Jacob Townsend | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jacob Townsend

Baloo said:
If there is no betting market for it, it's not sport.
If the result is manufactured and prearranged, it's not sport.

Entertaining, but not sport.

Ha ha. Never thought I'd have to say this to you Balooga, but lighten up mate, sheesh.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

KnightersRevenge said:
Ha ha. Never thought I'd have to say this to you Balooga, but lighten up mate, sheesh.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I'm not too uptight about. But I've played a bit of rugby and spear tackle has a nasty dirty conotation to it.

The spear tackle is a real, specific rugby league and union tackle, outlawed in the 80s. Its when you go low and use a players momentum to lift and upend them and then drive them head first into the ground like a spear.

tigersnake said:
The spear tackle is a real, specific rugby league and union tackle, outlawed in the 80s. Its when you go low and use a players momentum to lift and upend them and then drive them head first into the ground like a spear.

Yes, but Bill Goldberg, the most famous exponent in Sports Entertainment was an NFL (maybe even the Green Bay Packers?) player and was using the NFL style spear tackle. The outlawed Rugby tackle involves 2 motions to specifically tip the player beyond the horizontal which risks head injuries. The NFL tackle has been around just as long and is a legitimate use of the term "spear" to accurately describe what J_Town is doing.

KnightersRevenge said:
Yes, but Bill Goldberg, the most famous exponent in Sports Entertainment was an NFL (maybe even the Green Bay Packers?) player and was using the NFL style spear tackle. The outlawed Rugby tackle involves 2 motions to specifically tip the player beyond the horizontal which risks head injuries. The NFL tackle has been around just as long and is a legitimate use of the term "spear" to accurately describe what J_Town is doing.

wasn't aware of the american one. The NRL one is legendary here.

Reactions: 1 user
KnightersRevenge said:
The NFL tackle has been around just as long and is a legitimate use of the term "spear" to accurately describe what J_Town is doing.

Legitimate in the US sure.

You been hitting the poitin early KR?

KnightersRevenge said:
Nah. I just love what J_Town is doing and I love the link to Goldberg, not the rugby one.

You’re on the money KR, hubcap just going round in circles.

MD Jazz said:
You’re on the money KR, hubcap just going round in circles.

Well that's one question answered. Who were you before Lazarus?

turk-d-tiger said:
Townsend did his Job and put Howe out of the game , His little push to hunch howe over so Moore's knee gets him flush was just perfect timing

He's got to be careful. As effective as that was in taking Howe out, it wasn't far off tunneling. I wouldn't do so far as to say he tunneled but def put Howe off balance. The contact then with Grundy's knee was the unlucky part that saves him.
It was pretty dangerous. If it was Jack on the receiving end of something like that from a defender we'd hate it.

Done some good work behind play. See him a few time blocking players for Jack to go for the mark.

Watch the first goal of the last qtr to Jack, it's bone crusher who sets it up.
He sneezes on Moore and then Jack is free to take uncontested mark in the goal square.

zippadeee said:
Watch the first goal of the last qtr to Jack, it's bone crusher who sets it up.
He sneezes on Moore and then Jack is free to take uncontested mark in the goal square.

Rioli’s goal in the last was also set up by a Tonswned block

Tigers of Old said:
He's got to be careful. As effective as that was in taking Howe out, it wasn't far off tunneling. I wouldn't do so far as to say he tunneled but def put Howe off balance. The contact then with Grundy's knee was the unlucky part that saves him.
It was pretty dangerous. If it was Jack on the receiving end of something like that from a defender we'd hate it.
I don't see it that way. He was in a contest, he was watching the ball and there was contact. That happens every game heaps. Howe was unlucky, that's all and there was no free kick because there wasn't one.

Tigers of Old said:

Are you serious? A bloke that has jumped over and on blokes for the last 10 years gets knocked out by his own teammate and all of sudden its bone crusher fault. No way.
Flk him.
They are applauding Varcoe's bump that broken Prestias ribs.

Tigers of Old said:
Geez ToOheys. Howe wasn't airborne n Towner didn't go in under him so definitely no tunneling, 'twas just a bit of a nudge within a pack, happens a hundred times a weekend. Also believe it was Moore coming the other way into the contest with the protective knee up that got Howe, not Grundypants. Still friendly fire but the blond with the alice, not the bogan with the pony.