Jack Dyer Medal 2024 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Dyer Medal 2024

Not Shai's, maybe Liam's.
The first time they knew they're getting up there is when they win a medal. Both finished equal 5th so no certainty they were getting up at all.
Last thing they're thinking of is having a well prepared speech. As I said a very different situation.
Bottom line though Barrass is clearly a very good confident, public speaker. Not everyone is.

Nah not buying that mate.

They were both very good chances of finishing in and around the top 5.

You don't have to be polished, but it means having some notes and points ready to speak in front of many many hundred people at the event plus the thousands of times it will be played on the website. Not to mention the media run it got today.

It is about respecting the club, teammates (and supporters) that have given you a big lift-up in life in your final club event.

Barrass gets it. Liam and lesser extent Shai didn't.

Poor all round and shows our club and departing players in a poor light in comparison to say a West Coast.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
There is no defence for Shai and Baker’s pathetic “speeches”. They are well paid grown men. Not 14 year old school boys.

No one expects oration the ilk of JFK or Churchill but they need to be better than that. It seemed disrespectful to the club at their apparent last offical function. They probably didn’t mean to be disrespectful but a bit of effort would have been nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Poor all round and shows our club and departing players in a poor light in comparison to say a West Coast.
West Coast handled Barrass’ departure well no doubt.
Could Bakes & Shai have spoken better & thanked the club? Of course in a perfect world but at least they were there. Shai may still be here next year if a suitable trade isn’t reached.
Alternatively Bailey Smith & Josh Battle didn’t even attend their clubs B&F.
Players departing their clubs when it’s their choice is still an awkward situation because culturally in AFL the sport is still maturing in terms of player movement. Yze flagged this several times during the season. The process is awkward.
As player movement intensifies clubs need to communicate better with their members that player X is departing at season end & we will work out a trade (in this case draft picks) that best suits our club but until then they’re 100% committed. eg Rioli.
That’s the model for clubs to follow going forward. More transparency. The league overall needs to push this angle.
The best thing players can do is let their footy do the talking & deliver 100% to their clubs on field whilst they’re there.
Clubs also can also then recognise their achievements at functions like the B&F knowing full well they’re departing.
However the way the system is currently it’s all smoke & mirrors until the 11th hour which creates friction. Communication all round avoids awkward speeches & no shows. It also educates supporters as to reasons for leaving & gives us time to prepare & come to terms with it.

Perhaps more so the problem is that clubs currently don’t have enough power to trade players against their will & players hold too much of the whip hand which is where some of the friction is stemming from. It’s stuffing up club plans.

The AFL is still coming to terms with this cultural shift re player movement. Other competitions appear at least to be doing it better.

I don’t have all the answers because footy is still an emotional game & supporters are still being affronted by disloyalty but as the sport matures hopefully players & clubs do it far better than it’s done currently.

West Coast & Barrass are currently the exception. Credit to the way it was done.

PS: I’ve always said sportspeople are better seen not heard.

Reactions: 9 users
My last 2c. Never seen a footballer outdo Winston Churchill and I don't think I ever will.
The poor showing by Baker and the slightly off comments by O'Rourke, Dunne not speaking, etc reflect a bit of looseness going on atm. BandFs are no longer in house closed doors *smile* ups. It's like they barely knew this. Tighten a few screws Tiges it's not hard.
Oh yeah, and I thought the club was across this when they swiftly released statements about the departures, but in house it looks like it was all too hard lol.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm more worried about the speech of the coach who is staying, than the footballers who are leaving.

Too easy to sweep Yze's speech under the carpet. 'Not a great public speaker.'

It's not everything, but it is a big part of the job.

If you stand up in front of a group, and they leave the experience cringing, and feeling awkward.

Well, maybe it's not a surprise that we finished last this year.

