Jacob Townsend | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jacob Townsend

Brooklyn Tiger said:
As great as he has been, and he really has been excellent. I can't help but think he will find it tough to get a gig next yr. We need to find spots for Bolton and we may have another tall fwd that we want to play for structure...

He will never have a higher trade value than now as cruel as that sounds..
oh dear. JT is not a short fwd but almost to the height of JR. Would not trade any of the premiership players.

pokey said:
I reckon if Lever had his time again, he would do the same thing.

He's a very good football player Lever, but as dumb as a sock.
Lever would never face off to him again. Towner rag dolled him politely, lever had no comeback and gave up instantly. Crapped himself for the rest of the day. Looked at the replay so often after that so he didn't have to look into towners eyes.
Forever to be know as towners b!tch.

Al Bundy said:
oh dear. JT is not a short fwd but almost to the height of JR. Would not trade any of the premiership players.
195cm vs 187cm.

That's quite a difference.

Does anyone else think Towner got us going in the second quarter?

The tackle, the goal, the mark in the middle.

He was involved in several critical moments and won them all.

Almost single-handedly turned the tide.

I do concede we were probably gonna do it at some point anyway, but JT was a catalyst.

Big game player if ever I saw one.

I think Riewoldt's tackle in the first and mark got our confidence up, but Towner's tackle was ferocious. I think it sent a signal we wouldn't be intimidated, particularly after some plastic tough guy work by the Crows at quarter time (not to mention their wanker like stare down).

We needed some physicality in our side for years. Towner, Caddy, Nanks and McIntosh bring it in spades.

Brooklyn Tiger said:
As great as he has been, and he really has been excellent. I can't help but think he will find it tough to get a gig next yr. We need to find spots for Bolton and we may have another tall fwd that we want to play for structure...

He will never have a higher trade value than now as cruel as that sounds..
Sorry can't agree 2 different types. Bolton may well take george's place eventually when he builds a tank. Depends on how the forward structure is planned for 2018. At present Towner is unique a mini Brereton constantly having class back men looking over their shoulder. Have another look at the GF when there was a ball up in our forward line both Crouch's noted where Towner was. IMO A number of sides next year will have a Towner clone. If by some good fortune we get Lynch (the Adelaide one would also be useful) the choice would be between Caddy and Towner I feel. Cant see it happening in 2018 tho.

The_General said:
I think Riewoldt's tackle in the first and mark got our confidence up, but Towner's tackle was ferocious. I think it sent a signal we wouldn't be intimidated, particularly after some plastic tough guy work by the Crows at quarter time (not to mention their wanker like stare down).

We needed some physicality in our side for years. Towner, Caddy, Nanks and McIntosh bring it in spades.

And don't underestimate these types in finals. There were some very good reasons that Walker and Co didn't start any blues. Don't forget the sides we have had in the past that have been intimidated. These guys do not take a backward step and stand up for each other when the heat is on. Towner hurt a few bodies with his aggression in the GF.

He'll never leave the forward line while he is taking marks and is so accurate in front of goals AND is doing a lock down job on a great opposition defender. Often players will do one or the other Townsend is doing both. Bloody brilliant.

The military style attack/tackling is a bonus and the elite general forward pressure which he brings is simply a given for the Tigers grand final forward line.

Yep if Castagna could make the most of his scoring opportunities like Townsend has we'd probably have a youngish Eddie Betts on our hands. Townsend's kicking for gola has been unbelievable.

The only problem I see with Towner is that he forgets himself one night at tackling drills and delivers one of his missiles to Cotchy or Dusty! He might need a Rioli style message on his hand that says "leave Brownlow boys be".

Baron Samedi said:

I do concede we were probably gonna do it at some point anyway, but JT was a catalyst.

Correct Baron,

IMO the Townsend tackle started our run.

Baron Samedi said:

Great pick up.

Just watching the 2Q replay at the moment. We are just hanging in over the first 10 minutes of the quarter. Adelaide miss a number of gettable shots. But those are two critical turning points.

His tackle and Lambert's mark in the last quarter were two of my cherished moments in the game. Both these guys were fantastic during the finals especially. Real heart and soul players. But that one tackle was for me quite pivotal. I really do think it started the rot for Adelaide. It was brutal.