Graham - first ruck in 2010 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Graham - first ruck in 2010

jb03 said:
Amazingly showed more up forward today than Vickery ever has.
I personally liked our forward line structure with Jack and Gus. To my admittedly amateur eye, it gave us more to kick to.

Phar Ace said:
OK? you are a generous man Klinkster - do you give good Xmas presents too? ;D

I'm ok with that call, it's really hard to ruck all day in the AFL and Renouf has been ok considering his lack of fitness. If you really wanted to pull me up on something it would be describing a career dud like Skipper as a 'huge boost' :hihi

Fighting Fury said:
not that haw rucks were much chop...2 underdone logs...

Much better test for Gus next week...Hille and Ryder.

Agree, was flattered by Hawthorn's midget backline today. May be called on to work defensively next week as Hille & Ryder kicked 7 between them tonight.

We need to keep this in perspective.

Hawthorn aren't exactly endowed with ruckmen of any notable cailbre, and their backline would struggle for height against my son's u/8 Auskick team.

Gus got beaten in the hitouts, and kicked two goals against a defence that couldn't touch the top of his head if the backmen climbed on each other shoulders.

Long, long way to go here.

I was very surprised by Goose's game, but, then again, I was very surprised by three or four of his games last year too.

He has probably played his 4 best games ever in the AFL. Maybe he is just one of those big game players who responds when the challenge is on? He is certainly worth persevering with for the next 5 or 6 weeks at least.

As an interesting aside, Hardwick has set up a structure where the team plays like it has 3 or 4 marking forwards. Only problem is that until this week, it as only had one. So far, Graham has been the only tall forward to have stepped up to help Riewoldt.

He is a beast of a boy.

Pleasantly surprised. Hope he can take a few more steps forward over the next few weeks.

From what I saw today, Graham easily won the ruck battle. Certainly contributed to the clearances going our way. He just needs to believe in himself at his level and work harder on the ground accordingly.

Loved the line from the coach....

I did not think he had it in him. :help :help

Maybe just maybe he is one of those players that need to play in the one's.

well 100 x better than simmons and when he was up foward with jack rance and polak it just looked like a fowardline to work with

Phar Ace said:
Simmonds has delivered cover against vastly better,stronger and faster rucks.

He has? :shakehead
I must have missed those games the past two seasons, maybe you're referring to 3 years ago pharacio? ;)
Troy has been obviously past it for some time now & I personally don't think he's been covering much at all, just delaying the inevitable.

I won't by any means go as far as suggesting Gus being the long term answer after yesterday's game in isolation but he did show a bit in a few senior games last year also which was enough to suggest he should have been persevered with.
I really do wonder why it's taken 7 games so far for him to get his chance again but least he's now being given an opportunity to show what he is capable of.
Hopefully he goes on with it and we can send Troy off into retirement but if not we are no worse off for giving him a go.

No doubt put a decent effort in yesterday, but i think Hille and Ryder will have him bleeding from behind. Ryder will absolutely smash him with his mobility and smarts!! Let's not get too carried away after 1 performance against DUD oppposition rucks.

P.S - Would still have him in the side ahead of Simmonds. Would take Tuck in the ruck ahead of Simmonds though so not saying much really.

frawleyudud said:
No doubt put a decent effort in yesterday, but i think Hille and Ryder will have him bleeding from behind. Ryder will absolutely smash him with his mobility and smarts!! Let's not get too carried away after 1 performance against DUD oppposition rucks.
Hille will get suspended

Tigermad2005 said:
Loved the line from the coach....

I did not think he had it in him. :help :help

Maybe just maybe he is one of those players that need to play in the one's.
Was thinking the same thing

Col.W.Kurtz said:
Actually Renouf has been travelling ok this year- he has just been struggling playing a lone hand and runs out of puff. Having Skipper back was a huge boost for them because it allowed them to spell Renouf.

Hawks have struggled all year in the ruck. Thrashed every week similar to us. Hawks were better in the actual ruck contests. According to the stats, around 21 effective hitouts to 10. Around the ground Graham held his own. Ther real test will be against stronger rucks. Will surely get more games from here. Will be interesting to see how he handles himself. Certainly last year he did play a few honest performances.

As we have seen there is abosultely no benefit in playing Simmonds, he is finished and should have been cut last year.
At least Graham can win some taps and he did well to kick a couple of goal (should have had 3 if he could have kicked his first shot properly).
We should give Graham a chance to develop in the seniors and then still look to get a better ruckman at the end of this year. What's the worst that can happen, we lose all the taps and get thrashed every week.

I don't think Graham is our long term answer, at least not yet. But he played a hell of a lot better than expected. I'm starting to wonder if the coburg reports on Angus's performance were a deliberate attempt to lower everyone's expectations.

Angus needs to treat this game as his benchmark. If he never drops below that performance he may just make it.