Reactions: 1 users
Players departing their clubs when it’s their choice is still an awkward situation because culturally in AFL the sport is still maturing in terms of player movement. Yze flagged this several times during the season. The process is awkward.
As player movement intensifies clubs need to communicate better with their members that player X is departing at season end & we will work out a trade (in this case draft picks) that best suits our club but until then they’re 100% committed. eg Rioli.
That’s the model for clubs to follow going forward. More transparency. The league overall needs to push this angle.
The best thing players can do is let their footy do the talking & deliver 100% to their clubs on field whilst they’re there.
Clubs also can also then recognise their achievements at functions like the B&F knowing full well they’re departing.
However the way the system is currently it’s all smoke & mirrors until the 11th hour which creates friction. Communication all round avoids awkward speeches & no shows. It also educates supporters as to reasons for leaving & gives us time to prepare & come to terms with it.
150 years of footy n the sport is still maturing, guess they'll never grow up then.
The AFL is still coming to terms with this cultural shift re player movement. Other competitions appear at least to be doing it better.
Simple cure for the cultural issue. AFL needs to start treating the players as professional athletes not indentured servants.
West Coast & Barrass are currently the exception. Credit to the way it was done.
Yep. Wet Coke n Bareass handled it brilliantly. Our Prez clipping the players n the bog ordinary efforts at speeches by our blokes was rubbish by all concerned. Bit of respect, courtesy n recognition with a couple of notes to say thanks n goodbye from all concerned would have been nice.

I read the hype and watched the speeches,

and pretty much agree with both USER=751]@Leysy Days[/USER]. and @Tigers of Old

but nothing much to see, it was just a lets-get-it-over-with night.

Bakes was googled-eyed tanked, and pretty unprofessional.

On one hand, a very tough night socially to deal with and he prob tipped a few in as an anxiety medication

we've all done it, but we dont all get paid more than the PM.

(I reportedly give a pretty good speech, but exist in panic until it commences. I was so tanked by the time I gave my planned speech at MrsEZ's milestone birthday, my mouth moved but formed no words, and I just fell over and went to sleep - but most people reckoned it was the best speech they'd ever heard)

Poor form by bakes, and im pretty sure he woke up feeling stupid.

I suppose its why clubs play safe and tell departing players to stay away.

On Yze: hes no Martin Luther King, but I dont really care, as long as he reacts early and shuts down Kai Lohmann.

Hardwick recently just pulled out his speech from the Richmond 2016 file,

and inserted 'Suns'.

it was cynical :vomit footy banality at its best.

They are, at the end of the day, all just footballers.

In my opinion, D.Martin is the greatest orator the game has seen, followed closely by M.Pickett

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
I'm more worried about the speech of the coach who is staying, than the footballers who are leaving.

If you stand up in front of a group, and they leave the experience cringing, and feeling awkward.

its footy CT.

The greats; Hardwick, Clarkson, Matthews, Sheedy, Hafey,

say things like 'theres nothing more tigerish than a tiger'

or 'if it bleeds we can kill it', or 'we are one step from the summit'

and thats the best history shows. thats the greatest oratory hits.

None of 'em are going to win a Peace Prize.

I think Phil Cleary was the closest thing, and he used to say 'go out there and hit the *smile* in the back of the head every chance you get'

As a carpenter uses nails, the footy coach uses 2-bob banal violent metaphor and simile.

the trick is having 22 pretty gullible blokes who are better at footy than the other blokes, and believe all the *smile* you say and think its original

Last edited:
The Penrith Panthers in the NRL have half their team playing elsewhere next year. This weekend they’re in a Grand Final.

Will the AFL ever get close to this? Do we ever want it to?
Weird situation.

when Brandon Ellis went to Gold Coast, most on here wished him well and saw that he was securing a future for himself, a future, that Richmond were unable or unwilling to provide to him. He would always be a Richmond man.
I see that Rioli and Baker annd Bolton are doing exactly that - securing for themselves a financial security, another chapter in their playing careers and in their lives. Bakes speech was dreadful but does not define what he has brought to the club. Shai has never been a public speaker nor has Daniel, but who could forget their endeavours in securing our club three magnificent premierships. I still see them as Richmond men and wish them well and thank them for highs we have seen with them playing for our magnificent football club. Of course, it is with some sadness that I say goodbye but at the end of the day, footy is just a game and we should thank them for the contribution they have made.
the negativity being written about the speeches from the players, the president, the coach and even Sam Lane is disappointing but I get it. I live and breathe ‘yellow and black’ and hope it’s not too long in the wilderness before we are relevant again.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

He certainly needs to improve in this area. He has been markedly unimpressive to date. Hopefully will improve with experience although he is not a young man; he's been in the system a long time. He should be better at it than he is.

its footy CT.

