Is Jack Riewoldt too lazy and arrogant to become a gun ?? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Is Jack Riewoldt too lazy and arrogant to become a gun ??

IanG said:
FFS he's close to being the best performed KPF taken from 2005 onwards, what more do people want. Yes he still needs to bulk up more, his problem has been he's not strong enough yet.

Well said IanG.

Imagine the threads we'd be seeing if we took Sellar and not Riewoldt.

jack does pretty well considering the delivery he gets, once we start deliverying it lace out, jack could be anythink

Total Tiger said:
The comparison to Nick is unfair. They are only cousins not twins, so they shouldn't be expected to have the same genetic makeup.

Well said.

Jack is Jack not Nick(hmm that sounds bad).

Going by the stats,he could be kicking 49 this year. ;D

I am very happy with Jack.

Being a bit greedy, I would lik,e him to kick a tad longer - not sure hes the one we want kicking from 50.

does anyone else think he struggles for distance.

Dyer Disciple said:
Busy school hunting, he has decided he is going to go back and finally graduate and is still looking for a primary school that will take him. (Lots of off field rumours!)

Ask him if he wants a list of Special Schools? :hihi

To be fair... Jack's no 'muppet arms' Fiora, but he's no Hulkster either.

Slow and steady is better than sudden change!

Jacks making progress. he may not become an "elite". But I believe he will become more than just serviceable.
People often enough mistake self assuredness and confidence with arrogance.
I just hope more of our players develop such traits instead of the introverts we have/had.
If that becomes arrogance....good, if we start to experience success to go with it.

willo said:
Jacks making progress. he may not become an "elite". But I believe he will become more than just serviceable.
People often enough mistake self assuredness and confidence with arrogance.
I just hope more of our players develop such traits instead of the introverts we have/had.
If that becomes arrogance....good, if we start to experience success to go with it.

Well put Willo

Not saying Jack lacks confidence, however how often do we see crap put on forums and peolple take as gospel just because they want too hear *smile* like this, geez some of the utter crap spoke of Joel and Richo off the field over there careers gave them great cases to make a lot of coin.

Funny over the years how the boys start of been ,honest and easy to approach and then over time they become a lot more wary and less tolerante .

Of all the forums floating around I wonder how many have 3 young talls getting bagged, besides all the other sniping

if griffiths ends up as good as jack wll a 50-60 goal kp forward, we have the makings of a great forward line.
add nahas and morton in there contributing another 60 -70 goals, we are well on our way. Griffiths development will be critical to how good young jack will become, and vice versa of course

I like JR's extroversion and self belief. From the picture earlier in the thread, looks in very good shape to me. One simple goal for JR in year 4: 40+ goals off half forward would be a big step in the right direction for our forward line, with Mitch and Nahas in support.

The final piece/s of the puzzle will hopefully come from Vickery/Griffiths/Astbury/Taylor realising their potential as key forward options. You wouldn't expect to see those four exert any dominance for another 2-3 years, but the future down forward does seem to be brightening for mine...

flogger said:
Jack is fine..most other clubs would snaffle him up if they had the chance, which is always the bast litmus test of his value.

Come on everyone, let's be positive and support our players!!

This from the bloke who has a short career in having a crack at King at every opportunity. :headscratch

Jack can become a gun up forward in the same mold as Whitnall at Carlton.
He's going really well.
I like the lad a lot.

the problem with richmond supporters is that we want it NOW & just because the kids surname is reiwoldt we expect more !

lets take a look, in an uder performing team dominated by richo & cruelled by wallace's zig zag coaching methods this kid has come through with flying colours.

we are trying to compare jack 09 with nick 09....................why

compare them at the same age which is nick in 2003, nick averaged 3 possesions a game more but 1 goal & 1 tackle a game less
the reason for the extra possesion could be because nick played further up the ground & played in a better team which has a fair bit to do with where they are at, they are both the same height some even believe that jack is 1 cm taller yet nick is considered kpf but jack isnt.

nicks advantage is speed & stamina but jacks is footy smarts & aggression. lance franklin is nearly 2 years older & at the start of 2008 was at the same levelif griffiths & astbury end up taking over ff chf that would leave jack to roam & play a similar type of role to nick

be patient guys rome wasnt built in a day

turk-d-tiger said:
the problem with richmond supporters is that we want it NOW & just because the kids surname is reiwoldt we expect more !

lets take a look, in an uder performing team dominated by richo & cruelled by wallace's zig zag coaching methods this kid has come through with flying colours.

we are trying to compare jack 09 with nick 09....................why

compare them at the same age which is nick in 2003, nick averaged 3 possesions a game more but 1 goal & 1 tackle a game less
the reason for the extra possesion could be because nick played further up the ground & played in a better team which has a fair bit to do with where they are at, they are both the same height some even believe that jack is 1 cm taller yet nick is considered kpf but jack isnt.

nicks advantage is speed & stamina but jacks is footy smarts & aggression. lance franklin is nearly 2 years older & at the start of 2008 was at the same levelif griffiths & astbury end up taking over ff chf that would leave jack to roam & play a similar type of role to nick

be patient guys rome wasnt built in a day

30 years?

