Jacob Townsend | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jacob Townsend

In Balmey we trust.

Balmey is one of the most honest operators out there (apart from when he's lying to the media!).

If he has given Towner an assurance we will pick him up post draft then that's what will happen.

End of.

TOT70 said:
So Geelong and Sydney have swapped Dan Menzel and Gary Rohan.

Think I would prefer Rohan but I guess Sydney get a pick too.
Menzel has impacted far more at afl than Rohan who averages 9p a game and less than 1g , he’s lucky to still be listed

Rather rookie a young kid from the draft to be honest didn't maintain his game this season or improve it.

Whether people think that he is good enough, or whether he has improved or not is incidental to the reality of what he can deliver. Everyone keeps saying that he can only tackle?...I think on occasion he can also kick a few goals from memory

If in doubt you should re-watch our last 6 games of 2017 and just appreciate his performances. I can tell you that I'm much happier having him on the list as our possibly worst player given that we only have to rookie list him.

ahyeahnah said:
Whether people think that he is good enough, or whether he has improved or not is incidental to the reality of what he can deliver. Everyone keeps saying that he can only tackle?...I think on occasion he can also kick a few goals from memory

If in doubt you should re-watch our last 6 games of 2017 and just appreciate his performances. I can tell you that I'm much happier having him on the list as our possibly worst player given that we only have to rookie list him.

That's in 2017 not in 2018 tho that's the point he couldn't do that this season at all or improve kick goals or take marks.

Regardless of what he can & can't do this bloke will bust his guts for whoever he's playing for.Love him.

Thanks god he's still with us!

tigerdave said:
Regardless of what he can & can't do this bloke will bust his guts for whoever he's playing for.Love him.

Thanks god he's still with us!

Agree.

We've lost a lot of depth which i'm ok with, Towner will provide some depth if we get some injuries whether it's forwards or midfielders.

daniel30 said:
That's in 2017 not in 2018 tho that's the point he couldn't do that this season at all or improve kick goals or take marks.
Whatever...like I said if he's the last and worst player on our list then we are in pretty good shape.

Plenty of players have had crap seasons, and insignificant careers. Towner is a premiership player who hit a purple patch which means he is capable of doing it again.

So this year the alternative to Towner is us spotting five new rookies in one draft year who will all be better than Towner and indeed better in 2019?

To quote Christopher Lambert - "I don't think so!"

Brettstigers said:
So this year the alternative to Towner is us spotting five new rookies in one draft year who will all be better than Towner and indeed better in 2019?
Not necessarily. You’re hoping he’s better in 2020, 2021, 2022 etc.

Brettstigers said:

To quote Christopher Lambert - "I don't think so!"

Obviously it is doubtful all 5 would give a better return, but the less we take the less chance there is of getting the one who is a success.
As an aside our last 9 picks, over the last 4 years have been:
Baker
Stengle
Moore, Chol, Marcon
Short, Castagna, Lambert, Arnott.

I would take all of them before Townsend as a rookie, besides Arnott- who was re-rookied, and perhaps Marcon, though he probably performed better in his 2 games than Townsend did in his games in 2018.

Townsend kick 12 goals in 10games this year. 9 of them came in 3 games against the Blooze, lions and Dockers. so in games against teams better than VFL quality he kicked 3 in 7 games. in those games he averaged about 8 disposals.
he had a purple patch in 2017, after a consistent VFL season. Based on every other season he has had in the AFL though he probably isnt worth a spot on the list.

ahyeahnah said:
Whatever...like I said if he's the last and worst player on our list then we are in pretty good shape.

Plenty of players have had crap seasons, and insignificant careers. Towner is a premiership player who hit a purple patch which means he is capable of doing it again.

Not necessarily. How many times have we seen a player come in and take the opposition by surprise? Then the next year they fall back in performane because the opposition has spent more time deciphering and counter-acting their strengths. I believe this is the Townsend scenario. If Townsend was not so immensely accurate at shooting for goal in 2017 (and stats say you can never keep anywhere near that level of accuracy up over time) he would have been mediocre. Thankfully he did though as there is no doubt he contributed greatly to our 2017 premiership.

tigerlove said:
How many times have we seen a player come in and take the opposition by surprise? Then the next year they fall back in performane because the opposition has spent more time deciphering and counter-acting their strengths.

Not that many.

Mark Dwyer springs to mind. Hopefully Mason Cox?

He's great backup, because you know his defensive pressure will be there every time, and thats what the coaches want. Attacking pressure is just a bonus.

tigerlove said:
How many times have we seen a player come in and take the opposition by surprise? Then the next year they fall back in performane because the opposition has spent more time deciphering and counter-acting their strengths.
Justin Plapp springs to mind.

Tames said:
He's great backup, because you know his defensive pressure will be there every time, and thats what the coaches want. Attacking pressure is just a bonus.

Except his overall pressure in 2018 was average. Only managed 3 tackles a game, less than Rioli, Butler, Townsend and just above Castagna who had 2.91. So really he didn't excel in that department and too slow to apply manic pressure. Sure he is an able bit depth player and still valuable as say a rookie player but the sort of player you can always look to improve on.