Lyon's Request to "Rest" Fremantle players for Round 23 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Lyon's Request to "Rest" Fremantle players for Round 23

doesn't really bother me. my bias comes into it because its Ross Lyon. the other thing is it does give a virtual bye to players for the the first final. do they have any more right because they finished top? not at all.

Chiang Mai Tiger said:
Sure wish betting on the AFL wasn't such a powerful and influential monster it is.

Exactly right. Cart before the horse. They aren't doing it to influence betting markets. There is a strategic advantage in it for them. One they've earned by securing the minor premiership a week early.

don't know how Rossie's decision is going to wash with the WAFL . For the first time probably ever Peel who are aligned with Freo have made the finals . Ross resting all his players means those playing with Peel will come up effectively leaving Peel with a reserves side to go in their finals assalt

Reading the various statements it sounds like Freo doing it as more of a courtesy than anything else, or just as a precaution to make sure they aren't breaking any rules.

Panthera tigris FC said:
Exactly right. Cart before the horse. They aren't doing it to influence betting markets. There is a strategic advantage in it for them. One they've earned by securing the minor premiership a week early.
Good point. It does have side effects and that's one.
Another is that there will likely be some supporters who made bookings for flights, accommodation, tickets etc on the basis of seeing a strong Freo team.
It's not a good look - but agree it's a hard one to regulate.

Another bulls hit they can pick any 22 they want theres 40+ players getting payed by the club they should have the say who plays not the afl

My concern is that the only reason people don't care is because they are playing a team out of contention. How would we feel if they were playing Sydney this weekend and we needed them to win for a top 4 spot.

Can't pick and choose. I reckon it shouldn't be allowed

Sintiger said:
My concern is that the only reason people don't care is because they are playing a team out of contention. How would we feel if they were playing Sydney this weekend and we needed them to win for a top 4 spot.

Can't pick and choose. I reckon it shouldn't be allowed

How could you regulate it? A limited number of changes each week wouldn't work. Dunno.

Probably not feasible but I would give all teams playing in finals a week off before the finals start.

rosy23 said:
How could you regulate it? A limited number of changes each week wouldn't work. Dunno.
I agree but there must be a way otherwise why would Freo ask permission? They would have just gone and done it.

There is something called the Fairness and integrity rule ( or something like that) I understand, not sure what it means exactly.

Yeah I assume there's a reason behind it Sin. I just don't understand it.

The amended rule, No. 29, 'To Perform on One's Merits', reads: "(It) means at all times to perform honestly and to the best of one's ability in the pursuit only of legitimate competitive objectives.

"For the avoidance of doubt "legitimate competitive objective" includes the development of the team or players or management of player fatigue or injuries but does not include improving a club’s draft position, improving a club's position with respect to a potential player exchange or manipulating a club's position on the ladder for the purpose of improving its draw within the finals series."

So Freo resting players has no impact on finals therefore OK.

However, North resting will improve its draw (maybe) so would not be OK. But if they are fatigued or injured, no problem.

The rule was bought in after Ross Lyon rested 11 players in the final round a few years back. I think it was brought in to stop teams trying to blatantly manipulate their final ladder position. Freo can't lose top spot so I think the AFL have said they will allow it.
As someone else said though, it can affect other clubs potential draft positions though.

Ice said:
The amended rule, No. 29, 'To Perform on One's Merits', reads: "(It) means at all times to perform honestly and to the best of one's ability in the pursuit only of legitimate competitive objectives.

"For the avoidance of doubt "legitimate competitive objective" includes the development of the team or players or management of player fatigue or injuries but does not include improving a club’s draft position, improving a club's position with respect to a potential player exchange or manipulating a club's position on the ladder for the purpose of improving its draw within the finals series."

So Freo resting players has no impact on finals therefore OK.

However, North resting will improve its draw (maybe) so would not be OK. But if they are fatigued or injured, no problem.
great , thanks