Lyon's Request to "Rest" Fremantle players for Round 23 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Lyon's Request to "Rest" Fremantle players for Round 23

YinnarTiger said:
The article you are quoting has a link on it to another article that sets out the new rule.

The link reads "The rule that decided whether Lyon could rest his stars."

It was a new "Integrity" rule that was put in place after Lyon rested players in round 23 of 2013 and lost by 71 points to the 16th placed saints.

Yep, read the rule, but it appears it needed interpretation or qualification by Freo (and probably thousands of others), according to the AFL website article. This apparently was done with the "rest up to 11 players" reference. Sounds to me that resting more than 11 players only gets the amber light or perhaps a RED light. Would be interesting if Ross decided 12 was the number just to see if he could. Though I'd suggest one or more might have soreness, rather than rested next to his name.

I still see nothing wrong with what Lyon is doing. He's there to win a flag.

Baloo said:

Yep, good on him. If that messes wth people's precious multibets, tough titties. It's called gambling for a reason folks...

antman said:
Yep, good on him. If that messes wth people's precious multibets, tough titties. It's called gambling for a reason folks...

Apparently our odds have dropped from $1.69 to $1.25.

I don't care about gambling, but I am now considering not going to the game now. Haven't missed a game in Melb this year, but why go if Norf aren't going to turn up and try to win? It's the RFC's home game, so will affect the coffers. Why would Norf supporters turn up? Surely they would save their $$ for the EF.

I understand Freo and Norf's POV....but there are many ramifications.

Baloo said:

Agree. I thought the system was that clubs each week choose 22 out of the 40 they have on their list to choose from. Whichever 22 are selected is up to the clubs. So long as the 22 selected try their best to win the game, I don't see the problem.

Total Tiger said:
Agree. I thought the system was that clubs each week choose 22 out of the 40 they have on their list to choose from. Whichever 22 are selected is up to the clubs. So long as the 22 selected try their best to win the game, I don't see the problem.

Yes, especially if, as we are told, that a large % is played above the shoulders. No motivation, not enough above the shoulders maybe. ??? ;D

That can of worms that I mentioned earlier in this thread I started a few days ago is well and truly opened and now being openly discussed, if a little late, by so-called experts of the game like Carey (he at least has an intimate knowledge of what goes on in the inner sanctum of a footy club preparing for a finals series!) and Rohan Connolly who wrote in part today, “It (AFL) must do something. Because now a match that might have been an intriguing conclusion to the premiership season could border on the farcical. And if it's possible for teams to manipulate results to end up with a favourable finals draw, that's a far bigger danger still.” I’m fed up hearing in Australia about everybody is playing “within the rules” and as in the case of a Bronwyn Bishop spending your money but within the guidelines laid out by the Fed’s stated spending budgets for MP’s, for example. When will you keyboard football jockey’s decide that a “fair and equitable” competition is more important than “TO WIN AT ALL COSTS” mentality as often expressed on this site, suggesting that many of you are followers of James Hird’s mindset of “doing what it takes” – the results of which will begin to be played out on the weekend and you won’t like it!!!

Heard Tom Elliott on AW saying its reverse tanking and that any Foxtel subscribers should demand a refund for this weekend and that the AFL should be charging VFL entry fees to these 2 games!

More fauxtrage.

i cant remember too much complaining when the swans rested players against us last year, possibly allowing us to make the finals.

this is all a beat up. 2 (maybe 3- the doggies) sides are preparing their players as best they can to try to win the premiership. good on them.
Hardwick, and the rest of the coaches, are doing what they think is best for their teams.

this is all the Cats, and whichever Scott brother coaches them, fault. if they werent so rubbish they lost to the pies spots in the 8 would still be up for grabs and we wouldnt be hearing this debate.

the AFL should consider a bye round though if they want to avoid this in future.

my solution - unlimited subs in the last round.

this would allow clubs to give their top players a half to keep the run in their legs.

wholesale resting is dangerous in my opinion.

i know a few nervous North supporters.

I have no problem with freo doing this as it doesn't affect their ladder position. N-O-R-F on the other hand is different because they are manipulating an 8th place finish. Yes it suits us, but it doesn't make it any less of a farce

I predict this mass resting of players in rd 23 will be so commonplace we,ll look back at this and wonder what all the fuss was about.

tigertim said:
I predict this mass resting of players in rd 23 will be so commonplace we,ll look back at this and wonder what all the fuss was about.

Most club already rotate their players towards the end of the year in many sports. In the NFL it's quite common for finals bound teams playing meaningless games to sub all their starters in the second quarter. The spurs in the NBA carefully manage player minutes in the second half of the season.

To me what we are doing is more controversial... to play your absolute best team and go flat out just before a (hopefully) long finals campaign seems less in tune with modern practices in player management.

Col.W.Kurtz said:
Most club already rotate their players towards the end of the year in many sports. In the NFL it's quite common for finals bound teams playing meaningless games to sub all their starters in the second quarter. The spurs in the NBA carefully manage player minutes in the second half of the season.

To me what we are doing is more controversial... to play your absolute best team and go flat out just before a (hopefully) long finals campaign seems less in tune with modern practices in player management.

Amen

Also tells me Dimma is dumb.

Basing football I'm 2015 on pagan outdated mantra

Col.W.Kurtz said:

unfortunately, this game is not meaningless to Richmond

Win - chance of 4th, at least lock a home final
Lose - finish 7th, away final, maybe Adelaide in Adelaide

My preferred model is get more games into kids during the season: eg McDono, Dea, McBean to give a break to Miles, Newman, Jack on ocassion