Matt Thomas | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matt Thomas

Re: Pick 42 Matt Thomas

Barnzy said:
His contested work inside stoppages and decision making in traffic is top notch. So far ahead of Jackson in releasing the ball quickly to the right option to allow the ball to move forward. Of course doesn't have Jackson's ability to push forward and kick goals which Jackson developed last year and his skills are a bit wonky. He will do well though IMO and having this type of player will help a Cotchin show his magic more in space.

Certainly found his field kicking is better than reported.

Brutal inside player. Had no help around him on the outside in the last Q and still kept burrowing. The club said they recruited to win one game and he's done it already.

Had a great game. Could have had more impact if our runners hadn't stopped in the last half. Looked for give offs a few times and found nought.

Thomas an Ordinary Footballer !! Give me a team of ordinary footballer any time against a team of stars anytime. Ordinary players make the stars. Ordinary players do the hard yards. Cannot think of this guy's name but Tommy Hafey got him from the Dons. Result filled a missing team link that resulted in success.

Thomas was excellent again tonight and can hold his head high. For a pick 42 in the rookie draft to be amongst our best in our 1st 2 rounds is great for him and I'm sure the recruiters are smiling. However, if Thomas continues to be our best player we wont win many games. The other mids around him need to find more consistency in games.

Was concerned at recruiting him but gee he's proved his worth already. A definite upgrade on tuck because he also has a natural defensive side to his game. He had 11 of our 55 tackles tonight. Just think how we would have fared first 2 games without him.

We wouldn't have won without this bloke in tonight. Enough to justify his selection already.

Hats off to Thomas, late bloomer by the looks of things. He's a little handball crazy but his defensive side is super impressive. Good pick Blair.

Thomas's field kicking on the night really surprised me. He was outstanding by foot. Some laser guided stuff.

Dyer'ere said:
Thomas's field kicking on the night really surprised me. He was outstanding by foot. Some laser guided stuff.

I cringed when he went for those, having seen plenty of his work at Port. Another tick for the coaching staff, perhaps.

The senior players will have stern words to him about not playing to team rules and going into his shell in the second half of Carlton games...

I was very grateful he was out there.

Great game from Thomas, another I was wrong about, makes good decisions (like when to dive in after the ball and when to keep his feet)

didn't realise he had 11 tackles, was crucial in the last 10 or so minutes

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
I cringed when he went for those, having seen plenty of his work at Port. Another tick for the coaching staff, perhaps.

Me too, L2. After the first one came off I was praying he wouldn't try it again. He did. And again.

They were sagging off him early to make him kick. Didn't he hurt them for that?