Jacob Townsend | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jacob Townsend

Higgins jumped the queue in his first year & squeezed out Towner. Higgins aint got a Premiership Medal but Towner does. Chalk & cheese Higgins & Towner but come GF day Towner did not let us down nor did Higgins in Finals loss to the Pies. IMO I would keep Towner on the books . Been in the system seven years, only 24 & knows what is required of him.

I get the romance about a player who was part of our flag but if he stays he will play very few games and that's because in reality he is a limited footballer.

I love what he does to maximise his value to the team but he is a fringe player.

DjJazzyPete said:
Is he staying ? Is he going ?

Article in today's Age https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/swans-consider-premiership-tiger-menzel-not-ruled-out-20181026-p50c36.html

If link doesn't work - here's a few snippets

Sydney are considering recruiting Richmond premiership forward Jacob Townsend, but the Tigers have committed to retaining Townsend as a rookie if he isn't picked up by another club.
The Swans are considering Townsend as a delisted free agent .......
Richmond will delist Townsend, along with forward/ruck Mabior Chol, but have committed to drafting both players back on to the rookie list if other clubs don't pick them up. They could be signed as either delisted free agents or selected in the draft.
If the Swans go ahead and sign Townsend as a free agent - an outcome that is merely under consideration - they plan to use him as a forward, adding depth and experience to a forward line that, aside from champion Lance Franklin, is largely inexperienced.
But Richmond have guaranteed Townsend and Chol places on the club's rookie list.
Richmond would save a small amount of space in the club's salary cap by delisting Townsend and then placing him on the rookie list.

I’d love to have heard late 2017 which of the coaches came up with the idea to utilise a limited inside midfielder in the forward line. I understand the position opened up when Caddy got injured & Towner was the seemingly the most similar type but it was still a ballsy & fortuitous call that went some way towards us winning our first flag for 37 years. Towner exceeded all expectations. He was brilliant for a time. We will forever be in his debt & I doubt he’ll ever have to buy another beer in his life such will be the shouts from Tiger supporters.
Sliding doors moment right there!

Tigers of Old said:
I’d love to have heard late 2017 which of the coaches came up with the idea to utilise a limited inside midfielder in the forward line.

We have some pretty astute judges on this site, Oldie.

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
Townsend? I've seen him mark and goal a bit in the VFL and wonder if he couldn't have a crack at whatever Lloyd's supposed to be doing - plus hurting the oppo in the clinches.

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
Could Townsend be used to negate (and hurt) a running back while offering an alternative marking target?

I've seen him take a few grabs when slipping forward; he might be a more hurtful marking and forward defence option than Lloyd or Lennon.

Tigers of Old said:
I’d love to have heard late 2017 which of the coaches came up with the idea to utilise a limited inside midfielder in the forward line. I understand the position opened up when Caddy got injured & Towner was the seemingly the most similar type but it was still a ballsy & fortuitous call that went some way towards us winning our first flag for 37 years. Towner exceeded all expectations. He was brilliant for a time. We will forever be in his debt & I doubt he’ll ever have to buy another beer in his life such will be the shouts from Tiger supporters.
Sliding doors moment right there!
I think Towner spoke to either McCrae or Leppa ( for memory) mid 2017 of playing forward because there was too much competition in the midfield

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
We have some pretty astute judges on this site, Oldie.

:hihi Nice work TBH.

Mr Brightside said:
I think Towner spoke to either McCrae or Leppa ( for memory) mid 2017 of playing forward because there was too much competition in the midfield

Think you're right. Still had to pick him though. His form was exceptional leading in.

I reckon the offer to rookie Towner is a sentimental one and maybe some reward for his efforts in our successful finals campaign.

Remove those spectacular 7 or 8 weeks and his career doesn't warrant remaining on the list.

Baloo said:
I reckon the offer to rookie Towner is a sentimental one and maybe some reward for his efforts in our successful finals campaign.

Remove those spectacular 7 or 8 weeks and his career doesn't warrant remaining on the list.

Agree right place right time, all fell into place ( including dead eyed *smile* accuracy), has a premiership medal and good luck to him.

Baloo said:

I actually thought he'd been just about slated for delisting the year we won the flag. The Premiership rightly bought him another year.

Tigers of Old said:
I actually thought he'd been just about slated for delisting the year we won the flag. The Premiership rightly bought him another year.

By all accounts he was. Had already started looking for a trade to start in 2018. Caddy going down changed Towner's life, and probably ours, forever.