Jacob Townsend | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jacob Townsend

I actually reckon he’s a perfect fit for GWS.

They need muscle and blokes who will do the team thing first.

I can understand the club's position and it is clear that we have salary cap pressure. But I would like to keep Townsend, 25 already though, tough decision. This is where you start to question keeping a player, Chol is much younger so, in comparison, probably more worth persisting with.

I would think another side will go for Townsend, he does have a fair bit of upside and I would certainly have a go at using him as a tagger.

I suppose it is out of our hands now, we'll just have to wait and see.

DS

DavidSSS said:
I would think another side will go for Townsend, he does have a fair bit of upside and I would certainly have a go at using him as a tagger.

As a 25-26yo next year already been in the AFL system at two clubs over 7 years I'd say his upside is limited. You are getting what he's shown. I have no qualms with letting Townsend go and trying our hand at an extra untried mature-age rookie pick (we've been quite successful at this).

tigerlove said:
Why 2 years? Their first rookie picks before ours, they could just pick him up as a rookie.
Yes but why leave for a year on their rookie list, he might as well stay with us.

The Swans wont play finals in 2019 so if he doesn't get at least two years how does he benefit by being rookie listed at the Swans?

ahyeahnah said:
Yes but why leave for a year on their rookie list, he might as well stay with us.

Because we didn't want him on our main list which means he now has the option to go into the draft. He then doesn't get to choose which team he wants to play for. He is drafted to whichever team picks him first. His only option then would be to not accept and sit out of AFL footy. I don't think a 2 year deal would be on the cards for any other team choosing to pick him up. They don't have to offer 2 years.

tigerlove said:
Because we didn't want him on our main list which means he now has the option to go into the draft. He then doesn't get to choose which team he wants to play for. He is drafted to whichever team picks him first. His only option then would be to not accept and sit out of AFL footy. I don't think a 2 year deal would be on the cards for any other team choosing to pick him up. They don't have to offer 2 years.
But Sydney are on the record saying that they want him because he adds experience and support for Franklin. If they think that he can add that level of improvement to their list they may have a bigger picture for him.
Also if GWS are in fact looking at redrafting him then Sydney need to take it more seriously

ahyeahnah said:
But Sydney are on the record saying that they want him because he adds experience and support for Franklin. If they think that he can add that level of improvement to their list they may have a bigger picture for him.
Also if GWS are in fact looking at redrafting him then Sydney need to take it more seriously

I'm a bit surprised that GC weren't interested. They need someone to protect Peter Wright next year and Towner would have been the perfect option in their forward line.

ahyeahnah said:

Would suit the more compact SCG, could inflict some pain on oppositions there...

The Lurker said:
Would suit the more compact SCG, could inflict some pain on oppositions there...

Players might actually prefer to be tackled by Towner on the SCG, if the 2nd option is the Budwa coming in over the top with a clothesline that he won't be suspended for.

The Lurker said:
And that's exactly why I reckon Sydney are taking him seriously

Sydney are too slow and need pace + more dynamic gamestyle. With Rohan and towers gone their only speed is ronke and papley(half quick)
They have Reid and Mccartin as 2nd key forwards, one is always injured and the other still too young.
Towner could replace Mccartin but would be a slow undersized 2nd forward not what they need at all.... bad call by the swannies if it happens

Tigers of Old said:
Either we want him or we don't surely? There's no room for sentiment in today's game. If he's not part of the furture plans, he's a list clogger.

The club has an obligation to keep him on the list.
He was one of the major reasons we ended a 37 year drought.
You don't throw them away. Your telling me that he isn't worth a spot on a list of 42? Whatever it is.
People want to lose him and then go out and pick up the X Collingwood dud or Grigg that failed both at Geelong and Adelaide. Townsend just won the best VFL player, the best and strongest comp outside the AFL.
Clubs are Bulit on people like Townsend, he stays.

P.s hopefully the bloke that goes through social media at the club reads this...

zippadeee said:
The club has an obligation to keep him on the list.
He was one of the major reasons we ended a 37 year drought.
You don't throw them away. Your telling me that he isn't worth a spot on a list of 42? Whatever it is.
People want to lose him and then go out and pick up the X Collingwood dud or Grigg that failed both at Geelong and Adelaide. Townsend just won the best VFL player, the best and strongest comp outside the AFL.
Clubs are Bulit on people like Townsend, he stays.

P.s hopefully the bloke that goes through social media at the club reads this...

Best post ever Zip
I concur.

If we do rookie him I hope he trains with the midfield group ( negating role) I think it’s the only chance he has now to have any impact at AFL level, in saying that with pretty much our starting midfield at VFL level gone I think Towner would be great for the kids coming through.