Game Day-Scratch match Tiges v Norf | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day-Scratch match Tiges v Norf

Why are players being played out of position
Ralphsmith should be played on the wing not HB
Ross is a midfielder not a wing
Shorty is a running HB he’s not a midfielder
Nank will be thrashed by rucks that can jump as he can’t get off the ground remind me of Maric
Soldo is a better ruck at centre bounces than Nank

Reactions: 4 users
Why are players being played out of position
Ralphsmith should be played on the wing not HB
Ross is a midfielder not a wing
Shorty is a running HB he’s not a midfielder
Nank will be thrashed by rucks that can jump as he can’t get off the ground remind me of Maric
Soldo is a better ruck at centre bounces than Nank

Agree with all of that. Well, except the Short part. Reckon he should start on the bench these days.

Reactions: 1 users
should we be planning to get Sheezel in 3 years time ?

two 1st round picks and a case of scotch to Clarko

Thoughts on Tom Brown from esteemed watchers...
Showed a few things. Per his Bushranger days, he likes to play that zone role and take intercept marks. Sometimes it works for him at this level, sometimes not, yet. Has a bit of class. Still has a ways to go with ground level pressure - the Norf boys broke most of his tackles.

Reactions: 3 users
Showed a few things. Per his Bushranger days, he likes to play that zone role and take intercept marks. Sometimes it works for him at this level, sometimes not, yet. Has a bit of class. Still has a ways to go with ground level pressure - the Norf boys broke most of his tackles.

and the annoying thing was, the one time he made a great tackle, I think it was Ford, picked the ball up, spun to try and get out of the tackle, dropped it and the dumpire called a ball up.

Reactions: 1 user
That Paul Curtis is a handy player. Nice skills.
I noticed him in the North game last year. The media were all crowing over how good Zurhaar was, but Curtis for me really stood out at the ground, clean, tough and quick.

Greetings Pre-enders, I hope you've been enjoying your summers!

I watched a replay of the practice match with knowledge of the final score and this thread's comments in mind, so these observations may have less emotional bias than usual. Less, but not none :eyes

After the 3rd period:

Overall, the team has looked consistently dominant over the opening 3 periods.
Prestia is Prestia, Martin is Martin... and Taranto is one of them. Nothing more needs to be said about Taranto ;)
Cotchin and Rioli up forward are a beauty to watch. Cotchin kicked a goal off-camera... that's how easy he makes it.
Judson Clarke is the player who impressed me the most in terms of improvement between 2022 to 2023. Looks like a premiership quality role player right now. Always ready to act, never a delayed response.
Dan Rioli gelled really well with Clarke/Ralphsmith for applying tandem pressure - they make the opponents argue over who has to accept the ball.
Samson Ryan looked comfortable in the contest and continued to show signs of ground-level nous. The poor kicking wasn't a window into future performance, so I'll disregard. He gets an A+ for shedding the Vickery hair.
Miller looked reliable. Half a step forward... down back and up forward.
Vlastuin, Grimes, Balta - the human fortification guild. Balta in particular stayed in the game when the umpires were against him, which I was happy to see.
Hopper returned from last year's knee injury with two nice, classy kicks I50, and looked like an Edwards/Lambert level of midfielder. He took a strong, contested mark in the middle of the ground from a short kick when surrounded by a couple of opposition players, which was a sign of his height being used as an advantage as a midfielder. I'm a big believer in our fundamentally fast, direct game plan, and most of his contested possessions were quick and direct. I only noticed one instance of him handballing slow and sideways, and that was during a tackle. I didn't notice any signs of him being another Prestia/Martin/Taranto, but that doesn't mean he can't be, and it doesn't mean he won't be... I just didn't notice signs of it during his first practice match after injury (as of the 3rd period).

After the 3rd period, I haven't noticed the umpires at all. Maybe I was expecting them to be worse?

I'll watch the 4th period now.
Okay, after watching the 4th period, I still haven't been bothered by the umpires! I did notice 1 disappointing decision (the insufficient intent against Ross), and 1 soft in the back paid against Young. Also, maybe the high against Mansell in our F50. But nothing has really bothered me to be honest. Same as last year.

