Jack Dyer Medal 2024 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Dyer Medal 2024

Dimma was the same in 1st year. It can be difficult presenting on stage in a formal function no matter how much you know the people. Have a look at retiring players on how nervous they get when announcing in front of their own teammates. Some people can do it and some can't. I reckon time will fix this.

I would add,

when you're selling an incredible product, have a riveting story, your child has just married a good looking, kind hearted, sweetheart; when you've won,

speaking is pretty easy.

when your selling a piece of junk, a boring tale, an ugly union; when you've lost,

it is a very, very, difficult task.

we're all humans; and now dusty has officially retired a second time,

magic does not happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Yabby Jeans' 1989 grand final half-time 'pay the price' man-and-his-shoes story was pretty good. So was Kanga Kennedy's 'Don't think! Don't hope! DO!'

Then of course there's this:

Billy Connollys

'before ye judge a man, walk a mile in his shooz .......... ay, because then ye'll be a mile away from him ........ and ye have his shooz'

is one of my all time favs

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I would add,

when you're selling an incredible product, have a riveting story, your child has just married a good looking, kind hearted, sweetheart; when you've won,

speaking is pretty easy.

when your selling a piece of junk, a boring tale, an ugly union; when you've lost,

Spot on. It's always difficult to sell yourself to new people you meet early in time (just like starting a new job). Players warmed to Mini when Dimma left because they knew him for years and we can see he was comfortable when speaking, but with Ooze it's a stranger you have to get to know. He should be smart enough to know that as a head coach you're going to have to present yourself publicly a lot of times....good times and bad times....and once settled in should heal the nerves.

Reactions: 1 user
Spot on. It's always difficult to sell yourself to new people you meet early in time (just like starting a new job). Players warmed to Mini when Dimma left because they knew him for years and we can see he was comfortable when speaking, but with Ooze it's a stranger you have to get to know. He should be smart enough to know that as a head coach you're going to have to present yourself publicly a lot of times....good times and bad times....and once settled in should heal the nerves.

yep, if he rolled out Braveheart and beat his chest declaring himself The Alpha,

everyone would be going

'hows this *smile*?'

its gonna be a long few years.

I might log off, and back on in 2027.

everything has been said.

• Haha
when Brandon Ellis went to Gold Coast, most on here wished him well and saw that he was securing a future for himself, a future, that Richmond were unable or unwilling to provide to him. He would always be a Richmond man.
I see that Rioli and Baker annd Bolton are doing exactly that - securing for themselves a financial security, another chapter in their playing careers and in their lives. Bakes speech was dreadful but does not define what he has brought to the club. Shai has never been a public speaker nor has Daniel, but who could forget their endeavours in securing our club three magnificent premierships. I still see them as Richmond men and wish them well and thank them for highs we have seen with them playing for our magnificent football club. Of course, it is with some sadness that I say goodbye but at the end of the day, footy is just a game and we should thank them for the contribution they have made.
the negativity being written about the speeches from the players, the president, the coach and even Sam Lane is disappointing but I get it. I live and breathe ‘yellow and black’ and hope it’s not too long in the wilderness before we are relevant again.

Bit of difference in Ellis' situation to the other 3 you mention. Rioli and Bolton already inked life-changing deals and I suspect our offer to Baker would have been decent coin too. Ellis was offered a mature fringe players contract and having already spoken about his challenging upbringing and having dependents his decision to leave was far easier to empathise with. I understand Bolton already has kids but he's also already on big bucks.

I've chosen not to watch the BnF speeches as I'd prefer to remember these players as fondly as possible, but can't help but feed a bit jaded towards anyone departing now that the going is getting tough.

Reactions: 6 users
I've chosen not to watch the BnF speeches as I'd prefer to remember these players as fondly as possible, but can't help but feed a bit jaded towards anyone departing now that the going is getting tough.
The departures this year are unprecedented.
Because of it all of us will feel a bit less love for the players at our footy club knowing they could leave to better their situation at any time. 5 year deals? Pffftt. Worth the paper it's written on.
The AFLPA has a fair bit to answer for too here.

It's why it's always club love over player.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I would add,

speaking is pretty easy.

we're all humans; and now dusty has officially retired a second time,

magic does not happen.

Whilst that's true.

He does come across as awkward and a little forced in most of the viewings Leysy has seen of him.

These days outstanding soft and social skills, natural communication and ability to own the room are all pre-requisites for great coaches ILO.

That gets the absolute buy-in from players to get the best out of them and to want to be there. Reckon it's way more important than any tactical nouse. You can support yourself with that.

Nearly all have it - Dimma, McRae, Fagan etc in recent times. Our recent assistants to move up do Kingsley and Mini.

Does Yze - Maybe, but it has to be a question mark. And if he doesn't it's going to make it devlishly difficult to succeed.

Reactions: 2 users
Because of it all of us will feel a bit less love for the players at our footy club knowing they could leave to better their situation at any time. 5 year deals? Pffftt. Worth the paper it's written on.

