Jacob Townsend | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jacob Townsend

richards42 said:
Wow I agree with you Zip. I had to look twice to see who penned such a positive reply.

It's a really sad day that we could lose Townsend but wake up tommorow and still see Menadue & Short still at punt road.

zippadeee said:
The club has an obligation to keep him on the list.
He was one of the major reasons we ended a 37 year drought.
You don't throw them away. Your telling me that he isn't worth a spot on a list of 42? Whatever it is.
People want to lose him and then go out and pick up the X Collingwood dud or Grigg that failed both at Geelong and Adelaide. Townsend just won the best VFL player, the best and strongest comp outside the AFL.
Clubs are Bulit on people like Townsend, he stays.

P.s hopefully the bloke that goes through social media at the club reads this...

This tweet is so 2017. Nice sentiment but you've got to keep moving forward. If Jacob isn't in our plans to play senior football then move him on. It's as simple as that.

Tigers of Old said:
This tweet is so 2017. Nice sentiment but you've got to keep moving forward. If Jacob isn't in our plans to play senior football then move him on. It's as simple as that.

Townsend is more then a 'sentimental' player. He is more a footballer then half the duds they will waste picks on in 2 weeks.
How much better do you want him to be? He just won the B&F in the VFL. Kicked 15 goals in 5 big games to lead us to the flag.
And now 12.months later after suffering a broken leg. He is a dud & he is no good.
Its all bulshit. Put him on the half back, move him in the middle and make him a full time tagger.
He made one the best defenders (lever) play like *smile*.
He still has alot to offer.

Tigers of Old said:

If your so strong of letting him go. How do you go still knowing that menadue and elllis is still on the list.
What does short bring to the side besides feeding off handballs to kick goals?

Spot on Zip

it's been interesting reading some of the posts about Jacob

some people so quickly forget what he offers to the club, team and us ( the supporters)

look at his many strengths and not at his minor flaw

play him off the back line -------------- running through the middle ...............ending up in the forward line

no more opposition taggers tagging our midfielders

he puts genuine fear in opposition players and coaches

keep and develop his game further

he is Richmond!

zippadeee said:
Townsend is more then a 'sentimental' player. He is more a footballer then half the duds they will waste picks on in 2 weeks.
How much better do you want him to be? He just won the B&F in the VFL. Kicked 15 goals in 5 big games to lead us to the flag.
And now 12.months later after suffering a broken leg. He is a dud & he is no good.
Its all bulsh!t. Put him on the half back, move him in the middle and make him a full time tagger.
He made one the best defenders (lever) play like sh!t.
He still has alot to offer.
He's a VFL footballer. There are plenty of players who have a purple patch or a once in a lifetime season, but never reach those heights again. Townsend's just happened to coincide with a drought breaking Premiership. I'm sure you've called those others duds when they've failed to reproduce that form, just the way Jacob has. He's ok for a rookie spot, but nothing else.

CarnTheTiges said:
He's ok for a rookie spot, but nothing else.

No disrespect but you forgot to add that is your opinion.

Others like myself and zippy have a differing one.

Love Towner and hope he stays and proves some here wrong. He wasn't given a lot of chances last year yet people want him gone.

Gee wizz, by how people are rating him you would think that Menadue is extremely lucky to be at the club still.

Each to their own.

I think we all love Towner, however I highly doubt that Towner been on or off the list will be the difference in winning a flag. I know my hope that he stays at Punt Rd is more a decision made by the heart not the head.

Interesting situation with Towner. Doubt he'd be just a 'VFL player' if he was originally drafted at GWS. I reckon he's got more upside than we think but looks a bit introverted on-field.

IMO, we should keep him. Senior or rookie.

Apart from my sentimental liking for Towner...I actually think he is a very good player and we need him at tigerland..hope badly that he stays.

at a club where the 'role' is spruiked you would think there's one for him at least at depth level. i recall at some point thinking, 'great, Towners kicking for goal, chalk it up'. he couldn't miss. and he was laying solid tackles.
The comparable players are probably Menadue and Moore. Connor hasn't exactly set the G on fire and i quite liked Moore he seemed to have a go. Is it Moore that has favour over Townsend?
and now Lynch is a Tiger that effects Townsends scenario as well.

Mr Brightside said:
I think we all love Towner, however I highly doubt that Towner been on or off the list will be the difference in winning a flag. I know my hope that he stays at Punt Rd is more a decision made by the heart not the head.
And that he was given only a year's exrension after being part of the flag side says something about how his longevity at the highest level was viewed by those who make the decisions about the list at the club. Had they considered his game and ability to be worthy of staying at the ckub he would have been extended part way through last season. Other team mates were.

zippadeee said:

5 big games hey? You mean including the two dead rubbers against lowly Freo & Aints? Maybe you'll include his impressive bag of 4 against powerhouse Carlton in round 1 too?!
In the finals against quality opponents he kicked 5 goals from the 3 games. He played well sure but lets not let fantasy get in the way of reality here.
Look Jacob played his defensive fwd role to perfection in the finals last year but lets keep things in perspective yeah zipper?
More recently his 2018 was very average playing the same role that he did during his streak late 2017. Offer him a Steve Morris like contract if he's got so much to offer in the VFL.

I look at it this way , Without a genuine 2nd KPF we needed to play a 'Defensive Foward' Like Townsend to keep the 2nd/3rd KPD away from Jack to allow him to compete

With Lynch now in the team this eliminates that need as the 2nd KPD will be too busy trying to keep Lynch away from the ball and the 3rd KPD will be too busy trying to work out which one of Dusty or Caddy is going to rip him a new one

Townsend just doesnt have a role any longer

Tigers of Old said:
5 big games hey? You mean including the two dead rubbers against lowly Freo & Aints? Maybe you'll include his impressive bag of 4 against powerhouse Carlton in round 1 too?!
In the finals against quality opponents he kicked 5 goals from the 3 games. He played well sure but lets not let fantasy get in the way of reality here.
Look Jacob played his defensive fwd role to perfection in the finals last year but lets keep things in perspective yeah zipper?
More recently his 2018 was very average playing the same role that he did during his streak late 2017. Offer him a Steve Morris like contract if he's got so much to offer in the VFL.

I had him pegged as favourite for the Coleman Medal after those six games.

If the club are 50/50 on keeping him or not then the sentimentality for what he was a part of keeps him on the list as a rookie.

But if the clubs more certain than not that he shouldn't be, then they should cut.

He gets some brownie points, but not a lot.

Baloo said:
If the club are 50/50 on keeping him or not then the sentimentality for what he was a part of keeps him on the list as a rookie.

But if the clubs more certain than not that he shouldn't be, then they should cut.

He gets some brownie points, but not a lot.

Sums it up for me too - on the basis that he doesn't get picked up by another club. If he could get a deal somewhere else - good luck to him

Would much rather keep Towner as a back-up than fill the spot with an alternative mature age VFL hopeful.