Lynch !! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Lynch !!

About the smartest decision on Lynch the club could have made. Why risk playing him underdone in two pointless end of season games
He probably wasn’t right mate otherwise they may have played him. Our fitness crew I don’t trust and it needs a bigger upgrade than the JD stand.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with the decision for him to rebuild his fitness slowly.

Disagree with shopping folks around. We need to maintain a reputation as a club that treats their players well. If we want to remain a desirable location when we suck on field, when need to still remain a good destination.
Shipping players out in the last few years of a contract doesn't present us in a good light.

Reactions: 12 users
For all those that want to ship him out. Just remember, he chose us instead of Collingwood and he virtually won us the 19 flag with that game against Geelong.
If this club has something, it treats its champions with respect.
I couldn't bear watching him at Melbourne or Collingwood. It will bring back memories of BT bending us over at VFL Park in 87.

• Love
Reactions: 15 users

Disagree with shopping folks around. We need to maintain a reputation as a club that treats their players well. If we want to remain a desirable location when we suck on field, when need to still remain a good destination.
Shipping players out in the last few years of a contract doesn't present us in a good light.
If we shipped off all the players who we believe won’t be around for our next premiership and then also delisted all the players posters on PRE say are duds and aren’t up to AFL standard we are going to have 35 picks in the 2024 draft.
:unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users

It sounds romantic but this is bit of old school thinking that whilst holds some truth won't be what Blair should be ultimately thinking.
It's a professional game now.
Tom whilst a good fella ultimately left Gold Coast for coin & success. Don't lose sight that he was their captain at the time.
(Like Taranto, Hopper & others), he's a hired gun we got a couple of Premierships out of & he's very well compensated for that.
Players often hold the whip now & professional sports require ruthless decisions at times to win flags.
We need to do what it best for our club to win another premiership..that has casualties.

Reactions: 4 users
For all those that want to ship him out. Just remember, he chose us instead of Collingwood and he virtually won us the 19 flag with that game against Geelong.
I couldn't bear watching him at Melbourne or Collingwood. It will bring back memories of BT bending us over at VFL Park in 87.
Exactly Zips.

The other thing is how much he can help players like Fawcett, Lefau and Gray and potentially another draftee this year. They get to learn from one of the better forwards of the last decade.

Josh Gibcus spoke on the website of how much Dylan Grimes has helped him. We underestimate this sort of stuff.

We need a core of experienced players to remain at the club.

Reactions: 8 users
He’s not going to be there after next year. We have to work out a system without him and there’s this whole ‘oh if only Lynch was here’ when he can’t get on the park for more than a handful of games. We have to move on sooner or later, let’s do it sooner.
So you're willing to pay his contract for next year but not keep him on the list, without trying to trade him. That doesn't make sense to me at all.

The game moves on pretty quickly.
Tom hasn't played for two years & is 31 years of age. He might not play a game at those clubs (or ours), where as pick 17-25 might go towards the next Tom Lynch.
That's the punt.
Personally given where our list is at, as list manager I'd be asking the question but I'm not so it's a moot point.

So you're willing to pay his contract for next year but not keep him on the list, without trying to trade him. That doesn't make sense to me at all.
No one will want him, and if anyone did take him we’d have to pay most, if not all, of his contract. We could probably negotiate a deal that sees him retire with a similar pay out.

Can't agree glove. A 32 year old beat up injury prone Lynch is not getting us out of the bottom 4 even if he is kicking 3 a game. We need a LOT more than that.
Understand what you are saying, Ridds.
I partly agree.

Won't be on him, alone.
We need Lefau to help out.
Godcus can also play forward if he's not required back.
Gray will get his chance.

What I want to happen is the Tommy Gun get fully fit, get the pre season, then get some continuous footy in.
Only then we will know.
He hasn't played much last two Years. Should be fresh.
He may surprise.
As the Sydney win showed.
Clunking marks. 50 metre Goals.
I'm backing him in.

Reactions: 4 users
I partly agree.

Won't be on him, alone.
Godcus can also play forward if he's not required back.them all

What I want to happen is the Tommy Gun get fully fit, get the pre season, then get some continuous footy in.
Only then we will know.
He may surprise.
I'm backing him in.
Agree
If he does regain full fitness then he becomes a genuine marking threat - something sadly lacking this year

That doesn’t mean he’ll clunk them the way he did at his 2019-20 best - but it’s got to help the blokes bringing the ball down the ground.

