It's time - Jack into the middle | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

It's time - Jack into the middle

Carter said:
Nice try. McBean was far more consistent than Ty.

This is the crucial point on which your argument fails.

Let me translate: Nice try = You have tried to put forward a compelling argument, but you failed as my opinions are fact. Keep on trying and you might someday reach my lofty intellect and supreme knowledge of the game.

Carter said:
Great, then you must have been at the bar?

So you question Taz's attendance at VFL games, to which he replied that he's missed 4 out of 42 games, and you serve up this condescending comment because his opinion is different to yours?

You're a real piece of work.

Nico said:
Let me translate: Nice try = You have tried to put forward a compelling argument, but you failed as my opinions are fact. Keep on trying and you might someday reach my lofty intellect and supreme knowledge of the game.

So you question Taz's attendance at VFL games, to which he replied that he's missed 4 out of 42 games, and you serve up this condescending comment because his opinion is different to yours?

You're a real piece of work.

Lighten up Nico, Taz is wrong about McBean and backing his argument with attendance carries zero weight since many of us have also attended VFL games.

I try to get to all of them, of course not possible sometimes.

But let the angst flow!

Carter said:
Lighten up Nico, Taz is wrong about McBean in my humble opinion and backing his argument with attendance carries zero weight since many of us have also attended VFL games.

But let the angst flow!
Edited for accuracy ;D

Carter said:
Lighten up Nico, Taz is wrong about McBean and backing his argument with attendance carries zero weight since many of us have also attended VFL games.

But let the angst flow!

Maybe he did a Zaharakis and refused to swallow the magic beans.

Carter said:

But let the angst flow!

how am I wrong ? because my opinion differs from yours

I think most who have seen Liam would agree with both of my points about him

1. Rarely takes contested marks
2. Rarely halves an aerial contest

I would love to see him make it, I sit @ PRO with his parents, I was the first parent (according to the club) to request him send a birthday card for my daughter, he has some sensational attributes

I will also say that it will be his fault & not Dimma's if he doest make it, because he does have some flaws in his game

Some on here fail to recognize that TSO is The Way, The Truth and The Life. If you disagree with any of TSO's facts you are wrong.

Carter said:
love the creative filters used for Vickery.

seems like everyone wants to point out a good game here, a bag there.

31 goals in 15 games. not bad, but doesn't take into account the intangibles that occurred if one to actually watch the games and not rely on the baldest of stats.

He still needs to improve his intensity from quarter to quarter, game to game.

He still doesn't attack the air ball. Doesn't fight for front position.

And finally, he still insists on continuing a one-sided dialogue with the umpires when the ball is still in his area.

He is far from the finished product and I certainly don't think he is "peforming" at AFL level.

He had a few very good games last year interspersed with a host of thoroughly mediocre ones.

Come on, Carter, you're better than that.

Firstly, you seem to keep implying that no one other than you watches the games, and we all rely solely on a stats sheet to make our assessments. I doubt there's many people on here who don't watch the games.

The difference is, I watch the games AND believe Vickery performed at and above expectation and requirement at times last year, and the stats back that up. You watch the games, believe Vickery hasn't ever performed, and base that on 'intangibles'. Your own intangibles, mind you, not the same intangibles as anyone else. Then you just make broad, unfounded statements and claim them as evidence. "He still doesn't attack the air ball"... What nonsense sort of statement is that? You realise he has taken marks, right. He clearly did attack the ball while it was in the air a lot last year. And yes, I did see that while watching games. But you probably had your 'we should have traded Vickery last year when he had zero value' glasses on.

Yes, he has improvement left. But "it is simply untrue that Vickery has performed at the senior level" is probably the stupidest thing that has been said on this forum this year.

One area where I think really frustrates me about Vickery is he is fine when he breaks away from his defender to take the mark but his contested marking (ie. above his head) is not good enough for someone who has his physical characteristics and has played over 100 games. When you look at the below link (hope the filters stay) he doesn't compare particularly well in my opinion on his contested marking.

Vickery averaged 1.33 contested marks per game, behind the likes of Cam Pederson, Josh Walker, Jack Redpath and even lachie Henderson its got to be something he can improve upon.

I know there isn't a stat for it and its visual from being at the game, but he is caught behind his man too often and then playing catchup to get back to the ball, he also takes the lower % option of the chest mark instead of marking out in front enabling the defender to get a spoil in. He would be a far more impacting player if he lifted his arms and marked out in front when going for a mark, he also needs to reduce the amount of times he is caught behind and gives the defenders an easy mark.

