Jacob Townsend | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jacob Townsend

Yep that was poor.

I don't blame Townsend. Where was the talk even a shepherd?

I thought Towner did well.

Would play him again against the Cats against Touhy

tha8ball said:
There was none. Ellis just strolls past him.

The kick from jack caused it all. Was behind him when he was running forward with clear space. Jack gets the kick right and he’s 10m clear.

Townsend and Seymour have been vying for the same position all year. They play it differently. Seymour is a better aerial threat. So he can divide the defence. Draw significant opponents if he leads in a direction away from Jack. And to more dangerous areas.

Towner has to lead, by and large to softer spots if he is to mark. Wider and/or higher. Leaving aside the odd very effective ambush. But in the main he blocks. And he does that very well.

In 2018 Towner lost his big weapon - his dead eye. And left him vulnerable to replacement. Seymour. And we had to try Seymour anyway and he may kick the door down and force his way back in.

Here's a thought. Towner interrupts the defence best by staying in formation and blocking. Seymour interrupts it best by dividing it. That's what Tom Lynch would do best.

Townsend did his Job and put Howe out of the game , His little push to hunch howe over so Moore's knee gets him flush was just perfect timing

Dyer'ere said:
Townsend and Seymour have been vying for the same position all year. They play it differently. Seymour is a better aerial threat. So he can divide the defence. Draw significant opponents if he leads in a direction away from Jack. And to more dangerous areas.

Towner has to lead, by and large to softer spots if he is to mark. Wider and/or higher. Leaving aside the odd very effective ambush. But in the main he blocks. And he does that very well.

In 2018 Towner lost his big weapon - his dead eye. And left him vulnerable to replacement. Seymour. And we had to try Seymour anyway and he may kick the door down and force his way back in.

Here's a thought. Towner interrupts the defence best by staying in formation and blocking. Seymour interrupts it best by dividing it. That's what Tom Lynch would do best.

Good obs Jack. It was a subtle block on Moore by Towner that set Jack up in the last at the top of the square. And the effective ambush is exactly what he does to create marks. He's got strong hands.

I'm a fan of both, Towner the more reliable, Seymour with greater upside.

Just to be pedantic, Towner doesn't spear tackle. A spear is more akin to dropping a player from some height, normally on their head or shoulder.

Towner drives into the tackle and it's a full body slam. He doesn't let go of the player in any way shape or form.

I like Towner's game yesterday. Tackled hard, restricted the influence of opposition backs, kicked a goal, gave two away, took marks.

He did land a couple yesterday, often you miss them as he flashes through taking a body with him.

I admit I do have a chuckle when he does it as it always makes me think of the great Bobby Boucher from the Louisiana Mud Dogs ;D

Baloo said:
Just to be pedantic, Towner doesn't spear tackle. A spear is more akin to dropping a player from some height, normally on their head or shoulder.

Towner drives into the tackle and it's a full body slam. He doesn't let go of the player in any way shape or form.
What you are referring to is a Rugby spear tackle, what Towner does is the Gridiron/WWE style spear tackle!

bowden4president said:
What you are referring to is a Rugby spear tackle, what Towner does is the Gridiron/WWE style spear tackle!

From wikipedia

A spear tackle is a tackle in rugby union, rugby league and Australian rules football in which a player lifts another player into the air and drops them such that they land on their back, head or neck.

bowden4president said:

Yup. Posted it many times here because I just love that J_Town does it. It IS a spear tackle:

tenor.gif

KnightersRevenge said:
Yup. Posted it many times here because I just love that J_Town does it. It IS a spear tackle:

tenor.gif

In sport, it's not considered a spear tackle.

Baloo said:
From wikipedia

A spear tackle is a tackle in rugby union, rugby league and Australian rules football in which a player lifts another player into the air and drops them such that they land on their back, head or neck.
Yep. Towner doesn't spear players, he drives shoulder through the guts n folds them in half. That Saints player tried similar on Lamblett last week n got it wrong, too much outstretched arm n no shoulder, near on popped the bloody thing out of it's socket.
Towner's from around Finley area isn't he? Simply using a rugby type body hit, works brilliantly in Aussie rules because we play so open.

KnightersRevenge said:
In "Sports Entertainment" (and I mean what else is J_Town doing but bringing the entertainment factor?) it most certainly IS a spear tackle.

If there is no betting market for it, it's not sport.
If the result is manufactured and prearranged, it's not sport.

Entertaining, but not sport.

KnightersRevenge said:
In "Sports Entertainment" (and I mean what else is J_Town doing but bringing the entertainment factor?) it most certainly IS a spear tackle.
stick with spear tackle! It’s a perfect description. I mean, in a fight you will try to drive a spear through your opponent, not pick it up, turn it over and drive it in the ground! Makes no sense at all ;D