Lyon's Request to "Rest" Fremantle players for Round 23 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Lyon's Request to "Rest" Fremantle players for Round 23

If nth rest players & risk losing:

Could the afl possibly say that you did wrong as you caused yourself to face a higher placed team (5th indtead of 6th , regardless of who they are) in the first week?

Not sure that'd stand up in court.

Everyone want's there team a win the flag, if resting 1/2 the team gives you the best chance then go for it, why should freo care about what draft pick port end up with, as far as betting markets are concerned, A fool and his money are easily parted.

Can't see this as any different to us laying down to ensure we got Cotch. I hope fiddling with a winning team bites Freo on the bum big time but imo they have every right to do it.

rosy23 said:
Can't see this as any different to us laying down to ensure we got Cotch. I hope fiddling with a winning team bites Freo on the bum big time but imo they have every right to do it.

NOt sure we laid down. Wallace simply couldn't get a win on the board.

poppa x said:
A full strength Freo would probably beat Port.
And Port would drop to 12th on the ladder.
But if Port win they'll likely finish 9th.

That's a big difference in draft pick quality.
If I was Port I'd be filthy.

Why can't port put players out to pasture ?

When a team is on top of the ladder why would anyone care BUT when a team is on the bottom and potential get the first draft pick it's considered tanking.

“The AFL position is the club (Fremantle) is fully complying with the AFL's rules” so the moral to this story is damn the rules and the integrity of the competition and allow anything and everything until it blows up in the competition’s face with every club wanting to bend, twist and break (Essendon) the rules to “Do What it Takes” to win a premiership – the AFL is opening up a can of worms by allowing Fremantle to rest most of their A side on the eve of the finals and they will be ill prepared to handle it in 2016 when every final’s bound club will want to do the same. It also begs the question, would the AFL had have been so accommodating if a Melbourne based club asked for the same consideration? p.s. There’s a whiff of the Bronwyn Bishop’s about the AFL justification!

Kaelan said:
don't know how Rossie's decision is going to wash with the WAFL . For the first time probably ever Peel who are aligned with Freo have made the finals . Ross resting all his players means those playing with Peel will come up effectively leaving Peel with a reserves side to go in their finals assalt

Lyon seems like the sort of bloke who wouldn't give a rats toss bag over someThing like this.

So let me get this straight...

- North may go with a B team so they lose and finish 8th to avoid a trip to Adelaide
- Despite being a game and 12% ahead of North we actually need to WIN to avoid a possible trip to Adelaide
- If we do win, our "home" final the next week could easily be against North, who would've just had the chance to rest all their players

Just our luck.

Afl view is Freo can't improve their draft pick order so it is fine. They will remain still position 1 and address "fatigue" of their players without comprising the rules. Lol. Double standards afl, never !

JamesTiger82 said:

- North may go with a B team so they lose and finish 8th to avoid a trip to Adelaide
- Despite being a game and 12% ahead of North we actually need to WIN to avoid a possible trip to Adelaide
- If we do win, our "home" final the next week could easily be against North, who would've just had the chance to rest all their players

Just our luck.

I love irony.

But in this case, it *smile* sucks!

Tigerdangerous said:
“The AFL position is the club (Fremantle) is fully complying with the AFL's rules” so the moral to this story is damn the rules and the integrity of the competition and allow anything and everything until it blows up in the competition’s face with every club wanting to bend, twist and break (Essendon) the rules to “Do What it Takes” to win a premiership – the AFL is opening up a can of worms by allowing Fremantle to rest most of their A side on the eve of the finals and they will be ill prepared to handle it in 2016 when every final’s bound club will want to do the same. It also begs the question, would the AFL had have been so accommodating if a Melbourne based club asked for the same consideration? p.s. There’s a whiff of the Bronwyn Bishop’s about the AFL justification!

Yeah I agree, its a can of worms that will be used as precedent in the future when the situation will affect teh final 8 make up. Already apparently Norf may do something similar to ensure they don't travel to Adelaide.

JamesTiger82 said:

Just our luck.

We are stupid for not doing it

IanG said:
Yeah I agree, its a can of worms that will be used as precedent in the future when the situation will affect teh final 8 make up. Already apparently Norf may do something similar to ensure they don't travel to Adelaide.

Freo already did it a few years ago

We are behind the times

jb03 said:
NOt sure we laid down. Wallace simply couldn't get a win on the board.

He stopped coaching knowing the prize we'd get if we lost. He admitted that and it's been discussed on here in the past.

pessimistic_ said:
We are stupid for not doing it

Why would we do it knowing that a loss would most probably result in a tripe to Adelaide? There's also the issue of flirting with form.

I think North will rest their ruckman and possibly Petrie... still 18 on the park and we will need to play our best to win. Maric/selection committee can have another week to figure how to nullify Goldstien... Can wait for Friday night to come..... Thursday night selection will be interesting too. Do we risk Lids (oh no no Lids no Richmond :p )??? Do we rest Newman ???

Need someone of LTR capabilities and get a decent body of work together, but i would think teams coming off a rest/Bye dont always play well the following week...

IanG said:
Why would we do it knowing that a loss would most probably result in a tripe to Adelaide? There's also the issue of flirting with form.

How many games did Richmond win before getting spanked by port ?

Form resets come week one of finals