It must be depressing for the blokes trying to bring the ball down the ground only to see it immediately rebounded back from our forward 50

Reactions: 1 users
Agree
If he does regain full fitness then he becomes a genuine marking threat - something sadly lacking this year

That doesn’t mean he’ll clunk them the way he did at his 2019-20 best - but it’s got to help the blokes bringing the ball down the ground.

It must be depressing for the blokes trying to bring the ball down the ground only to see it immediately rebounded back from our forward 50
Richo reckons that if we can get his hammys right he has a couple of years left because his body is well rested

Reactions: 2 users
Biggest question would be is he going to be part of our next Premiership team or would be be better off sending him to a contender for a late first or second round pick?
Even though he's barely played for 2 seasons & is now 31 years of age, a team like Melbourne, Collingwood or Gold Coast may take the punt. A fit Lynch is still a carrot.

The other side of it is that he's a natural leader & a great club person. If he can get fit then he may turn our own fortunes around quickly too.
I do think it's worth asking the question though given where we are at on the Premiership clock..
Yes, like any of these types of deals, there has to be demand, consultation and agreement. The GR days are long gone of putting a beloved player on the block as soon as they on the decline. I'm happy for him to stay, but if a club in the window comes a-calling, and he's happy to go, I'm happy to do a deal. A lot of big ifs, but IF it panned out, I reckon it would be a pick around 20 and we pay 50%-75% of his pay. It would be about a club thinking he can make the difference at the pointy end, and us using our cap to buy a pick.

But considering what he has delivered for us, and how strong our hand will be either way, and our cap room, I'm fine with him playing out his days on big dough and giving us something to enjoy for 10 games.

Reactions: 3 users
If we shipped off all the players who we believe won’t be around for our next premiership and then also delisted all the players posters on PRE say are duds and aren’t up to AFL standard we are going to have 35 picks in the 2024 draft.
:unsure:
We'd only have Samson Ryan and Kane McAuliffe left.

I partly agree.

Won't be on him, alone.
Godcus can also play forward if he's not required back.

Only then we will know.
He may surprise.
I'm backing him in.
Admire your optimism glove but think we need to be realistic.

Lynch is a proven performer and was a gun but 32 years old and now extremely injury prone
Lefau a 26 year old rookie who had never played an AFL game before this year and is coming off an ACL
Gibcus has obvious talent but has had an horrendous hamstring injury followed immediately by an ACL; no footy in 2 years
Gray has never played an AFL game and is coming off a bad hamstring injury

It's a lot to ask. I'll be straggered if we can drag ourselves out of the bottom 4 next year; bottom 2 highly likely.

Just need to take the medicine and hit the draft hard for the best young elite talent and develop them together for a push up the ladder in a few years. If we can jag a gun free agent or two along the way all the better.

Reactions: 6 users
The game moves on pretty quickly.
Tom hasn't played for two years & is 31 years of age. He might not play a game at those clubs (or ours), where as pick 17-25 might go towards the next Tom Lynch.
That's the punt.
Personally given where our list is at, as list manager I'd be asking the question but I'm not so it's a moot point.
Collingwood don't have a decent pick and if Melbourne came with there 1st pick, you would be stupid not to look at it.
But not a 3rd rounder

Yes, like any of these types of deals, there has to be demand, consultation and agreement. The GR days are long gone of putting a beloved player on the block as soon as they on the decline. I'm happy for him to stay, but if a club in the window comes a-calling, and he's happy to go, I'm happy to do a deal. A lot of big ifs, but IF it panned out, I reckon it would be a pick around 20 and we pay 50%-75% of his pay. It would be about a club thinking he can make the difference at the pointy end, and us using our cap to buy a pick.

But considering what he has delivered for us, and how strong our hand will be either way, and our cap room, I'm fine with him playing out his days on big dough and giving us something to enjoy for 10 games.
Good post TS.

Understand all that but unlike BT Lynch is carrying chronic injuries that will only get worse not better.IMO he will be lucky to get back on the field for any great length of time.

• Sad
Understand all that but unlike BT Lynch is carrying chronic injuries that will only get worse not better.IMO he will be lucky to get back on the field for any great length of time.
Doctor Gold…! His foot is most likely 100%. Many players have had bad strings and got back. Richo had the same Op as did Lloydy.
He is lean and agile and I reckon he is gunna be ok. And I would know about as much as you from where I sit.
Can’t wait to have him back for a couple more big years he is worth so much to our team

Reactions: 1 users