Hawx delist Thorp with a year to go under contract. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hawx delist Thorp with a year to go under contract.

TOT70 said:
Actually, you should have delisted him and allowed North to pick him up in the PSD for nothing. He was damaged goods and hiding it long enough to extract maximum compensation is one of the reasons why Hawthorn have earned their poor rep. It is not a good look.
Maybe in a dream world that would happen.

This is big business, and no club will simply delist a player if they think they can gain something for them in return regardless of how much hindsight you put into now.

There's other examples worldwide where organisations have made rivals aware of these type of complications in similar circumstances. The fact Hawthorn chose not to was entirely up to them and they'll most likely see a flow on effect from that decision for some time.

Disco08 said:
There's other examples worldwide where organisations have made rivals aware of these type of complications in similar circumstances. The fact Hawthorn chose not to was entirely up to them and they'll most likely see a flow on effect from that decision for some time.
I don't really believe that Disco, as it's media driven twaddle that get's eaten up by the punters.

The player managers, personel managers and players of AFL no full well that they are involved in a cut-throat business. And as seen during trade week, clubs are still dealing with us, even the Roo's who supposedly got so badly burnt by our underhand dealings.

I reckon all clubs would trade with any of the others if it suited their purpose. We were discussing the same thing about Greg Miller a few years ago and how his actions had cost us any respect and that clubs wouldn't trade with us because of him. I bet if we had a player they wanted they would have traded...we just didn't have too much currency.

Rosy,
What did Greg do apart from regularly trading for players who were other clubs rejects. If he traded our damaged goods I really can't remember it.

I can't remember momentai.  I couldn't find it in a search but I think it was his ruthless and uncompromising approach that people claimed made other clubs not willing to deal with us.  Maybe someone else can remember more?

Thanks Rosy. The most positive thing I've seen in our trading for years was that this year we actually traded a pretty average player for a draft pick below 50.

momentai said:
What did Greg do apart from regularly trading for players who were other clubs rejects. If he traded our damaged goods I really can't remember it.
When we traded Holland to Melbourne the deal was Holland and a draft pick for their pick 20ish. At the last minute we reneged and practically forced Melbourne to trade their pick just for Holland as they had no plan B. Cameron was the list manager at Melbourne at the time and had a fair bit to say on a blog.

PS this was by far the best trade that the Tigers have done that I remember.

Max said:
When we traded Holland to Melbourne the deal was Holland and a draft pick for their pick 20ish. At the last minute we reneged and practically forced Melbourne to trade their pick just for Holland as they had no plan B. Cameron was the list manager at Melbourne at the time and had a fair bit to say on a blog.

PS this was by far the best trade that the Tigers have done that I remember.

pretty much stuff like this Rosy. When we were trying to get Dean Solomon he offered up Ray Hall as a straight swap which the Dons at the time saw as insulting.

In hindsight I'm very glad we didn't get that deal done. Solomon is rubbish

Also in terms of best trades ever done by the tigs...I'd have to say the Jeff Hogg for Broderick, Michael Gale, Matt Dundas etc. would still have to be the best win for us...hahaha

Would seem an obvious get given our shortage of junior talls. Ideally Melbourne will persuade Luke Ball to join them via the PSD and then we can lock up Thorp with #2 pick mid-week this week before the National Draft.

Obviously he has is a risk but given our dearth of tall talent I don't think we have a choice. The above would also allow us potentially to draft the best player at pick 19 not necessarily based on our structural needs - saving this for our later picks. Assuming the A-grade talls are picked off before our pick 19, an elite mid and a solid mid with our first two picks, locking in Thorp with PSD and then stocking up with speculative KP's and ruck with our later picks would be a reasonable outcome in this draft.

theScabman said:
Maybe in a dream world that would happen.

This is big business, and no club will simply delist a player if they think they can gain something for them in return regardless of how much hindsight you put into now.

Is that right?

In business, reputation is everything, regardless of how big or small the business may be.

Port Adelaide delisted Nick Stevens to stand on a principle, Freo let Josh Carr run back to Port without making any effort to get anything at all back, before that there was Adam Heuskes, Zantuck, Cupido and Martin Pike. Plenty of clubs have had to delist players through the bargain bin because of antics or whatever.

Reputation is everything. You may have to do business with known shonks but they go straight onto the short leash and they don't get credit for anything. If there is any doubt, you just pull the pin as you know they can't be trusted.

Footy doesnt work that way.

All those players you mention had no value so there was no point. Stkilda shafted Ball much worse than Hawthorn did to Hay.

IrockZ said:
Footy doesnt work that way.

All those players you mention had no value so there was no point. Stkilda shafted Ball much worse than Hawthorn did to Hay.
Why,Saints offered Ball a 3 year deal?

cagedtiger said:
That's easy Hawthorn should simply have been transparent about the situation.

Sorry, I hadn't realised you'd been present and accounted for during the trade discussions.

cagedtiger said:
Hawthorn passed off damaged goods as in perfect working condition.

As above.

cagedtiger said:
If they were honest North would never have picked up Hay

Really? Despite how keen Laidley was on him and despite North jumping at picking-up a fully publicly-disclosed Thompson a year earlier.

Seeing as though you're so big on the detail of this issue, perhaps you can explain why North (never shy about giving it to Hawthorn, when the opportunity arises) chose to direct their chagrin at Hay for not disclosing during negotiations and not the Hawks. Given how easier a PR sell they would have had with the latter, you could almost think that they were also of the thinking that Hay's public disclosure was the first broad disclosure.