Matt Dea | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matt Dea

Tigers of Old said:
Really wonder why he was played this week.
Has had a baptism of fire the past 3 weeks when clearly short of the level at this point.
Would have liked to see what Webberley could provide.
Ditto.

If we can see it why cant Dumma or his crew see it.

amazed dea is picked ahead of webberly who is much more a natural footballer to me.

Tigers of Old said:
Really wonder why he was played this week.
Has had a baptism of fire the past 3 weeks when clearly short of the level at this point.
Would have liked to see what Webberley could provide.

Shared your puzzlement. Good kid I'm sure, but this wasnt his game this week.
ROLLS ROYCE said:
Ditto.

If we can see it why cant Dumma or his crew see it.

With you too RR - what sort of decision was that? Love to know the answer................

Maybe they are playing these kids in blocks of games no matter what the opposition. Dea is very raw and had limited football experience as we all know of his background but one thing is for sure and that is he aint scared he throws himself in. Composure will come in time. I wonder how good our kids would look in a decent side - I believe we have some rippers but they will have to serve time in our side for us to realise whereas their potential in other teams would have been realised earlier.

The certain thing is that when our group starts winning and consistently they would have earned it unlike someone like Hawkins, Burns, Varcoe and Hunt

GEDS1 said:
The certain thing is that when our group starts winning and consistently they would have earned it unlike someone like Hawkins, Burns, Varcoe and Hunt

You are kidding........aren't you? ???

Time for Matt to go back to Coburg, I think he would have learnt a lot over the last 3 weeks and Dimma would have had a chat or two to him as well.

Yep, needs to go back to Coburg for the rest of the year and develop.

Happy that he got these games when he didn't really deserve them, but it can get to a point that he will start going backwards from all the smashings he is taking and any potential lessons will be lost.

geoffryprettyboy said:
Time for Matt to go back to Coburg, I think he would have learnt a lot over the last 3 weeks and Dimma would have had a chat or two to him as well.

If I recall Hardwick mentioned kids would come in and get a decent run despite their performance. Three weeks is a good run.

Ghost of 29 said:
Yep, needs to go back to Coburg for the rest of the year and develop.

Happy that he got these games when he didn't really deserve them, but it can get to a point that he will start going backwards from all the smashings he is taking and any potential lessons will be lost.

I beg to differ.

He was in the best for Coburg for three weeks. He earnt his stripes to get a call up.

Am I right in making the following assumptions?

Twelve months ago, Matt Dea had yet to play a TAC Cup game. He played three TAC Cup games towards to end of the 2009 season. He has played two AFL Practice Games, not having been selected for the NAB Cup opener, another two Practice games for Coburg , one senior VFL game and now three AFL games.

Is it any wonder he is struggling to find the pace of the game? He looks to me like someone who has solid AFL qualities but surely an extended period of consolidation at Coburg is now required? For the sake of his development he now needs to take some of the things he has learnt in these three games and practice them under slightly less pressure for a few games.

Going from school footy to AFL seniors has been unheard of since the 1970s.

TOT70 said:

Twelve months ago, Matt Dea had yet to play a TAC Cup game. He played three TAC Cup games towards to end of the 2009 season. He has played two AFL Practice Games, not having been selected for the NAB Cup opener, another two Practice games for Coburg , one senior VFL game and now three AFL games.

Is it any wonder he is struggling to find the pace of the game? He looks to me like someone who has solid AFL qualities but surely an extended period of consolidation at Coburg is now required? For the sake of his development he now needs to take some of the things he has learnt in these three games and practice them under slightly less pressure for a few games.

So in actual fact, considering his background, he has a made a fair fist of it, compared to some who grew up with a footballing background?

TOT70 said:

That is why, I have always spoke of Dea as a very long term project. The improvement may come quick but we are basing his long term worth on a very small sample of data. Most kids that debut have played more then 200 games of football by the time they are 18 and more then a 1000 training sessions. Dea has less then 20 games and maybe six months of training. I feel for the kid, has played on some very good players but TOT is right, needs a slower pace to put in place the lessons he has learned. Maybe another month of football later in the year but right now the VFL is the best place for this young man.

tigerinthetank2 said:
Well, he hasnt kicked the ball the last 2 weeks :help

Don't you worry about that.
Was assured by the inside experts on here that kicking skills was the major assset our recruiters looked for and that Matt Dea, like the rest of our picks in the draft, is an excellent kick.

tigerinthetank2 said:
Well, he hasnt kicked the ball the last 2 weeks :help

Clearly, has no confidence in his foot skills at this level. I find it hard to fathom for a player that is touted as having above average footskills, refuses to use them. Just doesn't add up. Needs to show them.

RedanTiger said:
Don't you worry about that.
Was assured by the inside experts on here that kicking skills was the major assset our recruiters looked for and that Matt Dea, like the rest of our picks in the draft, is an excellent kick.

SCOOP said:
Clearly, has no confidence in his foot skills at this level. I find it hard to fathom for a player that is touted as having above average footskills, refuses to use them. Just doesn't add up. Needs to show them.

If he does get dropped to Coburg, maybe go down and have a good look at him there. His kicking skills were very effective. Maybe playing to instructions has dropped his confidence at the higher level with his kicking but he deserved a go in the seniors as his Coburg form was very good.

Nothing wrong with his kicking skills from the evidence of seeing him live for three games at Coburg.

Tigerbob said:
If he does get dropped to Coburg, maybe go down and have a good look at him there. His kicking skills were very effective. Maybe playing to instructions has dropped his confidence at the higher level with his kicking but he deserved a go in the seniors as his Coburg form was very good.

Nothing wrong with his kicking skills from the evidence of seeing him live for three games at Coburg.

Although the Coburg from is something to go on, I am much more interested to see Dea's kicking at the elite leve. And at the moment I cannot rate him as above average. The fact that he doesn't want to kick tells me much more then what he has done at Coburg.