Jacob Townsend | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jacob Townsend

He was in everything in the first quarter. Fair to say that Majak was too big for him.

In fact thought their defense got on top of our forwards quite nicely for the majority of the day with the exception being Caddy of course.

Despite his sometimes poor kicking (constant in front of goal) and general bungling I thought Towner did some of the best things he's ever done on a football ground today. Early on his use and the way he made space was occasionally brilliant. It went to *smile* from there but a below-average game from Towner was strangely promising at times.

Dyer'ere said:
Despite his sometimes poor kicking (constant in front of goal) and general bungling I thought Towner did some of the best things he's ever done on a football ground today. Early on his use and the way he made space was occasionally brilliant. It went to sh!t from there but a below-average game from Towner was strangely promising at times.

thought exactly the same thing

craig said:
Majak is a massive unit

So for Townsend to do his job which is stop Majak marking and bring the ball to ground is really hard. Didn't matter anyway. Even when he did Thompson and Tarrant cleaned up our preferred chaos ball a treat.

it's a worry when your very good pick-up, a hybrid mid-forward, kicks far more goals than four designated forwards combined: Townsend, Butler, Castagna and Higgins.

BillyJean17 said:
What’s happened to his kicking , was his strong suit , needs to get it back, I agree did appear to be a lot busier than usual

His torps from the boundary after the end-of-quarter siren have improved. He didn't hit the man on the mark this time. :D

JimJessTorp said:
His torps from the boundary after the end-of-quarter siren have improved. He didn't hit the man on the mark this time. :D

True!
Wont be too long before he keeps it in play!

BillyJean17 said:
What’s happened to his kicking , was his strong suit , needs to get it back, I agree did appear to be a lot busier than usual

His kicking has just gone back to what his norm was in the VFL for years. I could not believe his purple patch where he couldn't miss. Very vulnerable to demotion in the not too distant future I reckon.

caesar said:
Very vulnerable to demotion in the not too distant future I reckon.

not this week. west coast are one of the better teams for intercept marks. he'll be needed to drag a McGovern type player away from the contests

caesar said:
His kicking has just gone back to what his norm was in the VFL for years. I could not believe his purple patch where he couldn't miss. Very vulnerable to demotion in the not too distant future I reckon.

I agree. With the likes of Stengle and Rioli sniffing for a spot, Towsend will need to lift his game a little. Had 7 turnovers despite only 11 disposals and only was in 2 score involvements. Defensively he was ok. I know they're not exactly like for like players but for balance you might want to weigh up a pure defensive forward spot for a creative, fast, high pressure small player.

McGovern will often ignore him, knowing JR is the greater danger, and Caddy. Townsend will be no match for him in the air anyway. This really is the game to bring in that extra tall. Looks like Soldo will have to come in for Nank. He will be double-teamed by two strong ruckmen!

Have a sneaky suspicion they might pick Balta for his debut; just coincidental that profile article with Leppa pumping him up this week on the website? It seems that Chol will never be ready. Possibly just lacks the full package. Balta appears the best prospect even though youngest of our VFL talls. So Balts in for Towno or better still, Higgins or Butler.

leon said:
Have a sneaky suspicion they might pick Balta for his debut;

Can't see it. He's clearly not ready based on VFL games even though some great cameo highlights thus far. They've been playing him back a lot as well, so just part of his way into his learning program imo.

tigerlove said:
I agree. With the likes of Stengle and Rioli sniffing for a spot, Towsend will need to lift his game a little. Had 7 turnovers despite only 11 disposals and only was in 2 score involvements. Defensively he was ok. I know they're not exactly like for like players but for balance you might want to weigh up a pure defensive forward spot for a creative, fast, high pressure small player.

Also dropped two really strong attempted marks. Jumped well, grabbed but failed to hold them. Disappointing.

tigerlove said:
Can't see it. He's clearly not ready based on VFL games even though some great cameo highlights thus far. They've been playing him back a lot as well, so just part of his way into his learning program imo.

Yes, but as Leppa repeated, they're preparing him to be a swing-man. What about just to track and compete with McGovern? Need someone to take the extreme pressure off Jack R. too. Should be Chol's opportunity but just isn't up to it still, it appears.

I think we will lose if Wet Toast dominate CB clearances and stoppages. People are under-rating their mids who are much improved; thinking that we will just win the takeaways. They will dominate aerial marking already. If we go in so small again, easy pickings. Norf, also a tall, strong-bodied side, should have beaten us if the usually reliable BB had have converted his generous umpires' gifts. I believe we desperately need both Soldo and another tall. (Assuming dry weather)

leon said:
Have a sneaky suspicion they might pick Balta for his debut; just coincidental that profile article with Leppa pumping him up this week on the website?

That used to be the case but the website pump-up hasn't been a reliable selection clue this year.

If anyone it would be Moore coming in (he's next in seniority) although his form has dropped off a touch in the past 2-3 weeks, and the Eagles are a tough ask for a kid just trying to make his way up from VFL. I expect Towner gets one more week unless he's sore (see below).

caesar said:
His kicking has just gone back to what his norm was in the VFL for years.

His set shots at training last Friday were routinely deplorable: out on the full, not making the distance etc. Something's not right. If sore maybe he has a rest.

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
That used to be the case but the website pump-up hasn't been a reliable selection clue this year.

If anyone it would be Moore coming in (he's next in seniority) although his form has dropped off a touch in the past 2-3 weeks, and the Eagles are a tough ask for a kid just trying to make his way up from VFL. I expect Towner gets one more week unless he's sore (see below).

His set shots at training last Friday were routinely deplorable: out on the full, not making the distance etc. Something's not right. If sore maybe he has a rest.

I know Balta is not ready but he has the body, the strength, skills and the attitude/confidence. Neither Moore or Chol appear to have these in place still. So, a long shot, but I think we will go down without another tall to spend some time forward.

Sounds like Townsend has a groin issue ... (most likely so does Dusty). Further reason to try someone else.