Jacob Townsend | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jacob Townsend

bigwow said:
Number 21 the latest in list of numbers vacant for 2019 on RFC website.

Interesting given that the article even acknowledges that he could be re-drafted.

zippadeee said:
If your so strong of letting him go. How do you go still knowing that menadue and elllis is still on the list.
What does short bring to the side besides feeding off handballs to kick goals?

Ibelieve from my readings that you wanna keep Townsend and get rid of Rance. I agree that particularly Menadue is lucky to still be on our list but always thought one of he and C Ellis would stay. Townsend is vying for a position where we have a lot of competition in the forward line. He's not going to break out as a defender so it makes sense that Richmond are not too fussed on letting him go from the main list but take him back if available as a rookie.

Mr Brightside said:
Article saying Towner is likely to stay at Punt Rd , Swans have cooooooooled

Yet they seem to be interested in Menzel from Geelong!
The force of any one of Towner's tackles would be more than the total of all of those Menzels has made in his lifetime.

Should he stay, will he work on himself to fulfil another role within RFC in the hope of adding to his appearances in the firsts? If he wants it hard enough and works hard enough anything is posible

Tenacious said:
Yet they seem to be interested in Menzel from Geelong!
The force of any one of Towner's tackles would be more than the total of all of those Menzels has made in his lifetime.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=I&tid1=10&playerStatus2=I&tid2=15&type=A&pid1=3330&pid2=3790&fid1=C&fid2=C

Menzel pretty much in front in every other stat. Almost 3 times as many goals per game. 3 times more contested marks. Even more contested ball. Yep Townsend is a strong tackler but you need to have more to your bow than that.

Happy to keep Towner.

Menzel is underrated. I know the game has changed but I remember Menzel schooling Buddy in a game pre his first AFL knee injury.

Menzel has class and surrounded by enough grunt that is valuable. The game Geelong won against Dees at the Cattery, three Menzel kicks stood out. Two in the third when they were under the pump. One a kick in to a player on the move outside the arc, another to a forward running into space - both led to goals and his kick in the final seconds on the wing inside to Hawkins which eventually got to Toohey. Gold Jerry Gold.

Geelongs problem is that they had no mozzies who could apply pressure, hence Menzel's weaknesses are magnified.

Two goals a game on .006 of one knee is pretty good though.

YinnarTiger said:
Are Richmond allowed to rookie him directly or do we have to hope no-one in front of us in the rookie draft picks him?
I think if no one picks him up in the national draft we can automatically put him on the rookie list YT

Mr Brightside said:
I think if no one picks him up in the national draft we can automatically put him on the rookie list YT
Not sure that’s right. Pretty sure we have to select him in the rookie draft. If we don’t (and no one else does) he,d be just become another ex AFL player.

So Geelong and Sydney have swapped Dan Menzel and Gary Rohan.

Think I would prefer Rohan but I guess Sydney get a pick too.

TOT70 said:

ditto. Menzel gets some props after how many cooked knees, etc..? but that doesn't make me want to pick him...

TOT70 said:

It' funny how these guys have been painted as stars by certain quarters of the AFL media yet both clubs seemed very happy to get rid of them.

Tigers of Old said:
It' funny how these guys have been painted as stars by certain quarters of the AFL media yet both clubs seemed very happy to get rid of them.

Both massive duds.
With so many teams average players are hanging around longer.

Pretty sure we will need to select Townsend/Chol in the Rookie draft

Usually the gentleman agreement between clubs is other clubs wont select the player you intend to re draft as a rookie but you will need to select him with your first rookie pick then after that if you have not selected him its open slather and anybody is entitled to take him.