Matt Dea | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matt Dea

Ty Esler said:
Finally this thread has taken a turn for the sensible -

I don't think it ever went to far off sensible. Nothing wrong with healthy debate over kicking skills with Tigerbob. We disagree on something no big deal. I think Dea is a project and miles off being the finished product but this is fine. Some people take things far too serious.

SCOOP said:
I don't think it ever went to far off sensible. Nothing wrong with healthy debate over kicking skills with Tigerbob. We disagree on something no big deal. I think Dea is a project and miles off being the finished product but this is fine. Some people take things far too serious.

Or to para-phrase, some PEOPLE take themselves far too seriously.

TigerForce said:
Don't drop the kid and give him experience in the next 2 games against out-of-form teams coming up.

The won't be out of form after we get a hold of them.

tigertim said:
This may be true but I'm pretty sure he was recruited to play AFL, not VFL, footy. He's playing AFL now so may as well keep the learning process going. Having said that I have no doubt he'll get dropped as we always look for the soft option when making changes.

All players are recruited with the intention of playing AFL, but some need a solid grounding in the VFL as part of the learning process.

Why do some people think that playing in the VFL is ALWAYS a form of punishment? No shame in playing VFL if you're a young player learning the craft.

CK said:
All players are recruited with the intention of playing AFL, but some need a solid grounding in the VFL as part of the learning process.

Why do some people think that playing in the VFL is ALWAYS a form of punishment? No shame in playing VFL if you're a young player learning the craft.

Ddnt say it was a form of punishment. Said it was a backward step and nothing to gain from having him go back.

CK said:

Agree. Many would suggest playing in the AFL for Richmond is the ultimate punishment at the moment.

tigertim said:
Ddnt say it was a form of punishment. Said it was a backward step and nothing to gain from having him go back.

According to that rationale, it would be a backward step to drop any young player to the VFL. There are countless times where young players have been dropped & come back better than before.

Dea has jumped from a handful of games in the TAC cup last year to the stratosphere of the AFL. To expect him to perform consistently at the top level in this stage of his footballing life would be asking too much.

CK said:
According to that rationale, it would be a backward step to drop any young player to the VFL. There are countless times where young players have been dropped & come back better than before.

Dea has jumped from a handful of games in the TAC cup last year to the stratosphere of the AFL. To expect him to perform consistently at the top level in this stage of his footballing life would be asking too much.

The next 2 or 3 games against easier teams wouldn't hurt. It's better learning the hard way rather than the easy way (Coburg).

CK said:

Mate, you keep reading things into my posts I'm not even saying so I'll let you carry on with that.

tigertim said:
Said it was a backward step and nothing to gain from having him go back.

CK said:

tigertim said:
Mate, you keep reading things into my posts I'm not even saying so I'll let you carry on with that.

I don't see how the above is reading things into your posts that you're not even saying, but it seems you're getting a bit touchy, so we might as well leave it there.

CK said:
I don't see how the above is reading things into your posts that you're not even saying, but it seems you're getting a bit touchy, so we might as well leave it there.

Fair enough, wish I'd said that.