Jacob Townsend | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jacob Townsend

Probably not one of his better games but did OK for the bulk of the match so I am satisfied. My bet that their are few opposition layers who don't quake in their boots when Towner is running full tilt towards them

Baron Samedi said:
Just adds something.

Yep it’s certainly not something that you will see on the stat sheet. I think we all need to take a real look at the expectations of Townsend. In his first two games- the first against an horrendous freo side and the second - an average saints side, Towner booted 6 and 5 goals. I feel like little to no time had been put into him for those games and perhaps it was a pure purple patch - they can happen. After those two games his stats in the finals read:
3 touches and 2 goals
10 touches and 1 goal
8 touches and 2 goals.

Today he had 11 and 1.

If people are expecting 3,4,5 goal games - I think you might be stretching it. People saying he is slow - well guess what - he always has been!

Towner brings a fear factor. He slaps in and crunches blokes with bumps in packs. I reckon jack loves having him there. You won’t see it on the stat sheet, but if you have ever played footy you will know that stuff is vital. It wears you down and makes you reconsider entering an area where that player is headed.

There is certainly something about having him in the side that I like - and I feel the teams likes. Can he hold it for the remainder of the season?? Time will tell I guess.

mad_tiggy911 said:
Who did he nail near the punt road end today? I felt it in the nose bleeds.

The J_Town spear tackle is the new don't argue. He lines it up in most games. He nearly poleaxed someone else but had the wherewithal to pull out when his target hot-potatoed that *smile* and avoided a bone-cruncher. A good effort and great awareness by J_Town to be able to leave a round in the chamber when he was locked and loaded.

I love having Towner in the side.

I love it

theres the anticipation whenever he's in the picture, hoping he folds someone in half.

tigerlove said:
Other than that shocking awareness in the 3rd that turned a certain goal for us into a turnover and goal for them, thought he played his role ok.

If he played that right and if Dash Kam hit him up when alone could have finished with three. Plays again for mine.

Commentators called him a few times for helping put some little touches on Moore that gave Jack a free run at the mark and for e.g. set up the first goal in the last.

Zero stats for that.

Check jacks first goal of the last term. Towner just gives Moore a little clip as he is trying to get to jack. Just gives jack a split second on him. Not sure Cal Moore has this stuff in his game yet. Jack went straight to Townsend to acknowledge him.

easy said:
I love having Towner in the side.

I love it

theres the anticipation whenever he's in the picture, hoping he folds someone in half.

The J_Town Suitcase Maneuver! Reckon a still shot of Langon(?) might just deliver it.

I thought it was one of Towner better games, going to be a tough call getting the right balance of the forward half with Butler to come back in as well as Moore continuing to play very well at VFL level

Mr Brightside said:
I thought it was one of Towner better games, going to be a tough call getting the right balance of the forward half with Butler to come back in as well as Moore continuing to play very well at VFL level

I thought he was good. showed a deft touch; was in the thick of the pack blocking Howe onto Moores knee.

I cant imagine the MC feeling any other way than like we do with Towner.

he will be there in Sept again.

I think the other VFL guys we've used were really just absorbing some punishment in the long game.

shorty, higlet, towner, conca are all locks if fit IMHO (shorty could be AA)

leaving zero space. It could be marginally fit blokes like Bachar and Geezer missing out?

easy said:
I thought he was good. showed a deft touch; was in the thick of the pack blocking Howe onto Moores knee.

I cant imagine the MC feeling any other way than like we do with Towner.

he will be there in Sept again.

I think the other VFL guys we've used were really just absorbing some punishment in the long game.

shorty, higlet, towner, conca are all locks if fit IMHO (shorty could be AA)

leaving zero space. It could be marginally fit blokes like Bachar and Geezer missing out?
Has a VFL grand final been won by over a 100 points ?

Mr Brightside said:
Has a VFL grand final been won by over a 100 points ?

Ive counted well over ten thousand unhatched chickens this weekend Mr.B,

but I think we are in a position to say, that last years prelim sunday at Etihad was a dress rehearsal for 2018.

Im bringing a needle and thread and an offering to be ceremonially stitched on The Dusty Duffel

How many body bags for required? , thats the only way you can measure his game.
He destroys packs, if he gets you with a tackle you need a week to recover.
Overall a good game.
Only blemish is when he played on. Where was the talk around him??