It's time - Jack into the middle | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

It's time - Jack into the middle

All good Sin, just mucking around.
Annual bonehead award sounds fun, there's some classics get put up at times.

TigerMasochist said:
All good Sin, just mucking around.
Annual bonehead award sounds fun, there's some classics get put up at times.

We'd have to exclude game day, there would be hundreds of contenders from each game day thread of the season!!

Leysy Days said:
Yep, gameday and probably the two hrs following rightly should get an embargo.

That's like excluding professional Athletes from the Olympics. You'll never get the best of the best if you do that. Though it's going to be hard to TOP some of the early hangmen in the chopstick threads.

Bullarto Tiger said:
Riewoldt is, in my opinion, the most skilled and innovative player at RFC.
He has the capacity to be influential in almost any part of the ground.
And while I would prefer him to be the major forward I can see the merit in playing him in bursts through the midfield where I do believe he could be rather influential at times.
AGREE

The Dogs have a 21 year old key forward who kicked 56 goals last season.

Interestingly they also have him earmarked to spend time in the midfield this year.

This moving of your most talented big fella's to the midfield for stints couldn't catch on could it Dimma?

Rance is a different beast, with completely different, almost polar opposite traits to Jack and Roughie so no surprise it didn't work out.

Leysy Days said:
Rance is a different beast, with completely different, almost polar opposite traits to Jack and Roughie so no surprise it didn't work out.

Perhaps, but when you said "talented big guy" I couldn't resist, particularly since Dimma infamously tried this move already. :hihi

Leysy Days said:
The Dogs have a 21 year old key forward who kicked 56 goals last season.

Interestingly they also have him earmarked to spend time in the midfield this year.

This moving of your most talented big fella's to the midfield for stints couldn't catch on could it Dimma?

Night and day difference between the movement ability of Stringer and Jack.

Barnzy said:

Dunno about that. Jack may not look as smooth as Stringer, but the effect is the same in terms of getting to the ball, staying in the contest and making things happen.

I'm on the fence and open to it. Whenever Jack has gone into the middle he's been effective, makes things happen just like he does in the fwd line. There is no doub't in my mind as to his ability in the centre, if we had 2 Jacks you'd start 1 in the middle and one at FF and be absolutely rapt. Whether we a) need him there, b) can afford to have him there remains to be seen and depends on a heap of complexities and variables. ATM my preference/ hunch is for him to go in the guts a bit more often than he does now as the situation demands.

Barnzy said:

Agree.

And Jake doesn't have the vision, one-touch, quick mind, reading of the play or dual sidedness of Jack to make an impact like our boy in there.

Yet the Dogs still see the value of seeing if he can impact games from spurts in the middle.

Leysy Days said:
Agree.

And Jake doesn't have the vision, one-touch, quick mind, reading of the play or dual sidedness of Jack to make an impact like our boy in there.

Yet the Dogs still see the value of seeing if he can impact games from spurts in the middle.

You're underselling Stringer there, he has all those things.

It was odd, when I first started watching Stringer start off, all I could think was - Jack Riewoldt. They play in such a similar way. It's that speed of mind, vision and one touch play that is common to both of them. They would both be excellent midfielders.

But you want your best forwards forward. It's pretty simple. Make no mistake, that's where the game is won or lost. Any old Tuck can rip the ball out of a pack and jam it forward, very few have the skill to get it through the big sticks.

Coburgtiger said:
You're underselling Stringer there, he has all those things.

It was odd, when I first started watching Stringer start off, all I could think was - Jack Riewoldt. They play in such a similar way. It's that speed of mind, vision and one touch play that is common to both of them. They would both be excellent midfielders.

But you want your best forwards forward. It's pretty simple. Make no mistake, that's where the game is won or lost. Any old Tuck can rip the ball out of a pack and jam it forward, very few have the skill to get it through the big sticks.
Stringer is a hell of a lot faster and explosive than Jack. Not sure you want to be robbing the forward line of a Dual Coleman medalist.

jb03 said:
Stringer is a hell of a lot faster and explosive than Jack. Not sure you want to be robbing the forward line of a Dual Coleman medalist.

Tigers of Old said:
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. He'd leave Jack eating his dust.

We're talking about taking your turn winning some crucial clearances, not the Stawell Gift lads.

Yeah agree with you here Leysy. Jack wont need too long in there to make an impact. Maybe say start two quarters in the middle and go in anytime the opposition kicks two quick goals in a row. So maybe 6 or so times per game and be the plus one at a few wing area throw ins. I reckon he can do some damage with those opportunities.

tbartiger said:
Maybe say start two quarters in the middle...

So 50% of the time, we're starting with what has been recognised as not necessarily our best starting middle 4, but a 'change up' formation?

tbartiger said:
...go in anytime the opposition kicks two quick goals in a row.

Make it 4 in a row, then it's a possibility. Teams kick 2 in a row a lot.