Matt Dea | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matt Dea

I don't want to repeat what others have pointed out, but I do want to say what others haven't and that is his call up was premature due to the circumstances. Was certainly thrown in the deep in and should take plenty away to improve.

Matt's DE was 78%. We know he muffed his first couple of handballs so he must have improved after that.

rosy23 said:
Matt's DE was 78%. We know he muffed his first couple of handballs so he must have improved after that.

He definitely got better with his handballs after his first few mistakes.

Didn't kick the ball though.

in an ideal world Matt Dea (and Astbury, Taylor et al) would have a couple of seasons at Coburg to hone his skills and get his confidence up, so when he comes in he can have an influence and stay in the side.
unfortunately at Richmond the boys are going to have to learn on the job in the big league.
this is ok for some newbies but not for all.
i think Dea will be ok but certainly would prefer if he could find his feet at the 'burgers.

Once he fell to ground, then pounced to his feet to lay a tackle quicker than I've ever seen anyone get up.

He's got some elite qualities about it that mean it's worth persisting with his education of the game.

He could still be quite good. His handballs were off target, but they were in the direction of teammates who would have been hard to see. It took great vision - but poor execution under pressure.

He's not an introvert apparently, so he could develop a cooler head over time. That's the point of development, isn't it?

If you get these types of players to contribute, then that's the key to success.

Lot of premature comments again from some.

Boy oh Boy..... ::)

Matt Dea was one of the best performed blokes at Coburg the last two weeks, deserved his place.

Little overrawed but that will come.

The amount of people that want to have it in for a first gamer is ludacris.

Frawleyyoudud - you are are moronic poster. Quite simply the club would go backwards in listening to comments from you, thankfully I know, the club won't be listening to outside sources. They know what they are doing and where they are headed.

We just need to continue giving game time into these young kids, and as Matty Dea is the youngest kid on the list he will ebnefit from more exposure. Has a lot of really good qualities and last week help Corey Jones and won the contest on the day. From reports from some VFL watchers, Corey Jones had a good game and kicked 5 goals this weekend.

Tigermad2005 said:
He was one touch and we have a lot to work with here.
We all know he was played before his time but i liked what i saw.

Good post TM :clap

Sure are some harsh critics out there. Every game he plays he'll get better. His awareness will improve with game time, he's a solid unit and will be improved with the likes of McGuane, Thursfield and Newman around him.

Fair dinkum this club should do a cull of it's supporter base, talk about bottoming out. There is so much deadwood on this thread it 's just not funny.

The KID has played one game, ONE GAME! He was playing in a slapped together backline for crying out loud. The only hope we have is if we develop the Juniors we have at the club.
You want to throw the kids out after one game? Go follow Carlton, they're always looking for the cerebrally challenged to add to their burgeoning list of dolts, cretins and imbeciles. You'll be welcomed into the club and fit right in. It'll feel just like home.

tommystigers said:
The KID has played one game, ONE GAME! He was playing in a slapped together backline for crying out loud. The only hope we have is if we develop the Juniors we have at the club.
You want to throw the kids out after one game? Go follow Carlton, they're always looking for the cerebrally challenged to add to their burgeoning list of dolts, cretins and imbeciles. You'll be welcomed into the club and fit right in. It'll feel just like home.

Well said tommy.

17 said:
in an ideal world Matt Dea (and Astbury, Taylor et al) would have a couple of seasons at Coburg to hone his skills and get his confidence up, so when he comes in he can have an influence and stay in the side.
unfortunately at Richmond the boys are going to have to learn on the job in the big league.
this is ok for some newbies but not for all.
i think Dea will be ok but certainly would prefer if he could find his feet at the 'burgers.

Balanced post.
I think some are confusing have a go at him with saying he's not ready yet.
It seemed pretty clear on yesterday's showing that he's a ways off.
That's not being overly critical, just calling it as it is.

We have better defensive options at this point to come back into the side and I will be surprised if he keeps his spot next week.
However it's good he's been given a taste and if he shows form again at Coburg then by all means bring him back in.

I wish I were so smart I could pass judgement on an entire career on the basis of a nervous handball.

I was impressed that Dea seemed to be able to make his tackles stick, good core strength for an 18 year old. Obviously needs time given his background but I think we have something to work with.

Tigers of Old said:
I think some are confusing have a go at him with saying he's not ready yet.
It seemed pretty clear on yesterday's showing that he's a ways off.
That's not being overly critical, just calling it as it is.

I think making a thread after a first game showing disapointment is a pretty disappointing thing to do for a guy playing his first game to be honest. Sure he made mistakes anbut he did some good and showed some positives.

Also he was ready to go and deserved his opportunity through a string of good performances at Coburg. I went to the practice game at Willy and against North Ballarat and as I reported he was a deserved inclusion. He was a bit nervous being out in the MCG in front of 42,000 people with teh ball coming down, but one of his strenghts is his poise and class and it will come. Dimma was happy with his output. So to say catergorally that he was not ready is plain wrong. Observers going to Coburg will all tell you he was ready.

When he has a few more experienced defenders around him he will improve. Also playing at that level will be better for him in my opinion has he has shown he has the VFL level covered already.

We all said the same things about M.White and JON. First game, it will come with experience etc. That turned out well. I just don't think he will be good enough to take this club forward. It is an opinion after all. We are not in a position at the moment to wait 3-4 years to see if these kids will ever make it. We need blokes that show something in their first 3-4 games eg. Astbury. Yes, he didn't get a lot of it but when he did he made things happen and looked composed. Same can be said about Nason. I just think Dea will be another player that tiger fans will over rate only to find out after 4 years in the system that he is just not good enough.

If you haven't got decent not elite but decent decision making by the age of 18-19 then you are going to really struggle in todays game.

frawleyudud said:
We all said the same things about M.White and JON. First game, it will come with experience etc. That turned out well. I just don't think he will be good enough to take this club forward. It is an opinion after all. We are not in a position at the moment to wait 3-4 years to see if these kids will ever make it. We need blokes that show something in their first 3-4 games eg. Astbury. Yes, he didn't get a lot of it but when he did he made things happen and looked composed. Same can be said about Nason. I just think Dea will be another player that tiger fans will over rate only to find out after 4 years in the system that he is just not good enough.

If you haven't got decent not elite but decent decision making by the age of 18-19 then you are going to really struggle in todays game.

This kid may or may not make it, but maybe he was a little nervous in his first game..

Thank god Matthew Richardson did not play a shocker in his first game... As you would of ridden him off after that..

B2

Tigerbob said:
Also playing at that level will be better for him in my opinion has he has shown he has the VFL level covered already.

Really? I find that hard to believe after a couple of games.

Anyways I respect your opinion bobby.
It was a disappointing start IMO and I am within my rights to say so.
Hopefully makes a better fist of it next time up and goes on with it.
Some have had far better debuts and been duds over the long term, so I am certainly not forming any concrete opinions on him yet.
Just thought he looked out of his depth in his first game.

Amusing posts here. Seriously, we have to give the kids some time BEFORE crucifying them! At least 1 more game for goodness sake ::).

What do people want? Failure with kids or failure with tried and failed duds? Unfortunately knowing the RFC they'll drop Dea and bring in King.

We could use a Duncan Kellaway right now... kid will be ok, looked very nervous in the first quarter, settled down a bit and stuck to his task. One of the pleasing things to me was the reason his disposals were all handballs. He was always in traffic because he was always near his opponent. Needs to learn when a where to fall off his opponent to allow for easier disposal, hopefully will come in time. His physical attributes certainly mark him as the right type.