Jacob Townsend | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jacob Townsend

Don't underestimate the loyalty this club shows its players now - those who put all on the line for the team. Towner is a weapon, very handy at VFL or AFL level, even if only for certain opponents. It's his impact on the other forwards as documented by others on here. The club knows this and appreciate his qualities IMHO.

I think he will be back ... like The Terminator.

Disappointing news, I thought he might have been a chance to play a defensive role on opposition’s best intercept marker like he did so well last year. I would have liked to see him line up on Sicily...

BrisTiger24 said:
Feel sorry for the bloke but he lived out a fantasy last year. Does anyone expect him to be on the list next year? He seems too one dimensional and if we get Lynch, the tall forward spot will be spoken for

I feel sorry for Mathew Richardson. I feel wrapped for Towner. He can die happy as a RFC premiership player. All about perspective.
Is he a valuable role player moving forward? I'd say definitely. You don't contribute to finals success like he did by fluke. Don't let him go unless you've got someone definitely better and no one worse. He's got to be in front of Miles, Lloyd etc because he's performed in September at the G.

Can't say it isn't line ball whether he gets a contract or not. It will depend a lot on movements and whether coaching staff make a decision on younger players.

I'm also one who would have been ok with Townsend as an in as a defensive forward. Don't think it was going to happen though but I would have been ok with it. The idea of Sissily or McGovern spending the afternoon with Townsend's elbow in their sternum makes me smile.

Pfffft broken leg, we are talking about Towner here, haven’t people heard of elastoplast, I’ll be shocked if Towner doesn’t play Saturday night

Bill James said:
In 2018 when Towner plays

Jack, George, Martin and Caddy average 2 goals and 250m gained better.

The team averages 7 more clearances presumably because Martin and Caddy spend more time up the ground.

Was hoping he would replace one of Houli, Ellis or Conca, no loss in metres and infinite increase in fear factor.
You make really great points and I would love to see a forward line of Jack, Lynch, Caddy, Townsend, Butler and Castagna with Rioli and Higgins floating through the midfield/forward line

Off to Saints according to Damien Barrett.

http://aflnation.com.au/2018/10/01/townsend-set-to-depart-tigers-with-two-teams-in-the-mix/

It'd be a shame to lose him, but I'll be happy just to see him playing senior AFL next year.

3rd round pick if we're lucky, but I reckon he's most likely to jag us a 4th round.

Good luck to him if he goes.

So reportedly we are going to lose miles, c.ellis, Townsend, Conca, Stengle and possibly Lloyd and BEllis. Whilst I’m not against any of these blokes going elsewhere, I’m hoping we are set to get some players in because our depth will be ultra thin otherwise.

In fairness, with the acquisition of Lynch and the development of players like Balta the prospect of Townsend playing a lot of senior footy at the tigers is very slim indeed.

It might just be that the tigers aren't going to stand in his way if he can get a regular senior gig at the Saints.

tha8ball said:
So reportedly we are going to lose miles, c.ellis, Townsend, Conca, Stengle and possibly Lloyd and BEllis. Whilst I’m not against any of these blokes going elsewhere, I’m hoping we are set to get some players in because our depth will be ultra thin otherwise.

Who will we add to our list of bargain A grade depth players in Matt Thomas, Ricky Petterd, Brad Miller, Todd Banfield, Aaron Edwards, Taylor Hunt, Sam Lonergan this off season?

tha8ball said:

I reckon the last two will stay. I'm hearing that Lloydy wants to remain a Tiger.

Tigertool said:
It'd be a shame to lose him, but I'll be happy just to see him playing senior AFL next year.

I'll be sad to see him leave too.

I bet there will be a lot of old Tiger teammates not happy to see him playing senior AFL, they all know how hard he hits.

If he does go, he deserves a candlelight ritual from all tiger supporters down at puntroad one balmy evening.

He was a ripper.
Will always be tiger premiership player.
Those last weeks if 2017 were crucial in us winning the flag.
My favourite memory will be the absolute bone jarring hit on whatshisface from Melbourne.

I doubt hes a good fit for the Saints they are already slow enough.

Was seen talking to Grubby Allan also.

Id be happy for Jacob to be a Tiger in 2019, with the loss of others.

Lynch has pushed him out of contention now and he isnt really a midfielder, there was a niche role for him in 2017 he filled it brilliantly, but it looks like there will be a change in the way the Tigers go about things in 2019.