The greats; Hardwick, Clarkson, Matthews, Sheedy, Hafey,

say things like 'theres nothing more tigerish than a tiger'

or 'if it bleeds we can kill it', or 'we are one step from the summit'

and thats the best history shows. thats the greatest oratory hits.

None of 'em are going to win a Peace Prize.

I think Phil Cleary was the closest thing, and he used to say 'go out there and hit the *smile* in the back of the head every chance you get'

As a carpenter uses nails, the footy coach uses 2-bob banal violent metaphor and simile.

the trick is having 22 pretty gullible blokes who are better at footy than the other blokes, and believe all the *smile* you say and think its original
Yabby Jeans' 1989 grand final half-time 'pay the price' man-and-his-shoes story was pretty good. So was Kanga Kennedy's 'Don't think! Don't hope! DO!'

Then of course there's this:

• Haha
Yabby Jeans' 1989 grand final half-time 'pay the price' man-and-his-shoes story was pretty good. So was Kanga Kennedy's 'Don't think! Don't hope! DO!'

Then of course there's this:

150 years of footy, 12 clubs, 20 games a year, 4 coaches speaches a week.

Roughly 150,000 senior coach orations,

And we remember and quote half a dozen pretty *smile* ones.

Pretty low strike rate,

Because they aint don watson, or winston churchhill,

Theyre old busted footy players

(See if you an find the transcript of my infamous Mr.Miagi speech, 3/4 time, under 14's preliminary final, 2011, 4 goals down .....my ruckman went out and did The Crane at the opening bounce of the 4th quarter, kicked the oppo ruckman in the *smile*, gave away a free and 50, and we only lost by 23 points)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
It might be a movie but it's perfection.

We weren't after perfection from Bakes and Co, we just wanted to know that it mattered to them.

And they couldn't deliver that. NGE. Not good enough.

150 years of footy, 12 clubs, 20 games a year, 4 coaches speaches a week.

Roughly 150,000 senior coach orations,

And we remember and quote half a dozen pretty *smile* ones.

Pretty low strike rate,

Because they aint don watson, or winston churchhill,

Theyre old busted footy players

(See if you an find the transcript of my infamous Mr.Miagi speech, 3/4 time, under 14's preliminary final, 2011, 4 goals down .....my ruckman went out and did The Crane at the opening bounce of the 4th quarter, kicked the oppo ruckman in the *smile*, gave away a free and 50, and we only lost by 23 points)
You can't go past Salty's 3/4 time speech in the 2020 granny.

"Happy to do 'em slowly!"

You'd crawl over broken glass after hearing that!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
It might be a movie but it's perfection.

We weren't after perfection from Bakes and Co, we just wanted to know that it mattered to them.

And they couldn't deliver that. NGE. Not good enough.

I get it, and id prefer better.

But i dont really care much at all.

Darcy Moore would have hired a string quartet, painted his face blue, and barrett would have ejaculated in his too-tight jeans and wrote (If you need the best person ever to walk the face of the earth, then call darcy moore) on a napkin

Who wants that?

Pissed at a farewell party is pretty authentic

I dont really care; they did heroics in two premiership campaigns, and then some

Best of luck fellas: Hello jagga

Last edited:
  • Dislike
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Yeah looks too nervous when he speaks. Just like the pressers. Hopefully time will heal that.
Toastmasters helped me a lot.
Great way to improve public speaking.
Once you do it the key thing really is to have your key messages clear and practise it before hand - i.e. no different to training how to kick a footy.
Yze had clearly not practised it o at a minimum tested it in front of someone else.
A skill he needs to grow. Hopefully he can get some constructive feedback.

Toastmasters helped me a lot.
Great way to improve public speaking.
Once you do it the key thing really is to have your key messages clear and practise it before hand - i.e. no different to training how to kick a footy.
Yze had clearly not practised it o at a minimum tested it in front of someone else.
A skill he needs to grow. Hopefully he can get some constructive feedback.
Dimma was the same in 1st year. It can be difficult presenting on stage in a formal function no matter how much you know the people. Have a look at retiring players on how nervous they get when announcing in front of their own teammates. Some people can do it and some can't. I reckon time will fix this.