Matt Thomas | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matt Thomas

Re: Pick 42 Matt Thomas

Has Matt Thomas set a record for PRE. Only two games into his RFC career and the section of PRE which tenaciously holds to the doctrine "you don't pick up mature age list cloggers" appears to be not just silenced but dead and buried.
Opera clap time. :clap

Brettstigers said:
Has Matt Thomas set a record for PRE. Only two games into his RFC career and the section of PRE which tenaciously holds to the doctrine "you don't pick up mature age list cloggers" appears to be not just silenced but dead and buried.

Blair can do no wrong at the moment, hopefully Banfield & Miles follow suit.

A true bulldozer. The only real weakness I see is his lack of leg speed. They were running away from him as if he was standing still. Love his 'in & under' tenacity and we have a Tiger now who truly loves to tackle, but I reckon opposition coaches will exploit his lack of pace and try to hurt us (Matty) going the other way.

Six Shirts and a Suit said:
A true bulldozer. The only real weakness I see is his lack of leg speed. They were running away from him as if he was standing still. Love his 'in & under' tenacity and we have a Tiger now who truly loves to tackle, but I reckon opposition coaches will exploit his lack of pace and try to hurt us (Matty) going the other way.

Getting the hard ball, busting packs and a tackling machine not enough for you?
We have players on 500k that don't do any of those 3

He had 6 tackles in the first qtr - set the tone early and a big reason we got out to a good lead.

Six Shirts and a Suit said:
If the other mids do their job this will not be a problem. For pick 42 in the rookie draft he has shown himself to be excellent value to the team.

Don't think he'll go anywhere for a while. Dimma loves him. With good reason too. He's been a bit of a revelation. Someone else equated him to Tucky and I think that's pretty apt, although he uses the ball better so far.

zippadeee said:
Properly the best pick up in a very long time, even more special is that he cost us 0.
100% in all aspects
Tougher than war tank. The difference on winning and losing.Should be vice captain set the example all night while our stars and the common rejects disappeared when it got prickly.

CarnTheTiges said:
Don't think he'll go anywhere for a while. Dimma loves him. With good reason too. He's been a bit of a revelation. Someone else equated him to Tucky and I think that's pretty apt, although he uses the ball better so far.

And Tucky probably layed 11 tackles in his career, let alone 1 match

Stylo said:
And Tucky probably layed 11 tackles in his career, let alone 1 match

Nope.

Tucky had a 14 tackle game VS Port Adelaide in 2010.

He also averaged 3.7 tackles a game over his career (Pretty good over a career) including 5.6 tackles a game in 2012. (Outstanding)

MalenyTiger said:
If the other mids do their job this will not be a problem. For pick 42 in the rookie draft he has shown himself to be excellent value to the team.

Exactly, we don't need nor expect him to become the next Dane Swan, though we'd take it. As Blair is constantly doing, trawling to meet need. Thomas meets a need - wasn't sure myself - but he seems to fit into the structure. Whether there is room for him and Jackson I worry about, but Dimma seems excited at the prospect.

wonder what the issue was at Port. He has been massive for us in his first 2 games.

Harry said:
wonder what the issue was at Port. He has been massive for us in his first 2 games.

We tried to get him the year before but it didn't work out. I assume Port realized he was on the way out so decided to rebuild their team with players they knew we're going to be around.

Harry said:

They used him more as a tagging player, which he is not his strength as anyone who saw round 1 knows. I think in the Richmond midfield their are more silks, which means you can play him in more confined role.

Brettstigers said:

Hasn't been too successful over time. I don't see much point in picking up mature age recruits (of 27yo+) when you're in a building phase like we have been in the past. At least Thomas was only 26 when we recruited him and you'd hope we are no longer at a building phase so it makes a little more sense. Additionally it was clear that we were targetting someone to crash and bang in the middle with the demise of Tuck and the midfield attention that Cotchin gest wthout his type of player. Still was always going to be a risk as Thomas's craeer record was quite average but full marks this time to the recruitment team and to Thomas for making the most of his opportunity thus far. 2 games doesn't maketh a success though, let's see how the consistency is particularly as opposition teams pay more attention to him.

Thomas's disposal by foot has surprised me. By hand he can improve.

How he acquires the ball will be a point of interest to other panels. And to ours.

He can sit under the tap but this is not his strength ATM IMO. But in this play he is close enough to tackle.

His standard stoppage play has been to run in and either cream an opponent under it or to gather. If he doesn't acquire he lays a bad guy out and/or hunts down to tackle. Working so far.

His other big play is to run to the tap, acquire and use well by foot. The other team is surprised that he's the primary roving target and spends too much time on big names. When he gets more attention other Tigers will prosper. I hope he's at least a pivotal sub by finals time. Or a prime brute from the get-go.

BTW he punches well above his weight.

Reckon we'll look pretty solid when Jacko slots in alongside.

Less difficult to stom the breach when you've got two Sherman tanks rolling through first.

Dimma will play both on rotation and we will win plenty of contested ball against the Dogs.

Interesting to see how they play Thomas this week, Grigg should go to Liberatore again, Griffins under done but obviously still dangerous, Cooney may need to be slowed