Umm,I'll leave now. ;D

TigerFurious said:
Silly topic.

Here is Riewoldt's vital stats over the past three seasons.

Year Games Disposals Marks Goals Behinds
2009 20 258 127 32 27
2008 18 194 87 18 8
2007 8 53 25 7 3

However you want to spin those numbers the trend is undeniably upward and will likely continue this year and beyond. He will eventually become a 50-60 goal forward and a cornerstone of a new look Richmond forward line.

Reiwoldt is the least of our problems. End discussion.

On that trend, he should (and I reckon he might too) kick about 60 goals this year TF. I am not the least bit concern about JR. A well used draft pick travelling nicely.

Here is Jonathon Browns numbers. In 2000 Jon Brown was 18 and a half. Jack's 2009 was as good statistically as any year Jon Brown had before he was 25. Furthermore, Jack has had the likes of Jackson, Tuck and Tivendale kicking it over his head through the same period that Jon Brown had Voss, Black, Aker and Lappin shoving it down his throat (have a look at the games played and games won ratio through JB's developmental years). Now I know Jon Brown imposes himself on games in ways that dont show up in stats, but I also think our Jack has a similar lack of regard for his own personal safety as big Jon Brown and he will end up a similar size. Nah Im not the least worried about JR. With Cuz, Cotch, Lids and Dusty slotting it down his gullet this year, I think we'll see Jack thrive. ;D

Year Team No. Games (W-D-L) Marks Disp Goals Bhd
2000 Brisbane Lions 16 13 (9-0-4) 47 123 5 2
2001 Brisbane Lions 16 25 (20-0-5) 157 347 38 22
2002 Brisbane Lions 16 19 (15-0-4) 97 230 14 14
2003 Brisbane Lions 16 19 (14-0-5) 126 286 27 15
2004 Brisbane Lions 16 17 (13-0-4) 140 274 39 21
2005 Brisbane Lions 16 14 (8-0-6) 103 238 33 19
2006 Brisbane Lions 16 10 (4-0-6) 103 189 35 18
2007 Brisbane Lions 16 22 (9-2-11) 195 353 77 38
2008 Brisbane Lions 16 21 (10-0-11) 167 307 70 47
2009 Brisbane Lions 16 24 (14-1-9) 204 385 85 52

Apparently he said something this morning along the lines of the players feel like they're in secondary school this year, after having been in primary school in recent years. KB has been talking about it.

It's another obvious dig at Wallace and his cohorts. Did anyone hear what was actually said and the context of it?

tigergollywog said:
Here is Jonathon Browns numbers. In 2000 Jon Brown was 18 and a half. Jack's 2009 was as good statistically as any year Jon Brown had before he was 25. Furthermore, Jack has had the likes of Jackson, Tuck and Tivendale kicking it over his head through the same period that Jon Brown had Voss, Black, Aker and Lappin shoving it down his throat (have a look at the games played and games won ratio through JB's developmental years). Now I know Jon Brown imposes himself on games in ways that dont show up in stats, but I also think our Jack has a similar lack of regard for his own personal safety as big Jon Brown and he will end up a similar size. Nah Im not the least worried about JR. With Cuz, Cotch, Lids and Dusty slotting it down his gullet this year, I think we'll see Jack thrive. ;D

Year Team No. Games (W-D-L) Marks Disp Goals Bhd
2000 Brisbane Lions 16 13 (9-0-4) 47 123 5 2
2001 Brisbane Lions 16 25 (20-0-5) 157 347 38 22
2002 Brisbane Lions 16 19 (15-0-4) 97 230 14 14
2003 Brisbane Lions 16 19 (14-0-5) 126 286 27 15
2004 Brisbane Lions 16 17 (13-0-4) 140 274 39 21
2005 Brisbane Lions 16 14 (8-0-6) 103 238 33 19
2006 Brisbane Lions 16 10 (4-0-6) 103 189 35 18
2007 Brisbane Lions 16 22 (9-2-11) 195 353 77 38
2008 Brisbane Lions 16 21 (10-0-11) 167 307 70 47
2009 Brisbane Lions 16 24 (14-1-9) 204 385 85 52

Good man bygolly! I should share the Presidency with you ;D

All this crit of Jack is so incrediably premature. As has been shown, he is tracking very nicely, with the only excpetion being his kicking, but be sure he is working on that. He is poised to make a lot a people eat their cyber words!

Half the problem is us. We seem to have expectations that these guys will perform week in week out and will emulate the feats of Royce Hart at 18 years of age.

The fact is they won't perform week in week out. No one does.

Thats why the club is trying to put guys like Griffin, Astbury, Morton, Nahas, and co around them, so we have options, when a player is well held, or just having a bad day.

We are so used to relying on blokes like Richo and Gale being out goal kickers and when they were covered we had no other quality options.

its not about developing a structure around player, its about developing the players around the structure and having options that give us a plan B. Something we haven't had in years.