Jacob Townsend | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jacob Townsend

He laid some massive tackles and hits in the grand final. He was as important as anyone in setting the tone for the day.

turk-d-tiger said:
Even if Townsend doesnt do another thing whilst at Tigerland, That crunching tackle on crouch was worth every dime we paid him in his time with us.

I just went Ohhhhhh that hurt when watching it and still think that crouch would be feeling that crunch 2 months later

* Lever hyper ventilating during the scare crow stance was another moment i'll never forget - What a tosser

Another great thing about that tackle, as soon as he hits him the crowd go off. No delay.

turk-d-tiger said:
Even if Townsend doesnt do another thing whilst at Tigerland, That crunching tackle on crouch was worth every dime we paid him in his time with us.

I just went Ohhhhhh that hurt when watching it and still think that crouch would be feeling that crunch 2 months later

* Lever hyper ventilating during the scare crow stance was another moment i'll never forget - What a tosser

From this
b4aa25ec5469b0505903849d73dbaf5f
to this
5d923291b2945aead73b8d36ff74237b

I could happily re-live those moments weekly for many years to come!

Two brilliant act by Towner that won't be in the stats. Start of second quarter runs into square and smashes McKay front-on who is about to take possession. Then does it again start of 3rd in forward line on Crouch just after Jack's big speccy. (BT says 'strong contact from Townsend ') both not tackles, both on players not quite in possession, both hard hits, both at the start of the Q and helped set the tone. I reckon they were both planned. Brilliant coaching and execution. Maximising Towners strength and rugby league skills where front on attack on the man is key.

(he did it one other time too but pulled it a bit, gave away free to Jenkins around halfway through second Q).

tigersnake said:
Two brilliant act by Towner that won't be in the stats. Start of second quarter runs into square and smashes McKay front-on who is about to take possession. Then does it again start of 3rd in forward line on Crouch just after Jack's big speccy. (BT says 'strong contact from Townsend ') both not tackles, both on players not quite in possession, both hard hits, both at the start of the Q and helped set the tone. I reckon they were both planned. Brilliant coaching and execution. Maximising Towners strength and rugby league skills where front on attack on the man is key.

(he did it one other time too but pulled it a bit, gave away free to Jenkins around halfway through second Q).
I am sure it has been raised but the special goal involving broad clearance-jack handball-lablett run-prestia goal, check out towners tackle on sloane. He absolutely nailed sloane, sloane coughed up the ball in a panic, jack intercepted and handballed to lambert and tigers were away. When lambert is running into the forward line, in the background you can still see towner sitting on top of sloane.

The bloke is gold.

If you look back at the photo of Big Bad/Sad Tex post-match, he is sporting a very swollen left cheek-bone. Noticed that long ago but never commented until now. Someone gave him one.

leon said:
If you look back at the photo of Big Bad/Sad Tex post-match, he is sporting a very swollen left cheek-bone. Noticed that long ago but never commented until now. Someone gave him one.

The rumour was that Tex and Lever had a punch-up at half time. Tex denied it, but the shiner isn't there before half-time and there don't seem to be any passages of play all day where Tex takes a hit.

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
The rumour was that Tex and Lever had a punch-up at half time. Tex denied it, but the shiner isn't there before half-time and there don't seem to be any passages of play all day where Tex takes a hit.

Fascinating. Thanks for that; never heard this rumour till now. Imagine if it's true - looks like Tex had a really terrible day all-round. Lost everything: the match, the flag, his battles with Rancey, even including a punch-on with the black-belt kid, Lever!

No wonder he came out since and fired a shot at Lever for abandoning the AFC. Should be lots of interesting 're-matches' for Big Sad Tex in'18.

leon said:
Fascinating. Thanks for that; never heard this rumour till now. Imagine if it's true - looks like Tex had a really terrible day all-round. Lost everything: the match, the flag, his battles with Rancey, even including a punch-on with the black-belt kid, Lever!

No wonder he came out since and fired a shot at Lever for abandoning the AFC. Should be lots of interesting 're-matches' for Big Sad Tex in'18.

Whenever I watch Caddy having a go at Lever at the end of Q1 I can't help but hope he was yelling at the Crows joining the melee: "Why are you backing Leaver up? He hates you and your sh!t club so much he'd rather be a Demon. Haargh! Haargh! Haargh! Haargh!"

Gotta love Caddy.

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
Whenever I watch Caddy having a go at Lever at the end of Q1 I can't help but hope he was yelling at the Crows joining the melee: "Why are you backing Leaver up? He hates you and your sh!t club so much he'd rather be a Demon. Haargh! Haargh! Haargh! Haargh!"

Gotta love Caddy.

Hahahaha thats exactly what a Campaigner like Caddy would do to kill off any spirit that was left in the Crows

Jacob brings so much to our team. He took some important marks, laid tackles and kick crucial goals. He gave two away. Hard to match him up. This is a great story, I'm so proud of this bloke and his fighting spirit. Well done Mr Townsend. Hope 2018 is even better year for you.

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:

thats one helluva rumour.

I'll certainly be watching Melbourne V Adelaide closely this year ;D

The contrast between Dusty signing on to stay at Richmond and Lever and Cameron going into the Grand Final knowing they were leaving is stark.

One team was united and the other was fracturing into pieces. Sloane is probably not far behind the other two either, truth be told.

2018 might be a difficult year for the Crows.

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:

Gotta love Caddy.

I doubt that a player who is at his third club would be yelling those words.

yandb said:
I doubt that a player who is at his third club would be yelling those words.

I would say the exact opposite actually - Caddy knows exactly what its like to be somewhere you dont want to be and want to go home

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:

Fists of fury Lever nailed Tex? LOL

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:

I thought his eyes were just puffy from crying

I was talking to a Carlton supporter yesterday about Townsend. He said he is like Brad Pearce from Carlton who had one awesome year in 1995 and was a dud in the rest.

I think Townsend can be an effective player moving forward as he now has the confidence that he now belongs. Oh and I want to see him crunch the opposition in bone crushing tackles.