Jacob Townsend | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jacob Townsend

CarnTheTiges said:
We say Townsend needs a final to dominate, but he didn't really. He played well and he was a part of our winning side, but he didn't get that many possessions, nor did he dominate on the scoreboard, his 2 big scores that made everyone sit up and take notice of him were against Freo and the Saints, neither team made finals and were both pretty well done by the time we played them late in the season. His next biggest score was against the Blues in Rd 1 of this year. He may very well do something against the Suns, but I wouldn't count on him replicating last years finals form.

Watch the second quarter of the granny.

We needed a spark and Towner provided several.

Yeah, easy,jr is a very astute football man. autistic almost.

last night in the car, on the way to play a game on Metricon coincidentally,

our conversation settled into its usual footy hypotheticals rhythm, as we crossed the border

'who would you take into a qualifying final, Towner or Moore?'

'Towner. No question' goes jr.

'I reckon I'd let Jack pick who plays the spot' I go

and jr retorts without pause 'He'd pick Towner. Moore takes space, Towner makes it. But Moore will turn out the better player'

I'd be very comfortable if easy,jr had a seat on the Match Committee.

BrisTiger24 said:
Of the 16 in 5 games, he kicked 11 in 2 in round 22 and 23. Take that out and his performance this year mirrors the rest of his games last year (ie finals)

No disagree, he is down on many significant stats this year on last year. If you look at when he gets his goals it's again the struggling teams, his highest tallies have been 6 Dockers, 5 Saints, 4 Blues, 3 Lions. He's only kicked 2 goals in his last 4 games, in fact only 3 scoring shots. Nowhere near enough. Thought he had a poor first final last year, I'd take what he gave in the semis and grand final but he's nowhere near that atm imo.

AFL and Foxfooty both rated Towner a 7 out of 10 for his performance in the GF and I don't disagree. That placed him as our 8/9th best player in that match, equal with Lambert.

easy said:

our conversation settled into its usual footy hypotheticals rhythm, as we crossed the border

and jr retorts without pause 'He'd pick Towner. Moore takes space, Towner makes it. But Moore will turn out the better player'

good stuff

easy said:

Pretty good summation by the lad.

For me needs to hit the scoreboard to not just pressure and tackling or his not doing his job.Hasn't done that much this season at all.

daniel30 said:
For me needs to hit the scoreboard to not just pressure and tackling or his not doing his job.Hasn't done that much this season at all.

Tend to agree.
Towner is trying to team compete, but is still getting opportunities to kick goals and is fluffing them.
Kick them and he stays.

Best way to take the heat off Jack is for Towner to kick his own goals and make the defenders respect him.
Having said that we seem to be bombing long into the forward line and Towner is great at bringing the ball to ground.
Think Towner is warming Lynch's possie who will get the attention and still take the grabs.

With Prestia back and once Graham is back in, it pushes Caddy to play more forward line. I think it then becomes a competition for the spot between Caddy and Townsend (both almost the same size) as having them both in the side slows our forward line considerably, and I'd choose Caddy every time. Subject to further injuries it is going to be very interesting to see what the Tigers do.

tigerlove said:
With Prestia back and once Graham is back in, it pushes Caddy to play more forward line. I think it then becomes a competition for the spot between Caddy and Townsend (both almost the same size) as having them both in the side slows our forward line considerably, and I'd choose Caddy every time. Subject to further injuries it is going to be very interesting to see what the Tigers do.
Agree here. Towner rode a wave last year.

I don't get the Caddy or Towner discussion. Both played in the finals.

I get it that Towner isn't playing to the same standard but I'm expecting him to impose himself over coming games.

It's not all about how many goals he kicks. It's also about goal assists, creating space for Jack, and snapping a few opposition backmen in half (that tackle on Crouch in the GF comes to mind).

Quickdraw said:

I get it that Towner isn't playing to the same standard but I'm expecting him to impose himself over coming games.

It's not all about how many goals he kicks. It's also about goal assists, creating space for Jack, and snapping a few opposition backmen in half (that tackle on Crouch in the GF comes to mind).

Nor do I

As far as I’m concerned our best 22 played the finals last year and we’ve got shorty Conca Higgins & Lloyd up our sleeve for depth.

Quickdraw said:

Maybe you get it now. Townsend dropped. I know they both played in last year's final but we have a better more flexible setup now. In effect Higgins has taken his spot and with Butler to also come back there's no room for Townsend and two similar type players in Caddy and Townsend roaming the forward line. Caddy is a far superior player. The honeymoon is over for Townsend, and he was always going to be battling for his place this year just like he had to last year.

I think Townsend's value to the team has been a little overstated. Had big games against the Saints and Dockers and then contributed in the finals, but hardly dominated.

Higgins offers more in terms of being able to pinch hit in the midfield. I think if we have Graham, Prestia and Conca all in, we'll see Dusty play a lot more forward come finals.

Quickdraw said:
snapping a few opposition backmen in half (that tackle on Crouch in the GF comes to mind).

I like Towner and note in the last few games he has sorted out a fair number of high profile opposition players with his tackling but we need a little more guile ATM to get us up to the GF heights of last season

tigerlove said:
Maybe you get it now. Townsend dropped. I know they both played in last year's final but we have a better more flexible setup now. In effect Higgins has taken his spot and with Butler to also come back there's no room for Townsend and two similar type players in Caddy and Townsend roaming the forward line. Caddy is a far superior player. The honeymoon is over for Townsend, and he was always going to be battling for his place this year just like he had to last year.
I'm fine with Towner being dropped TL, particularly when we look at this week's ins. I just didn't get the whole Caddy v Towner thing.

Quickdraw said:
I'm fine with Towner being dropped TL, particularly when we look at this week's ins. I just didn't get the whole Caddy v Towner thing.

Same height and weight, strong bodied but both relative slow, and both pretty good marks, to me they are more alike in attributes than almost any other two players. Difference is Caddy can play midfield and is a superior player overall. Our forward line is basically 3 quick high pressuring smalls, reiwoldt, Caddy type and resting midfider. Difficult to fit Townsend in when we have a full list to choose from.

St Kevin said:
Higgins offers more in terms of being able to pinch hit in the midfield. I think if we have Graham, Prestia and Conca all in, we'll see Dusty play a lot more forward come finals.

Higlett is the wild card and at this stage i cant see him going out of the side.

He does indeed get up into the middle now with his extra run and is a ball winner, but if needed he can also stay forward as the 3rd amigo if required.

He offers more flexibility to the side and is a player that didnt look like he would be responsible for knocking a Premiership player out of the side but he pretty much has done just that.

Also has been responsible for pushing Lloydy back another spot in the batting order.

If Butler was fit and playing i still think Higlett would be in the side.