Jacob Townsend | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jacob Townsend

ahyeahnah said:
Totally agree with you. We have Markov, Naish, Baker, Balta, CCJ, Menadue, Moore and another four coming in November, with another couple of spots for delisted free agents.

At this stage I would still pick Towner over all of them. It's another story when we get to this time next year but we've offloaded plenty of mid range to meddling players and Towner has different skills to all of them.

Well said.
Some still on the list should buy a tatts ticket

zippadeee said:
Well said.
Some still on the list should buy a tatts ticket
I'm with you Zip, I reckon some of those guys are only there because they are cheap and we have a salary cap squeeze.

Apparently the club has told him to explore his options, hence doing a medical at Sydney.
Could be rookied if he stays.

curious to see what happens with Townsend, but i can imagine the Swans taking him.
we must have salary cap issues because he is better than Menadue at least. isn't he?

tigertough12 said:
He’s a one hit wonder... showed nothing this year.
Can’t see him getting a game ... delist
Harsh but probably fairly close to the mark. Towner rummaged around at GeeWhizz for a bit n then rummaged around a bit for us without really being noticed. Fell into a perfect hole when Cads got suspended n for a few weeks was bloody unbelievable. Disappeared this year virtually as quickly as he exploded onto the comp last year unfortunately. Happy to keep Towner on the list for next year if he can't find another club, but he'd want to find that something special again if he wants senior games.

Am a fan of Towna but his career can be summed up in 5 games.

Great if he stays, best of luck if he moves on.

artball said:
curious to see what happens with Townsend, but i can imagine the Swans taking him.
we must have salary cap issues because he is better than Menadue at least. isn't he?

Well we know what Towner can produce but he couldn’t get anywhere near that level of form this year - so I am glad I saw his purple patch, it was great why it lasted but I don’t want to be like the doggies who held onto players who couldn’t replicate their premiership form for far too long.

I have absolutely no problems rolling through players on our squad who are not currently in our best 22.

Menadue- well the club must believe that he can still build to his purple patch and therefore has more upside than Towner.

I think also that now we are a top 4 team, the talent of those 23 -28 ranked players are so much better than what we are used to but we need this group to improve to the point where they push and compete with our 18 - 22 ranked players and ultimately replace them, obviously the club believe Towner, Miles etc can’t do that

Towner is up against Lynch for a spot. Not going to happen.

Sydney may not have the same queue of players.

Hell this year George and Butler will be going head to head for a spot.

Sadly, he is a victim of expectation after his heroics to finish 2017. It was always going to be tough for him.

I know that I am as fair-minded as anyone, but I had him as favourite for the 2018 Coleman Medal. Imagine what the non-fair minded fans were thinking!

year of the tiger said:
Well we know what Towner can produce but he couldn’t get anywhere near that level of form this year - so I am glad I saw his purple patch, it was great why it lasted but I don’t want to be like the doggies who held onto players who could replicate their premiership form for far too long.

I have absolutely no problems rolling through players on our squad who are not currently in our best 22.

Menadue- well the club must believe that he can still build to his purple patch and therefore has more upside than Towner.

I think also that now we are a top 4 team, the talent of those 23 -28 ranked players are so much better than what we are used to but we need this group to improve to the point where they push and compete with our 18 - 22 ranked players and ultimately replace them, obviously the club believe Towner, Miles etc can’t do that

thanks for the intelligent reply YOTT. the club do know best and Balme is an astute operator. the Dogs reference is a good one. makes sense. i don't rate Menadue (so far) so here's hoping he builds.

artball said:
thanks for the intelligent reply YOTT. the club do know best and Balme is an astute operator. the Dogs reference is a good one. makes sense. i don't rate Menadue (so far) so here's hoping he builds.
The beauty of the footy dept is that, as you rightly point out, they do know best.

Al of the decisions that have been made over the last 4-5 years have been excellent apart from a couple of selections that flopped, but they steered us to a flag.

Eat 'em alive...

ahyeahnah said:
The beauty of the footy dept is that, as you rightly point out, they do know best.

Al of the decisions that have been made over the last 4-5 years have been excellent apart from a couple of selections that flopped, but they steered us to a flag.

Eat 'em alive...

Yeah despite Hampson & Yarran amongst others ... it did work out ok

DirtyDogTiger said:
Hahahaha I was actually referring to Lennon and C. Ellis but yep, throw in those two as well

DirtyDogTiger said:

Hampson was backup when 2 rucks were still in vogue. The game changed and he got injured all at the same time.

Yarran was why Dan Richo got demoted. As far as mistakes go that was gold plated.

To de-list someone who maybe the hardest impact tackler I've seen, worries me, especially with our sketchy back up list.

He tackles everyone like they are a training padded bag, no consideration for his well being. I'd like to think we could do something with him to complement that.