Jack Dyer Medal 2024 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Dyer Medal 2024

when Brandon Ellis went to Gold Coast, most on here wished him well and saw that he was securing a future for himself, a future, that Richmond were unable or unwilling to provide to him. He would always be a Richmond man.
I see that Rioli and Baker annd Bolton are doing exactly that - securing for themselves a financial security, another chapter in their playing careers and in their lives.
I think the only thing I disagree with amongst all that is Bolton and Rioli. They had long term contracts which set them up for life already, ones they were happy to sign.
Not against them going, and don't care too much about their speeches. Neither would be a spokesperson for our club on a regular basis, just not their thing.
Rioli was out before we got rolling. He was looking at options real early in the season - that ain't right.
Shai wants his kids around grandparents. Bit weird to sign a contract knowing that could be the case, but he's young, reckon he loved the club too. Maybe he just made the wrong judgement call at the time. Not like the club hasn't made a few.

Reactions: 1 users
Toastmasters helped me a lot.
Great way to improve public speaking.
Once you do it the key thing really is to have your key messages clear and practise it before hand - i.e. no different to training how to kick a footy.
Yze had clearly not practised it o at a minimum tested it in front of someone else.
A skill he needs to grow. Hopefully he can get some constructive feedback.
He was also unwell and tried to crack a joke.
Plenty of coaches have problems with speeches.
There was an ex-Richmond player who coached later on and his three-quarter time speech was:

"You blokes are not worth a pie"

paused for effect, then followed with

"You blokes are not worth a cold pie!"

then walked back to the grandstand.

I think the only thing I disagree with amongst all that is Bolton and Rioli. They had long term contracts which set them up for life already, ones they were happy to sign.
Not against them going, and don't care too much about their speeches. Neither would be a spokesperson for our club on a regular basis, just not their thing.
Rioli was out before we got rolling. He was looking at options real early in the season - that ain't right.
Shai wants his kids around grandparents. Bit weird to sign a contract knowing that could be the case, but he's young, reckon he loved the club too. Maybe he just made the wrong judgement call at the time. Not like the club hasn't made a few.
Not just their decision. The club could have pulled them up at any time and still might.

Ralphsmith for me
He has certainly improved. The fact that it hasn’t been awarded is the thing.
How can you say to those young players, who have worked hard and managed to achieve improvement that none of you are good enough. It is a real slap in the face.

Reactions: 1 user
The whole Richmond Man thing was a wank back in 2017 and it still is.
Good Clubman will do.
The rest is hubris.
It wasn't a wank because we were winning. Same with some of the stuff Hardwick would say in press conferences. The same line in 2019 sounded very different in 2022, or 2016.
Same with BEllis leaving, we were all happy for him because we were winning, and we knew we would keep on winning.

Now we are losing and everything and everyone is the cause.

Reactions: 2 users
Hard but probably a race between Brown and Miller.
I'd probably have gone Ralphsmith given Miller and Brown tailed off toward the end of the year. If Miller had been able to keep up his early mid year form the whole way through, he'd have been a shoe in for me.
Always expected Brown to improve but the other 2 were delist material and entrenched themselves in the 22.
You're right, bit of an oversight by the clubfor mine . I'm sure we've had it in other years maybe I'm just going loco.

He has certainly improved. The fact that it hasn’t been awarded is the thing.
How can you say to those young players, who have worked hard and managed to achieve improvement that none of you are good enough. It is a real slap in the face.
A kick up the bum & a reality check is more accurate.
Our under 25s have got to start stepping up or they will be moved on.
Miller was our most improved this season as reflected in the votes. Miller is not that great. They’ve got some work ahead.

I'd probably have gone Ralphsmith given Miller and Brown tailed off toward the end of the year. If Miller had been able to keep up his early mid year form the whole way through, he'd have been a shoe in for me.
Always expected Brown to improve but the other 2 were delist material and entrenched themselves in the 22.
You're right, bit of an oversight by the clubfor mine . I'm sure we've had it in other years maybe I'm just going loco.
Well I am giving you the benefit of the doubt… just.. you are not going loco.
Brown and Miller certainly went backwards at the end but given the state of our midfield so would most.

• Haha
Interesting that some of our whipping boys polled comparatively well (Short 8th, McIntosh eq 11th).
From the club website:

"Under the Jack Dyer Medal voting system all the team’s players on match day receive a rating from 0-5 based on their overall performance.

The match committee assesses each player’s offensive, defensive and contest impacts on the game.

After those game phases have been analysed, the 0-5 rating is given as a joint match committee decision.

Votes are not allocated for what the match committee deems a below-average performance."

Given we're talking just over 1 vote a game for many, out of a possible 5, it really underlines how poor the year was.
I'd hate to see how many were less than a vote a game.

It wasn't a wank because we were winning. Same with some of the stuff Hardwick would say in press conferences. The same line in 2019 sounded very different in 2022, or 2016.
Same with BEllis leaving, we were all happy for him because we were winning, and we knew we would keep on winning.

Now we are losing and everything and everyone is the cause.
Yeh, I do not think it was a wank. It worked because there was buy-in and belief from everyone. But that was their brand or culture.

Yze and this team need to create a new identity or brand.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeh, I do not think it was a wank. It worked because there was buy-in and belief from everyone. But that was their brand or culture.

Yze and this team need to create a new identity or brand.
These things work when the team comes up with them. When they get imposed it’s a bit harder.

What does being a Richmond man mean you want the current team to come up with.