Lyon's Request to "Rest" Fremantle players for Round 23 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Lyon's Request to "Rest" Fremantle players for Round 23

pessimistic_ said:
How many games did Richmond win before getting spanked by port ?

Form resets come week one of finals

We had a really bad game after the bye, I wouldn't want to flirt with that. Besides as others have said the Norf game is likely to be quite bruise free anyway. Since Benny took over we have been a club with integrity, not taking shortcuts and it looks likely to result in sustained success compared with clubs who have tried taking shortcuts. This is along the same lines.

IanG said:
We had a really bad game after the bye, I wouldn't want to flirt with that.

I think we mis managed the bye. They gave players 5 or so days off and they got into holiday mode, with some travelling to holiday spots.

I reckon you should keep everything pretty much as usual, the only difference is you don't play on the weekend. It works for the Prelim final winners.

IanG said:
We had a really bad game after the bye, I wouldn't want to flirt with that. Besides as others have said the Norf game is likely to be quite bruise free anyway. Since Benny took over we have been a club with integrity, not taking shortcuts and it looks likely to result in sustained success compared with clubs who have tried taking shortcuts. This is along the same lines.

We had a really bad final after winning 10 in a row

its so stupid - (IMHO) to play the best side in a nothing game

a week before the biggest game in a decade

kudos to norrrf and freo. very smart

North look to be resting players.
think it worked for them last time, 2 final wins I believe.

rosy23 said:
He stopped coaching knowing the prize we'd get if we lost. He admitted that and it's been discussed on here in the past.
I would have thought that if wallace stopped coaching it would help us win ;D

Sintiger said:
I would have thought that if wallace stopped coaching it would help us win ;D

That's the thing. In that game we came back from 5 goals down to hit the front against a top 4 side when we were last placed. Not sure Wallace saying he was conflicted equates to tanking during that game.

pessimistic_ said:
We had a really bad final after winning 10 in a row

After the bye.

pessimistic_ said:
its so stupid - (IMHO) to play the best side in a nothing game

a week before the biggest game in a decade

kudos to norrrf and freo. very smart

Freo and Norf have nothing to lose, we do.

YinnarTiger said:
What is the maximum number of players a club is entitled to "rest" without seeking prior AFL approval?

The way the article on AFL.com read, up to 11 players - is my take. But, it seems it must or is best notified publically on a Tuesday who will be rested for fatigue reason - after a medical assessment process. Interesting.

DLR said:
The way the article on AFL.com read, up to 11 players - is my take. But, it seems it must or is best notified publically on a Tuesday who will be rested for fatigue reason - after a medical assessment process. Interesting.

It was a rhetorical question. There is no limit.

The AFL rule just states that teams are entitled to manage players for "legitimate competitive objectives" that does not include "improving a club's draft position or manipulating a club's position on the ladder for the purpose of improving its draw within the finals series."

Baloo said:
That's the thing. In that game we came back from 5 goals down to hit the front against a top 4 side when we were last placed. Not sure Wallace saying he was conflicted equates to tanking during that game.
Agree. More excuse making from Wallace for losing again. And the Saints had beaten us 10 in a row or something like that anyway.

YinnarTiger said:
It was a rhetorical question. There is no limit.

The AFL rule just states that teams are entitled to manage players for "legitimate competitive objectives" that does not include "improving a club's draft position or manipulating a club's position on the ladder for the purpose of improving its draw within the finals series."

Rhetorical was it? Sorry, not sure it was that obvious. Irrespective, my reference point was what it was........

"The AFL gave Fremantle the green light on Monday to rest up to 11 players for Saturday's round 23 clash after the Dockers secured top spot last weekend with one round to play."

The article you are quoting has a link on it to another article that sets out the new rule.

The link reads "The rule that decided whether Lyon could rest his stars."

It was a new "Integrity" rule that was put in place after Lyon rested players in round 23 of 2013 and lost by 71 points to the 16th placed saints.

so we play north this week,
so what is stopping NORTH from resting half a team and bring in some clowns in who have nothing to play for apart from hurting our players and maybe target a few say dusty for a reaction and suspension, lose the game and then they play us as a week later players short and all.

YinnarTiger said:
That would be a breach of the integrity rule referred to in the post before yours.

would like to know the details of this rule........all im saying is that how can the AFL police that rule?
why would NORTH want to win to go play the crows at AO, as if.
They will tank it and try belt our boys, because that is the sort of DOG Scott is.

TheCan said:
would like to know the details of this rule....
We can't post links to that rule.

If you go to the site that we can't link to, find the news article that talks about Freo resting players: "Dockers given green light to rest up to 11 players in final round" August 31. In that article is a link to another article that sets out the rule.

The AFL would have to react if they thought North was tanking and if they found against North we might be hosting Port at the G in week 1.

TheCan said:
would like to know the details of this rule........all im saying is that how can the AFL police that rule?
why would NORTH want to win to go play the crows at AO, as if.
They will tank it and try belt our boys, because that is the sort of DOG Scott is.

The rule is posted on page 3 of the thread.

Bottom line to a post I started and having read all the comments that followed, is that it’s the AFL administration that continually compromises the integrity of the competition – what follows are coaches that will try and leverage the next shifting of the rules to their clubs advantage and a compliant media that will distract you from this simple truth. Our great game is being mishandled and mistreated, which is creating more and more unnecessary problems by a bunch of reactive, politically correct men in Fletcher Jones’s suits who are accountable to nobody; and that is a huge problem in my opinion!