Seth Campbell had a lot of praise above, so I was looking out for him. In this 4th period, he's had 2 classy possessions in space, and defensively he doesn't hesitate. Nice, but I wouldn't agree with the praise just yet (maybe I will after the next 2 periods).
Ross quicker with the ball, following on from last year. Not bad.
Mansell deserves a mention.
Dow has now caught my eye.
Cumbo came on this period and looked like he belonged there. The linkup between Campbell, Cumbo, Clarke felt like I was watching Edwards/Cotchin/Lambert type ball movement in the early days. Small sample size, but in hindsight this could prove to be an alarm bell for the competition in terms of things to come.

Off to watch the 5th and 6th periods now!

Reactions: 8 users
Is there a harder runner in the AFL than Kaps ?

I watched him in the 4th quarter when you’d be expecting most guys to be losing a yard, and his defensive running without the ball, and the speed at which he was doing it, was incredible.

At one point he ran all the way from the forward pocket to the back pocket at absolute full tilt just to fill up space and defend at the other end of the ground without reward, waving his arms and instructing others in the process.

Hardest two way runner you’ll see. Brilliant.

Prefer Ralphsmith doing something similar off a wing rather than playing a defined role deep in defence.

Reactions: 8 users
Everyone is excited about Tarranto because his biggest asset is he has a tank that gets him up and down ground like no other.
Lambert & Edwards shared that role prior now Tarranto owes it.
We had an opportunity to off load more players.
Not convinced Mansel, Biggy, Ralphsmith were worth keeping.
The biggest issue with what I saw today is Nakas isn't a centre bounce ruckman, we leak goals out the back tooo easily and the umpires hate us with a passion.
It was impossible to ignore the non calls for us and the under 12's free kicks nth received.
My likes BigV, Prestia, Tarranto & Clarke
Worried. Nakas Cumberland and Grimes.

Best thing was getting through unscathed. Prestia staying injury free is almost the key to our season

Reactions: 1 user
I have no idea what they are doing with Cumberland - he is first 22 and should not be running around in the seconds. He came on and immediately we looked more dangerous. He's likely to kick 40+ goals if we play him....

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I was there too and agree with all but will add -
Ross on a wing again, why? There was a dead wing with a strong cross breeze. Ross spent a lot of time on the dead side. He is unlucky this kid.
Especially with short foundering in the middle. Why not swap them?

I watched Cumberland off the ball - he just reads the play ahead of his backman again and again. Amazingly instinctive footballer, has to play.

Narkle would have been handy today !
Correct, I cannot believe Rossy, gets the short order from the coaches. He is atm better than Shorty, he was putrid today.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Taranto will win the JD. Unless Meatball does.

Hopper flogged by Davies-Uniacke.

Two-minute defend a lead drill and we have Shorty in the centre bounce. No.

Hugo fumbly and lacking awareness. So, Hugo.

Brown had a couple of boyish moments in the first quarter and a bit, then showcased his reading of the play and use a couple of times.

Ryan's filling out nicely, another 12 months and he'll be a man.

MoJu's a genius.

KMac everywhere.

Tylar Young 2/2 wins against Larkey. Might play.

Chimp averaging 2 goals and 4 goal assists per game.

Zuuuuuhaaar is the new Duckwood.
Agree with most but Hopper flogged? Was very neat around stoppages and had a handful of lovely kicks inside 50, lowering the eyes and hitting up targets

Reactions: 2 users
I have no idea what they are doing with Cumberland - he is first 22 and should not be running around in the seconds. He came on and immediately we looked more dangerous. He's likely to kick 40+ goals if we play him....

I agree hes a beauty,

But hes a pure forward,

Who needs to fit in amongst

Tarranto JR dusty $hai tom mrj cotchy

It will be great if lasers cumberland wins the frosty miller medal

Agree with most but Hopper flogged? Was very neat around stoppages and had a handful of lovely kicks inside 50, lowering the eyes and hitting up targets

@spook 's been eating too many mushrooms up in the rainbow region

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users