Sure some of this is related to ball use (maybe the ones caught behind) as some of the ball use may not be so good, but he does seem to try and double back behind a defender too much rather than leading out in front.

If he could change the above then IMO he could become one of the best 2nd talls in the game and I could certainly then see the optimism of him kicking the number of goals that some hope he will kick and will massively increase our chances of going deep into finals.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2015&rt=LA&st=CM

I think that the Vickery of the last 6 - 8 games played at a much better level than earlier iterations.

I hopes he keeps on that improvement trajectory.

YinnarTiger said:
Some on here fail to recognize that TSO is The Way, The Truth and The Life. If you disagree with any of TSO's facts you are wrong.

Lol

Coburgtiger said:
Come on, Carter, you're better than that.

Firstly, you seem to keep implying that no one other than you watches the games, and we all rely solely on a stats sheet to make our assessments. I doubt there's many people on here who don't watch the games.

The difference is, I watch the games AND believe Vickery performed at and above expectation and requirement at times last year, and the stats back that up. You watch the games, believe Vickery hasn't ever performed, and base that on 'intangibles'. Your own intangibles, mind you, not the same intangibles as anyone else. Then you just make broad, unfounded statements and claim them as evidence. "He still doesn't attack the air ball"... What nonsense sort of statement is that? You realise he has taken marks, right. He clearly did attack the ball while it was in the air a lot last year. And yes, I did see that while watching games. But you probably had your 'we should have traded Vickery last year when he had zero value' glasses on.

Yes, he has improvement left. But "it is simply untrue that Vickery has performed at the senior level" is probably the stupidest thing that has been said on this forum this year.

Coburg, if you genuinely think Vickery has been consistent there's nothing more to say.

Delusional :hihi

By "performing" do you mean a handful of very good games?

If that's your definition, then I'd say he has performed.

If your definition requires consistency, he hasn't.

Isn't that hard pal.

Sintiger said:
I think the correct term is bonehead ;D
Are you joining in with Nightcarter to vilify me Sinnerman? Shame on you for joining up with the pack of one to persecute me :eek: ;D.

Bloody weird statement for Nightcarter to call someone a bone head as every time I tap my head I manage get this strange bony sort of clunking sound. I thought everyone's head was made from lots of bony stuff.

Carter said:
Hollow ;D
Isn't that what A.G.Bell said when he first tested his brand new telephone? Or is that how most of your arguments sound?
I get confused some times with all that tapping n clunking on my bonehead.

Carter said:
Coburg, if you genuinely think Vickery has been consistent there's nothing more to say.

Delusional :hihi

By "performing" do you mean a handful of very good games?

If that's your definition, then I'd say he has performed.

If your definition requires consistency, he hasn't.

Isn't that hard pal.

How would the meaning of 'Vickery has performed as a forward at the senior level while Griffiths hasnt' be anything other than "Vickery has regularly played some very good games as a forward while Griffiths hasnt"?

It ain't that hard, me old China.

taztiger4 said:
how am I wrong ? because my opinion differs from yours

I think most who have seen Liam would agree with both of my points about him

1. Rarely takes contested marks
2. Rarely halves an aerial contest

I would love to see him make it, I sit @ PRO with his parents, I was the first parent (according to the club) to request him send a birthday card for my daughter, he has some sensational attributes

I will also say that it will be his fault & not Dimma's if he doest make it, because he does have some flaws in his game

Checkmate.

TigerMasochist said:
Isn't that what A.G.Bell said when he first tested his brand new telephone? Or is that how most of your arguments sound?
I get confused some times with all that tapping n clunking on my bonehead.

http://www.zakkeith.com/articles,blogs,forums/who-invented-the-telephone.htm

lamb22 said:
I think that the Vickery of the last 6 - 8 games played at a much better level than earlier iterations.

I hopes he keeps on that improvement trajectory.
Agreed. His attack at the aerial ball (along with Miles' performances) were my highlights of an otherwise grim EF. I hope to see more of that this season, I really think he could easily kick 40 plus goals this season.

TigerMasochist said:
Are you joining in with Nightcarter to vilify me Sinnerman? Shame on you for joining up with the pack of one to persecute me :eek: ;D.

Bloody weird statement for Nightcarter to call someone a bone head as every time I tap my head I manage get this strange bony sort of clunking sound. I thought everyone's head was made from lots of bony stuff.
Just to be 100% clear I was having a gentle crack at Carter for calling your comment bonehead. I certainly wasn't having a crack at you.

I really think we should an award for the bonehead comment of the year though, there would be plenty of candidates. I dare say I may get a nomination or two myself as we all probably would considering that in the end we are mostly just fans giving opinions