure was glad he was up and about last Thursday night. He was pretty crucial in that last quarter, particularly in the latter stages.
And I also agree with Carter in that once the B&F is back in his customary role that we might even see a bit more of an upside to Thomas and his role in the team.

I'm intrigued to see our midfield set up once Jacko returns. Should enable Chimp and Lids to get more outside ball you'd hope. I wasn't a huge fan of his promotion (would've rathered Miles upgraded) but he's been very solid to begin the season.

Agree St Kevin.

I would have preferred Miles for the extractor element whilst getting heaps of his own and basically a good young kid who has more upside.

Would have allowed Lids, Cotchy, Ellis etc more outside now, Conca should also build into a tough extractor type who should be better than Thomas...

Tigertough1974 said:
Agree St Kevin.

I would have preferred Miles for the extractor element whilst getting heaps of his own and basically a good young kid who has more upside.

Would have allowed Lids, Cotchy, Ellis etc more outside now, Conca should also build into a tough extractor type who should be better than Thomas...

Conca is lucky to get to see the ball let alone "extract" it.

Carter said:
Reckon we'll look pretty solid when Jacko slots in alongside.

Less difficult to stom the breach when you've got two Sherman tanks rolling through first.

Dimma will play both on rotation and we will win plenty of contested ball against the Dogs.

I hope he does rotate them. FWIW, Im Jackos 5th or 6th biggest fan and Thommos recruitment has been preliminarily vindicated, but I think both on the ground at the same time could get ugly, for us.

I really like the depth/cover we are developing. DJ and Evarn are extremely important finals players IMO and weve got really sound cover for both.

Watched game again and sheesh he does a power of work - in everything and was very good :clap

GEDS1 said:
Watched game again and sheesh he does a power of work - in everything and was very good :clap

He's like a bull at the gate isn't he? Really happy to be proven wrong on Thomas, being delisted and answering with a Magarey has illustrated some steel in the mindset, I think he will turn out to be one of the few who manages to turn their career around after 6-7 years of mediocrity. Kudos to Blair, his knack for finding gems in the brotherhood bin is bordering on legendary.

Having watched the replay was a monster game. BOG.

Gee he uses his body well in close, but his footskills have been the surprise thus far to leysy. If he keeps that end of the bargain up he could be massive for us this year.

Only other rider is Jacko coming back and how that may effect his role.

bullus_hit said:
He's like a bull

Leysy Days said:
Only other rider is Jacko coming back and how that may effect his role.

you can put a young bull in a paddock with an old one. but two old ones can become problematic.

Inspector said:
With Thomas & Jackson playing midfield could Arnott be trained as a bulking small forward.

Hesus, I forgot about walnuts :shakehead.

we might get a few teams forfeit against us soon.

tigergollywog said:
I hope he does rotate them. FWIW, Im Jackos 5th or 6th biggest fan and Thommos recruitment has been preliminarily vindicated, but I think both on the ground at the same time could get ugly, for us.

I really like the depth/cover we are developing. DJ and Evarn are extremely important finals players IMO and weve got really sound cover for both.

Jacko can go HFF at a pinch. Thomas can play as pure extractor and rotate from the pine.

We need both at the moment. Conca is out of form, Foley is cooked and Cotchin looks like he has the world on his shoulders.

Carter said:
Jacko can go HFF at a pinch. Thomas can play as pure extractor and rotate from the pine.

We need both at the moment. Conca is out of form, Foley is cooked and Cotchin looks like he has the world on his shoulders.

im only really convinced on half your points carts.

jacko on a HFF - tick. hadnt even thought of that. hes a good goal kicker and is close enough to punch the crap out of TV or JR's botherers. good thinking

Conca out of form - cross, sort of. yeah he is, but its the perfect time of year to be out of form. he stays.

foley is cooked - sadly, tick.

The Chimp weighed down - cross. two of his last three games for points have been astounding. 4 brownlow votes in 3 games from me (EF 3 C Judd 2 The Chimp; Round 1 3 D Swallow 2 The Chimp)

tigergollywog said:
im only really convinced on half your points carts.

jacko on a HFF - tick. hadnt even thought of that. hes a good goal kicker and is close enough to punch the crap out of TV or JR's botherers. good thinking

Conca out of form - cross, sort of. yeah he is, but its the perfect time of year to be out of form. he stays.

foley is cooked - sadly, tick.

The Chimp weighed down - cross. two of his last three games for points have been astounding.

yeah nah, not suggesting the fat ass wombat should be dropped. Conca is easily best 18.

but i'm talkin' load. Conca, Foley and Cotch aren't, for a variety of reasons, able to shoulder all the contested stuff right now.

hence the need for Thomas and Jacko, the Kray Brothers.

Carter said:
yeah nah, not suggesting the fat ass wombat should be dropped. Conca is easily best 18.

but i'm talkin' load. Conca, Foley and Cotch aren't, for a variety of reasons, able to shoulder all the contested stuff right now.

hence the need for Thomas and Jacko, the Kray Brothers.

that perfectly reasonable. Dimma has 'versatility' written in lipstick on his bathroom mirror I reckon

tigergollywog said:
Hesus, I forgot about walnuts :shakehead.

we might get a few teams forfeit against us soon.

Do we have two many inside types now & no x-factor type player with blistering speed Lennon might develop into that Deledio could be used in that role or Houli realised of half back.

Carter said:

Good call.
I get really uneasy watching Thomas in his one pace jog.

5SKULL5 said:
Good call.
I get really uneasy watching Thomas in his one pace jog.

Might be one paced but never got caught with the ball & Carlton do possess good runners Murphy Simpson Yarran Bell Garlett etc

Lets not forget about Miles in all this, Tuck's retirement hasn't been so scary after all.

tigergollywog said:

like Dusty, Jackson would probably kick 50+ goals if he played as a permanent forward.