Matt Dea | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matt Dea

everyone will end up loving this kid. is in the mould of damien hardwick himself. will be a beauty for us, just needs time

Tigers of Old said:
I thought that was Webberley?

Time will tell how good he is or otherwise.

Webberley just looks like him ;D

On Dea, he had a good game in the burgers last week. Good enough that when we looked at a list without Newman, Polo, McGuane, Thursfield, and Connors, he was one of those who got a call up.

If it had been any other week, I reckon we may have let him continue to develop, but with us two key backs down, and three half backs down, we were at the point where some were going to be asked to stand up earlier than expected.

To be blunt, the only two you would consider as options would be Webberley and McMahon. Dea had a better game than Webberley, and as for McMahon, I think we have all seen enough of him.

Reckon Dea will get 1-2 more to show him Hardwick is not going to hammer him off one game. Also think having him play off the bench next week more with the bigger bodies back may help him out a fair bit.

Sorry but what are people supposed to say about the kid based on his first gig? Noone has stated Dea wont make it based on his performance yesterday! Maybe some of you need to take your own advice and not judge others too quickly.

For his very 1st game Dea showed some potential. To me he looked bigger than 186cm and did some good things.

I wouldn’t drop him.

McGuane will come in for Dea next week.

It would be unfair to judge Dea after just one game, but considering he only played a few TAC games last year, he's simply not ready.

Drove all the way from Manly in NSW to see our three new boys play their first games.
As for Matt Dea he showed on Saturday that he WILL BE a player for Richmond over the next decade or so he has it all. Speed, quick hands, build, courage and above all else he is a fantastic team player who will do the thankless team things week in and week out, such as shepherd and block for other players

Sure a few bad handballs, but watching him on Saturday he actually did what we want all defenders to do, stick close to their man.

There were also several occassions when he selflessly threw himself into packs and in front of on coming players to smother the ball.

Yes he did cost us a couple of goals but how quick were the hands?

Pencil him in he has great heart, determination and above all else will follow the plan.

lisamaree said:
Didn't get a kick, but has a reasonable handball action.
Now he just has to be taught to hanball to a teammate as opposed to the opposition. :hihi
Given his basketball background, they must still be working on his kicking. A few nice blocks though and loves a bounce

Mappa said:
Drove all the way from Manly in NSW to see our three new boys play their first games.
As for Matt Dea he showed on Saturday that he WILL BE a player for Richmond over the next decade or so he has it all. Speed, quick hands, build, courage and above all else he is a fantastic team player who will do the thankless team things week in and week out, such as shepherd and block for other players

Sure a few bad handballs, but watching him on Saturday he actually did what we want all defenders to do, stick close to their man.

There were also several occassions when he selflessly threw himself into packs and in front of on coming players to smother the ball.

Pencil him in he has great heart, determination and above all else will follow the plan.

Agree with all that and feel that Matt will be a good player for the RFC for years to come. He ran out of gas in the last qtr but kept trying.

But at the moment he isn't ready for AFL and it is unfair to play him so early in his career even though circumstances required it.

Mappa said:
As for Matt Dea he showed on Saturday that he WILL BE a player for Richmond over the next decade or so he has it all.

You pencilled him in for a 10 year career on the back of that game?

Hey it's Richmond, you're probably right. ;)

Welcome BTW.

Mappa said:

He has it ALL!! Sounds like we have drafted the next G.Ablett. beauty!! ::)

tommystigers said:
Fair dinkum this club should do a cull of it's supporter base, talk about bottoming out. There is so much deadwood on this thread it 's just not funny.

The KID has played one game, ONE GAME! He was playing in a slapped together backline for crying out loud. The only hope we have is if we develop the Juniors we have at the club.
You want to throw the kids out after one game? Go follow Carlton, they're always looking for the cerebrally challenged to add to their burgeoning list of dolts, cretins and imbeciles. You'll be welcomed into the club and fit right in. It'll feel just like home.
spot on .

Jason King said:
Sorry but what are people supposed to say about the kid based on his first gig? Noone has stated Dea wont make it based on his performance yesterday! Maybe some of you need to take your own advice and not judge others too quickly.

Yes they have!
Frawleydud has written him off already.

I can garantee you he would have been chatting to the younger guys during the week, asking them what its like to play in the big time, he would have been told you don't have much time to dsipose of it and the game is so much quicker.

When he got his got his first hands on the ball, which if you remember, he was under pressure trying to run it out and got instantly tackled and driven into the ground. From then on his mind was set, the game is bloody quick and he wasn't going to make the same mistake twice, he was going to get rid of it as quick as possible.

The two handballs that came undone were his next two possies, he didn't want to get caught with the ball again. After he settled he looked a little more composed, given time he will understand that in most cases he will have more to dispose of it.

He will learn that Basketball and football are worlds apart, in the sence that you can walk onto a basketball court have the ball go through your hands a number of times and get a feeling for it, with out coming under to much pressure. Football on the other hand you have to expect to get tackled and no possie is easy.

tigertim said:
He's not that bad a kick is he?
Not one kicking error in his debut game, we would have to go back a long way for that.

I thought after his initial 3 mistakes he played decently. He certainly is a close checking defender who is all over his leading opponent - a nice change from some of our recent mid-size defenders (Newman, Jordy, Raines, etc.) Exclude those first 3 touches and I think the general opinion would be that he showed potential. Agree with comments that he is being played too early, but shock-horror, we dumped half our list last year and the coach says its all about the kids.

I actually reckon he showed more than Taylor who, while also definitely showing something, should be spending 2010 in the gym.

The tooth said:
Given his basketball background, they must still be working on his kicking. A few nice blocks though and loves a bounce

Should have a good defensive mindset and experience from playing elite basketball. He would have learnt to watch and read players making quick step moves to get around him, basketball defense is all about good core balance, agility and being quick on the feet.

A bit raw but I liked what I saw, heard he was fast off the mark when we picked him up and his game on saturday indicated there was some good untapped potential.

Really wonder why he was played this week.
Has had a baptism of fire the past 3 weeks when clearly short of the level at this point.
Would have liked to see what Webberley could provide.