Is Jack Riewoldt too lazy and arrogant to become a gun ?? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Is Jack Riewoldt too lazy and arrogant to become a gun ??

The comparison to Nick is unfair. They are only cousins not twins, so they shouldn't be expected to have the same genetic makeup.

Don't forget Richmond's magnificent systematic forward 50 entries and scintillating passing to it's forwards. Bat always helps. ::)

evo said:
He's 193cm isn't he? Plus he has a good leap. He is not quite Jonathon Brown size but still more than tall enough to hold a KPP.

Lets not start making too many excuses for him.
Not making excuses for him mate.I just reckon he,s a classic HF flanker in which the side will benefit more with him playing that role rather than at F/Fwd or CHF.It would make opposition clubs "think" about their defensive structures.

ToraToraTora said:
Don't forget Richmond's magnificent systematic forward 50 entries and scintillating passing to it's forwards. Bat always helps. ::)
What type of Bat?
Cricket,Baseball?

Jack Riewoldt might have been able to play HFF 30 years ago, but he can't today. He is simply not quick enough to put defensive pressure on the HBFs as they look to rebound the ball forward or break the lines.

Jack is a KPF. He might not be the greatest athletic specimen, but he has something that a lot of these tall kids drafted to be KPPs lack, and that is a footy brain. Watch how he plays, and you will see a guy who is a natural forward.

In time, I think Jack will make a very good Full Forward, and other teams have seen that. When Jack plays deep, he is often double teamed.

He is inconsistent, and his accuracy shooting for goal is nothing to rave about, but there are plenty of other teams who would take him in a heartbeat.

Excuses for his continuing improved production?

Jack is a good but not great athlete, notably not having elite speed like cousin Nick, which is why he was picked after other talls like Hansen, Gumbleton, Thorp, Reid, Brown and Everitt in the 2006 Draft. He has been the second most productive tall in his draft so far (after Tippett) which is pretty good.

I like the way Jack improved his endurance to be able to take more marks on the lead at half-forward. I didn't like the way his goalkicking got the yips last year, but am hoping that was a mental rather than a technique issue.

Because he isn't a dominant athlete he may always be prone to unfavourable matchups against the Dustin Fletcher freak types, but he seems well on his way to a productive career. I like the way the guys get around him when he kicks a goal, I think he has the right kind of leadership/arrogance

Jack is fine..most other clubs would snaffle him up if they had the chance, which is always the bast litmus test of his value.

Come on everyone, let's be positive and support our players!!

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
Not making excuses for him mate.I just reckon he,s a classic HF flanker in which the side will benefit more with him playing that role rather than at F/Fwd or CHF.It would make opposition clubs "think" about their defensive structures.

Sure, it would be good to have a player of his quality on the HFF and have other options taking up the key posts but we don't have those options, not yet. Also his speed in that position would be a worry.

He's more than capable of playing KPF and I don't know where all this HFF talk through his career has come from. Probably mainly because of misconceived judgements about his height and his lack of weight. How many other players that are 193/194cm (heard he's grown) play on the flank up forward? Maybe there's a few that I can't think off the top of my head but not a lot.

Streak said:
Jack Riewoldt might have been able to play HFF 30 years ago, but he can't today. He is simply not quick enough to put defensive pressure on the HBFs as they look to rebound the ball forward or break the lines.

Jack is a KPF. He might not be the greatest athletic specimen, but he has something that a lot of these tall kids drafted to be KPPs lack, and that is a footy brain. Watch how he plays, and you will see a guy who is a natural forward.

In time, I think Jack will make a very good Full Forward, and other teams have seen that. When Jack plays deep, he is often double teamed.

He is inconsistent, and his accuracy shooting for goal is nothing to rave about, but there are plenty of other teams who would take him in a heartbeat.

Well said.

Barnzy said:
Sure, it would be good to have a player of his quality on the HFF and have other options taking up the key posts but we don't have those options, not yet. Also his speed in that position would be a worry.

He's more than capable of playing capable and I don't know where all this HFF talk through his career has come from. Probably mainly because of misconceived judgements about his height and his lack of weight. How many other players that are 193/194cm (heard he's grown) play on the flank up forward? Maybe there's a few that I can't think off the top of my head but not a lot.
Have already said due to the current circumstances he,ll play F/F,CHF[Pending the form of Polak].As for concerns about his speed and opposition clubs exploiting that.Fair enough however i would hope Hardwick will be the type of Coach who would have a Positive outlook and actually have faith in Jack that he would play to his strengths,marking,Football nous to counteract whatever the opposition throw at him.

To answer your question..... No.
His competitiveness means he will not be satisfied if he is not a gun. And his smart football brain means he understands that if he is not perfect off field he can't get close to perfection on the field. I would be shocked to see Jack get caught up doing something stupid off the field and not treating his body right. I will be also shocked if he does not get the most out of his career.

In Jack we have a very competitve CHF, a gun 3rd tall (Polak CHF and Simmonds or Graham playing out of the square) and a very very good CHB if they ever chose to play him there. Would be an absolute stud CHB in my opinon as well.
I would be quite happy to see Bling, Jack and Newman play together at some stage across the Back Flank to see the chemistry.

FFS he's close to being the best performed KPF taken from 2005 onwards, what more do people want. Yes he still needs to bulk up more, his problem has been he's not strong enough yet.

Jack is going to be just fine, a more important question is whether Jack plays the type of footy in the forward zone that Harwick demands as part of his system, which he does.

Jack's a larrakin sure, hell I'm thankful for that, great personality to have around the club in a age of cardboard cutouts and cookie cutter sheets.

I wouldn't mistake his personality for laziness though, from what I can gather he is VERY dedicated to his career. You won't hear any Willy Mason like comments from him heh heh.

Dyer Disciple said:
Jack's a larrakin sure, hell I'm thankful for that, great personality to have around the club in a age of cardboard cutouts and cookie cutter sheets.
I wouldn't mistake his personality for laziness though, from what I can gather he is VERY dedicated to his career.

:clap
Agree wholeheartedly. A bit of arrogance and personality wont go astray. Hart, Brereton and Carey were considered to be arrogant as well, and no I dont think he will be as good as them. Let him grow into his arrogance, if its stripped away from him by the coaching staff I dont think he will reach his potential.

IanG said:
Welcome back DD, now wheres Tigerbob.

Busy school hunting, he has decided he is going to go back and finally graduate and is still looking for a primary school that will take him. (Lots of off field rumours!)

I'm not concerned about Riewoldt. Think he's a good player and well inside our best 22. I'll watch for that continued improvement this year, as it will make a real difference to any success we could have sooner rather than later.

Juffaricho said:
To answer your question..... No.
His competitiveness means he will not be satisfied if he is not a gun. And his smart football brain means he understands that if he is not perfect off field he can't get close to perfection on the field. I would be shocked to see Jack get caught up doing something stupid off the field and not treating his body right. I will be also shocked if he does not get the most out of his career.

In Jack we have a very competitve CHF, a gun 3rd tall (Polak CHF and Simmonds or Graham playing out of the square) and a very very good CHB if they ever chose to play him there. Would be an absolute stud CHB in my opinon as well.
I would be quite happy to see Bling, Jack and Newman play together at some stage across the Back Flank to see the chemistry.
Surely I didn't read someone writing SImmonds playing out of the square?? His next mark will be in his first in two years and he was an absolute disgrace last season. Most good judges thought he was very, very lucky to be on the slit let alone in the side

AS for graham, overhead marking isn't his long suit.