Jacob Townsend | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jacob Townsend

craig said:
Higlett is the wild card and at this stage i cant see him going out of the side.

He does indeed get up into the middle now with his extra run and is a ball winner, but if needed he can also stay forward as the 3rd amigo if required.

He offers more flexibility to the side and is a player that didnt look like he would be responsible for knocking a Premiership player out of the side but he pretty much has done just that.

Also has been responsible for pushing Lloydy back another spot in the batting order.

If Butler was fit and playing i still think Higlett would be in the side.

Which begs the question, if Butler came in this week, and who goes out?

St Kevin said:
I think Townsend's value to the team has been a little overstated. Had big games against the Saints and Dockers and then contributed in the finals, but hardly dominated.

Higgins offers more in terms of being able to pinch hit in the midfield. I think if we have Graham, Prestia and Conca all in, we'll see Dusty play a lot more forward come finals.
He ragdolled that overrated muppet from Melbourne in the GF. In my eyes he never has to justify his spot gain. LL

DirtyDogTiger said:
Nor do I

As far as I’m concerned our best 22 played the finals last year and we’ve got shorty Conca Higgins & Lloyd up our sleeve for depth.

There's no way Short isn't in our best 22 at the moment.
You can't put them on pedestals just because they played in the finals a year ago.

tha8ball said:
With Houli returning and Shorts excellent form - I think Ellis would be the most concerned.

Ellis or KMac imo.

For some reason I'm skeptical of Houli coming back in after a half of VFL. He's coming from a long way back.

tigerlove said:
Which begs the question, if Butler came in this week, and who goes out?
Excellent question and good position to be in. His ankle injury must have been more serious than just a standard sprain seeing as he injured it in the first quarter on July 6. Perhaps by playing out the game he made it worse hence the longer recovery.

HR said:
He ragdolled that overrated muppet from Melbourne in the GF. In my eyes he never has to justify his spot gain. LL

Of course he has to justify his spot again. To stay on top you have to continually tinker and change.

A game where he would tear it apart they drop him.
Hardwick always talks about 'playing your roll' thats excatly what townsend has been doing.
Not happy....

tigerlove said:
Of course he has to justify his spot again. To stay on top you have to continually tinker and change.
Yes I know :spin. I just love thinking about the look on scaredy pants face. I'm pretty sure that kid will never fully recover.

zippadeee said:
Hardwick always talks about 'playing your roll' thats excatly what townsend has been doing.
Not happy....

That includes kicking goals not just pressure and tackling.

daniel30 said:
That includes kicking goals not just pressure and tackling.

He's not a high pressure act player anyway. Last game for example he had the lowest of all the forwards including Reiwoldt. The week before he had just 19, one of the lowest in the team. He's just too slow to provide the manic pressure we thrive on. So if he's not also kicking his fair share of goals he becomes a liability.

think we have it right at selection.

obvioulsy nank comes back in next week.
but yes who is out for Butler in 2 weeks???

b.ellis and MciNtiosh must stay in i believe fot those saying they are close to being dropped.

Cant see Towner in finals, last few hes just been OK.
Wouldnt be upset if he was though.

Towner our puts more responsibility back on to Caddy.
Hopefully Cads can capture early season form

zippadeee said:
Not happy....

Deserved to be dropped.

Lloyd the unlucky one.

DirtyDogTiger said:
Nor do I

As far as I’m concerned our best 22 played the finals last year and we’ve got shorty Conca Higgins & Lloyd up our sleeve for depth.

Shorty not done enough to get into best 22. Tough marker.

I get that Towner is on the outer but...lets get serious - its finals time. I was playing with the ladder predictor and like everyone else I reckon, I keep getting WC on GF day.

So why the hell are we playing Liam Baker in front of Townsend. And before everyone starts rabbiting on about development and getting games into kids do we really want to play Baker on McGovern on Grand Final day or do we want Townsend to do his nullifying and blocking role on the intercept mark king of the competition. Every other coach has played ladder predictor - Hardwick has to do it or at the very least get Mrs Hardwick on the case.

If the answer is yes we do then we need to get games into Towner now and have him up again for the final series because "the answer" to that last forward position sure as hell isn't Baker or Moore, not in 2018 anyway.

This week was a chance to test possibles. Instead from the selection they've gone for full strength of those available. Probably safe to say Towner isn't in the frame for a finals gig unless we have a few injuries

Baloo said:
This week was a chance to test possibles. Instead from the selection they've gone for full strength of those available. Probably safe to say Towner isn't in the frame for a finals gig unless we have a few injuries

Hes a victim of the need for some foot speed also, hence Baker included.

But Townser is not in the frame right now.

Loyd, Baker and Conca are ahead of him, not to mention Lambo, Cotch, Dave and Dion.

Jacobs up against it now, two will likely miss from last September, possibly 3 if Conca makes it back and impresses.