Yes.
AFLPA has a lot to answer for.
Needs to come back a bit.
Over corrected far too much to the side of the player.
First sign of trouble they go running to their agent.
Get them to speak to the club.
Which is a good thing as many of today's players are not capable of structuring sentences.
Would be happy to see clubs shop players around this upcoming period.
Watch them run and cry to their agents.

Should work both ways.
Also contracts are worthless these days.

The whole Richmond Man thing was a wank back in 2017 and it still is.
Good Clubman will do.
The rest is hubris.

Reactions: 3 users
Whilst that's true.

He does come across as awkward and a little forced in most of the viewings Leysy has seen of him.

These days outstanding soft and social skills, natural communication and ability to own the room are all pre-requisites for great coaches ILO.

That gets the absolute buy-in from players to get the best out of them and to want to be there. Reckon it's way more important than any tactical nouse. You can support yourself with that.

Nearly all have it - Dimma, McRae, Fagan etc in recent times. Our recent assistants to move up do Kingsley and Mini.

Does Yze - Maybe, but it has to be a question mark. And if he doesn't it's going to make it devlishly difficult to succeed.
Craig Bellamy is the best coach of any sport in Aust IMO, he doesn't come across as a great public speaker.

But he is clearly an incredible coach and motivator. Seems to be able to get the best out of every player on the list, as well as command immense respect.

There is a good 2 part interview with Pappy/Hughes/Munster on youtube. Clearly loved by his players.

Would love him to work with the Tigers in some capacity down the track.

Reactions: 2 users
its footy CT.

The greats; Hardwick, Clarkson, Matthews, Sheedy, Hafey,

say things like 'theres nothing more tigerish than a tiger'

or 'if it bleeds we can kill it', or 'we are one step from the summit'

and thats the best history shows. thats the greatest oratory hits.

None of 'em are going to win a Peace Prize.

I think Phil Cleary was the closest thing, and he used to say 'go out there and hit the *smile* in the back of the head every chance you get'

As a carpenter uses nails, the footy coach uses 2-bob banal violent metaphor and simile.

the trick is having 22 pretty gullible blokes who are better at footy than the other blokes, and believe all the *smile* you say and think its original
Yeah, it's not the biggest issue.

But I don't think it's a non issue.

Carpenters can't build a house out of nails.

If the coach stands in front of his players, holding in his head the most tactically incisive game plan in history, armed with insight, preparation and cunning, then bumbles incoherently, his players are going to run around in circles until they get themselves a spoon.

Yze might have the skills of an excellent assistant coach.

Maybe, seeing as contracts are largely worthless, clubs will offer shorter term deals.

Reactions: 1 users
Dimma was the same in 1st year. It can be difficult presenting on stage in a formal function no matter how much you know the people. Have a look at retiring players on how nervous they get when announcing in front of their own teammates. Some people can do it and some can't. I reckon time will fix this.
I reckon effectively everyone can do it. It’s in all of us. But you have to practice and fear of failure is large.

Yze will be forced to practice. So yep you are spot on. It’s such an important tool in the leaders kit bag though we should as a club be developing it if it isn’t there.

Bit of difference in Ellis' situation to the other 3 you mention. Rioli and Bolton already inked life-changing deals and I suspect our offer to Baker would have been decent coin too. Ellis was offered a mature fringe players contract and having already spoken about his challenging upbringing and having dependents his decision to leave was far easier to empathise with. I understand Bolton already has kids but he's also already on big bucks.

Agree with this.

Also think as a club we should have stayed classy and stepped above the emotion.

IMG_1842.jpeg

when Brandon Ellis went to Gold Coast, most on here wished him well and saw that he was securing a future for himself, a future, that Richmond were unable or unwilling to provide to him. He would always be a Richmond man.
I see that Rioli and Baker annd Bolton are doing exactly that - securing for themselves a financial security, another chapter in their playing careers and in their lives. Bakes speech was dreadful but does not define what he has brought to the club. Shai has never been a public speaker nor has Daniel, but who could forget their endeavours in securing our club three magnificent premierships. I still see them as Richmond men and wish them well and thank them for highs we have seen with them playing for our magnificent football club. Of course, it is with some sadness that I say goodbye but at the end of the day, footy is just a game and we should thank them for the contribution they have made.
the negativity being written about the speeches from the players, the president, the coach and even Sam Lane is disappointing but I get it. I live and breathe ‘yellow and black’ and hope it’s not too long in the wilderness before we are relevant again.
Well said TM.

Agree with most of what you have said on this subject ToO, but not this.

The two players taking most flack on this Shai and Dan are our best and our fastest,
and our most valuable.

The club has agreed to trade them because it believes that we will be better served by selling them in favour of younger players who have the chance to come through and grow in their football together.

If the club wanted to stop it it could have.
Instead it will only be stopped now if the offers are too low. Blaming these two and suggesting they alone have made this choice is a nice out for the club but is misconstruing what has occurred.

I reckon effectively everyone can do it. It’s in all of us. But you have to practice and fear of failure is large.

Yze will be forced to practice. So yep you are spot on. It’s such an important tool in the leaders kit bag though we should as a club be developing it if it isn’t there.
Confidence is the key. That will come with experience.

You should be writing for the coach and Prez.